The Student Room Group

Still failing A level biology!

Hi, im doing AQA A level biology. I totally bombed it at AS ( i got a U) due to the awful exam, but my teacher let me carry it on to A2 as she believes i can pass it. My other A levels are English lit (which i'm getting A's in) and Psychology (getting B/C's). I'm really worried that i will fail bio again which will mean i will only have two A levels! ( I'm resiting AS aswell so its double the amount of work!) Any advice would be great, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
work hard man past papers .. revise...revise...revise ps love your tsr name
What exactly do you have a problem with? I don't do AQA but I am sure it isn't wildly different from OCR.
Reply 3
Original post by Dinasaurus
What exactly do you have a problem with? I don't do AQA but I am sure it isn't wildly different from OCR.

yoo im doing ocr bio too how you finiding it and what units have u completed (AS) ?
Original post by Synonym
yoo im doing ocr bio too how you finiding it and what units have u completed (AS) ?

I'm doing A2, I'm resitting AS though, I need to look at F211 again soon as that is my first exam.
Reply 5
I'm doing A2, I'm resitting AS though, I need to look at F211 again soon as that is my first exam.

what else you taking ?
are u re-sitting the whole of AS?
Original post by Synonym
what else you taking ?

In terms of AS just F211, I'm also doing Maths and Chemistry.
Reply 8
In terms of AS just F211, I'm also doing Maths and Chemistry.

ah maths and chem i dropped maths .. and chem is just a myth... that **** is pissin me off .. most likely gonna drop it after AS
Reply 9
I was finding it quite hard too but then I just worked 100x harder, made (prettier, more colourful) notes and now I totally get it.

It may seem childish, but it worked so wahey. :u:
I'm doing A2 Bio.
Theres alot of content so im making notes, should be done in 4 more days.
Making notes is normally a waste of time(better to just memorise it off the pages) but I don't understand alot of the content as I am self teaching A2 Bio. So i thought making notes would be a good way to familarise myself with it, not remember it. It also takes ages.

Seriously just memorize every page one way or another, there is no quick way. If you spend a month on it(examsare close) that shouldbe enough.

What I do is read a chapter in one go (4 chapters for OCR each 28 pages aprox)(40 for unit 4).
Takes an hour. I then do this 3 more times in the day for four days and i remember it.
I end up reading the whole book 16 times this way. Takes 16 days for one unit.
You don't have that much time so I would do 8 a day. That would take 32 days.
Original post by Synonym
ah maths and chem i dropped maths .. and chem is just a myth... that **** is pissin me off .. most likely gonna drop it after AS

Yeah, I find my A level choices to be pretty difficult. Especially maths, what A levels do you do?
Yeah, I find my A level choices to be pretty difficult. Especially maths, what A levels do you do?

bio chem economics and psychology
Original post by Synonym
bio chem economics and psychology

Damn you were doing 5 choices?
Damn you were doing 5 choices?

ohh nooo i dropped maths picked up psychology
Original post by Synonym
work hard man past papers .. revise...revise...revise ps love your tsr name

Thank you! Will try to do more past papers

I really struggle with translating the information into exam answers! The questions are worded really difficultly 😕 i also really hate anything to do with cells, meisos and mitosis in particular 😦
Original post by Anonymousfame98
are u re-sitting the whole of AS?

Yes, unfortunately 😦
Original post by whydoidothis?
I'm doing A2 Bio.
Theres alot of content so im making notes, should be done in 4 more days.
Making notes is normally a waste of time(better to just memorise it off the pages) but I don't understand alot of the content as I am self teaching A2 Bio. So i thought making notes would be a good way to familarise myself with it, not remember it. It also takes ages.

Seriously just memorize every page one way or another, there is no quick way. If you spend a month on it(examsare close) that shouldbe enough.

What I do is read a chapter in one go (4 chapters for OCR each 28 pages aprox)(40 for unit 4).
Takes an hour. I then do this 3 more times in the day for four days and i remember it.
I end up reading the whole book 16 times this way. Takes 16 days for one unit.
You don't have that much time so I would do 8 a day. That would take 32 days.

Thank you thats really helpful. First AS exam is on the 26th may and last A2 exam is on the 23rd june so should have enough time to squeeze it all in, thanks 😊
Original post by Dinaa
I was finding it quite hard too but then I just worked 100x harder, made (prettier, more colourful) notes and now I totally get it.

It may seem childish, but it worked so wahey. :u:

Thank you! I do put the most work into bio by far, i just want to be mindful of my other two as i obviously need to pass them! 😦

Quick Reply

Latest