The Student Room Group

what age should you be when you get your first laptop?

my mum wont buy me my own laptop even though I think it would be useful to have my own for revision and studying, I told her this but she still says I can have one when I go to uni. im currently studying for my GCSEs and I am in year 10. ( I am quiet motivated in my studying)
Do you think I am to young to have my own laptop ???
What age would you say is right to get a laptop ???

Scroll to see replies

You don't /need/ a laptop. You can go to your local library, borrow your mum/dad/sibling's computer. It isn't necessity.

But I will say, there's literally nothing wrong with getting a laptop at your age. There is no magic age. You know when you need one.
Depends, do you have a computer at home you use? If yes then I would say you don't really need a laptop until you're in college, and even then you won't always NEED one. To answer your questions, I think you're old enough to have one but don't need one, and you could always ask for a laptop for your 16th next year. Personally I've never had a laptop but I have had my own PC since I was in year 10. I recently bought my own brand new computer and my dad took the other one back and I will probably get myself a laptop when I go to uni in September to take to lectures and stuff.
Reply 3
k thanks , I use my mums laptop when I need to but both my parents sometimes need it for their work so its not always available when im doing revision.and yeah im gonna ask for one for my 16 th birthday :smile:
Reply 4
I didn't get one until I went to university. I didn't need a laptop at GCSE myself and only had one piece of coursework for AS, which I typed up at school.
Reply 5
Original post by anonomon
my mum wont buy me my own laptop even though I think it would be useful to have my own for revision and studying, I told her this but she still says I can have one when I go to uni. im currently studying for my GCSEs and I am in year 10. ( I am quiet motivated in my studying)
Do you think I am to young to have my own laptop ???
What age would you say is right to get a laptop ???

Probably during Y11...
Id say Y10 so that you can do your coursework (though it would have to last through uni also)
I got a laptop at 18 for when I went to university. I don't think you really need one before this, provided you have access to a computer somehow and at some point during your A levels for essays/research. You can easily revise from revision guides and so on so you don't need constant access to a laptop for revision. To be honest I think the first time you NEED one is when you start uni as it really is just a hassle to try and do without there as you can't assume there'll be a public computer free when you need it. You can't complain too much about it now, you could always get a part time job and save up for your own laptop. If you're not prepared to buy one yourself then it is up to your mum when you get one.
Reply 8
I had my own desktop as a present when I went into Y7, then contributed towards a new (better) laptop going into Y10 when they wanted to make use of the desktop.

Built my own PC at the end of Y12 but I still use the laptop at school :yep:
Reply 9
Original post by Amellia123
Id say Y10 so that you can do your coursework (though it would have to last through uni also)

It's a big ask to expect a laptop to last the 4 years to the end of Y13, let alone through uni. I'd expect 4 years to be the maximum useful lifespan of most laptops out there.

Mine had great specs for 2012 with a dedicated GPU, but it's already being out-performed by laptops with no GPU thanks to the developments in CPU efficiency and optimisation of programs and operating systems to new hardware.
(edited 8 years ago)
Before 30 if you are a girl.
I got my laptop when I was in Y6.
I'd say you're old enough for a laptop, but they're not exactly cheap so I can see why your parents might not want you to get one if it's not a necessity.
Original post by Alexion
It's a big ask to expect a laptop to last the 4 years to the end of Y13, let alone through uni. I'd expect 4 years to be the maximum useful lifespan of most laptops out there.

Mine had great specs for 2012 with a dedicated GPU, but it's already being out-performed by laptops with no GPU thanks to the developments in CPU efficiency and optimisation of programs and operating systems to new hardware.

look at me i can build a PC
Original post by Alexion

My old laptop lasted 6 years, it depends on how much crap you load onto it that slows it down - you can always buy more ram to improve its performance slightly anyways. As long as does what you need for uni its fine - I personally don't get tied down by 'how good the specs are' compared to last years model.

P.S this laptop has lasted me 4 years so far and still feels ad good as when I first bought it
Original post by Bobjim12
look at me i can build a PC

I was talking about my laptop there :unimpressed:
I literally got my first laptop last September before starting uni. I just used my PC up until then.
if you are talking about my own private laptop then i got it when i started my sixth form so i take to sixth and study :h:
I don't think owning a laptop is one of those things that there's a 'right' age for.
What are you gonna do with it? It all depends on that. If you want it for entertainment, then not a good idea. Get it after alevel. If you want it for studying then alright but it's easy to get distracted when you have a magic board beside you when you are not an adult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending