The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal World
Well I would ask her about stuff I know she has knowledge of but she hasn't misinterpreted my sarcasm so she wouldn't be a good person to ask.

I would think that a person who doesn't misinterpret your feeble attempt at sarcasm would be a better person than me to ask about how you should express sarcasm, no? Do you normally ask advice on a topic from people who a) get it or b) don't get it? Personally I'd go for a), but then, I'm not Syrian/Arab/Levantine/Italian/British/German/American/delete as appropriate, so apparently I'm not allowed to express an opinion.
Original post by Achaea
I would think that a person who doesn't misinterpret your feeble attempt at sarcasm would be a better person than me to ask about how you should express sarcasm, no? Do you normally ask advice on a topic from people who a) get it or b) don't get it? Personally I'd go for a), but then, I'm not Syrian/Arab/Levantine/Italian/British/German/American/delete as appropriate, so apparently I'm not allowed to express an opinion.

Thanks for your constructive criticism. I shall take it on board.
Original post by Achaea
I'm mixed race myself. Unlike you, however, I don't feel the need to drone on about my heritage in every post I make in an attempt to shore up desperately weak points and so-called 'arguments'. And watch out, because if you sneakily try to accuse me of racism or bigotry and 'having trouble with mixed race people' again (when I feeaking well AM one!), I will report you to the mods.

I don't mention my heritage in every post I make unless it requires me to,people ask of it and seeing as we are talking about cultural appropriation here,it fits in with what people have said and asked so I don't understand how that concerns you? I'm free to respond to people on here however I like. Why are you getting touchy for? Nobody has accused you of racism. You haven't even contributed to anything on the topic of the thread,you've just been focusing on me being a Levantine and Italian and your responses to ethereal world when she ask you a simple question on her humour,you felt the need to comment on my heritage to her when nobody even mentioned that. Nobody has accused you of racism,just saying
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by queen-bee
I don't mention my heritage in every post I make unless it requires me to,people ask of it and seeing as we are talking about cultural appropriation here,it fits in with what people have said and asked so I don't understand how that concerns you? I'm free to respond to people on here however I like. Why are you getting touchy for? Nobody has accused you of racism.

What you said to me was "You seem to have trouble with mixed raced people." Like this isn't a sneaky, nasty little accusation of racism. Just because you didn't say the word 'racist' doesn't mean you weren't accusing me of it. Anyway, I'm now doing something I should have done a looooooong time ago and putting you on my ignore list. So you needn't bother replying because I won't see it. (Though I know you will because you always have to have the last word. So have at it.)
I'm glad you've put me on your ignore list 'archae',works for us both. Nobody accused you of racism,you're choosing to interpret it that way. you seem to be fixated on me being mixed race and keep bringing it up on posts where it's of no concern,just saying it how it is
queen bee is the one of the only people on this forum who actually seems to really understand the complexity of the situation in Syria, from what I've observed.

There's a reason you can't find a post to substantiate this...

But, also, take a look at her very next post, where she does exactly what Achaea accused her of doing (using identity politics to claim her opinion on a matter is superior merely because she "speaks the language" etc):

What baffles me most is that they think they are more knowledgable and experienced than a person who is from that particular country,speaks the language and identifies with the culture because of a few things they've seen on the news.

Do all people who speak Arabic inherently have a better understanding of the Syrian conflict than those that don't?

Original post by Achaea
'I was just parodying the fact I don't really have a life' So it's a fact that you don't have a life and aren't a real person? LOL, OK then. You said it, not me. And your attempt at parody would only work if there was something to parody, that is, if someone claimed that you don't have a life. Which no one did. So your sarcasm, or rather your poor attempt at it, and defensiveness are misplaced. If you expressed yourself properly in the first place, and were able to express sarcasm (I would think your 'bomb' of a brain might do it better, tbh), you wouldn't need to facepalm.

10/10

:congrats:
Original post by Shillary

But, also, take a look at her very next post, where she does exactly what Achaea accused her of doing (using identity politics to claim her opinion on a matter is superior merely because she "speaks the language" etc):

Do all people who speak Arabic inherently have a better understanding of the Syrian conflict than those that don't?

10/10

Not all but a Syrian surely is more knowledgeable than you on matters concerning their own country,just like you have with Iran.

10/10

Yeah I got Rekt.
Yeah I got Rekt.

At least you are mature enough to admit it, so fair play. :h:
At least you are mature enough to admit it, so fair play. :h:

Faux admission for ease.
Original post by Good bloke
I don't know. I'm trying to understand what you mean by exploiting, and why it is only bad if it is a minority culture. The latter just seems to mean that ethnic/religious minorities may benefit from white culture, but not the reverse, and I don't understand.

Why can a black man wear a suit but a white man cannot wear a sarong? What constitutes a minority anyway; there are far more Asians in the world than Europeans, so surely Europeans are in the minority?

What is the purpose of this ban on assimilation, and why is it not counterproductive to people getting on together?

Just answer my points above, then we may be able to progress.

Aye,I'm still trying to understand the entire concept of cultural appropriation,not there yet. It's a focus on minority cultures mostly, from what I understand. I think they're talking about minorities populations in the UK

The purpose of it is to prevent exploitation of minority cultures,how many times does this have to be repeated?
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think you'll find people agree it works the other way around.

I don't care what 'people' think. :indiff: I'm talking to you right now, so I want to know what you think and why you think it.

This whole cultural appropriation thing is focuses on the minority exploitation by the majority

You know I'm a huge fan of multiculturalism and race mixing but I'm not about the business of taking advantage of minority cultures

This is getting tiresome, so I'll ask again: why does it only work one way? Why do you assume that anybody adopting something from a 'minority' culture is doing so in order to attract attention/mock/exploit it? Is the King of Jordan being malicious when he wears a suit and tie?

You keep using words like 'exploitation', 'taking advantage', and 'victims' before you've even proven the circumstances that would make it justified to use them. :facepalm:
You don't get to police what I choose to identify as. I'm half Syrian and half Italian

Why are you obsessed with your heritage?

I am genuinely curious.
In a way being part of an identity does allow you a certain authority if that identity is being discussed. We can learn on an academic level about a lot of stuff but when you actually have experienced something the understanding of a situation is a lot more powerful and accurate. There is a lot of ignorance both on here and in general about Syria- people forming all of their opinions through the media- and queen bee is the one of the only people on this forum who actually seems to really understand the complexity of the situation in Syria, from what I've observed.

On this forum (and in life) there is a lot of bigotry and stubborn behaviour and referring to an identity is a way to highlight that first hand knowledge of a situation is far superior to knowledge acquired from biased media.

You tagged the wrong user. :wink: It's queen-bee, not Queen Bee.
You would make an excellent slave.

Lmfao.
You would make an excellent slave.

:lolwut:

[scroll]:run:[/scroll]

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
Why are you obsessed with your heritage?

I am genuinely curious.

I'm not? So now talking about one's heritage means they're obsessed?

Im proud to be a Syrian and an Italian just like you're proud to be British
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not? So now talking about one's heritage means they're obsessed?

No, you talk about your heritage on a regular basis, it is even on your profile.
Original post by Hydeman
:lolwut:

[scroll]:run:[/scroll]

Spoiler

Y'all wanna turn this into a witch hunt so bad, I know secretly some of these kids believe cultural appropriation exists but don't want to risk looking uncool on an anonymous student forum.
Original post by DiddyDec
No, you talk about your heritage on a regular basis, it is even on your profile.

Most of the threads where I do talk about my heritage concerns the Middle East,so it's relevant. I have been insulted many times and racially abused on here for being an Arab but not once for being an Italian. So what if it's on my profile? My heritage is part of my identity lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending