The Student Room Group

OCR A 2016 Chemistry A* A-Level Resources

Scroll to see replies

F325 is going to be horrendous this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
F324 was horrendous last year, F235 wasn't too bad. I think it'll switch this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I heard f321 went batshit crazy for most people. I don't understand why they do it. Obviously test people's ability but no need to throw in so many curveballs.
It causes the boundaries to close up and the gap between the best and worst closes.

Anyway, last year of the spec so expect a train wreck of exams this summer

Posted from TSR Mobile
I came across a question in the June 2012 F321 paper, and I'm not entirely sure how to work it out.

Question:
A student is given a sample of an unknown Group 2 chloride.
- The student dissolves 2.86g of the chloride in water.
- The student adds excess aqueous silver nitrate.
- 8.604g of solid silver chloride, AgCl, forms.

In part i) I worked out that there are 0.06 moles of AgCl

Part ii) asks: to deduce the amount in moles of the group 2 chloride that the student dissolves. Hence deduce the relative atomic mass and identity of the group 2 metal. Give RAM to 1 d.p.

Help and explanation please?
Original post by gooner_hsj
I came across a question in the June 2012 F321 paper, and I'm not entirely sure how to work it out.

Question:
A student is given a sample of an unknown Group 2 chloride.
- The student dissolves 2.86g of the chloride in water.
- The student adds excess aqueous silver nitrate.
- 8.604g of solid silver chloride, AgCl, forms.

In part i) I worked out that there are 0.06 moles of AgCl

Part ii) asks: to deduce the amount in moles of the group 2 chloride that the student dissolves. Hence deduce the relative atomic mass and identity of the group 2 metal. Give RAM to 1 d.p.

Help and explanation please?

Ok so you know there are 0.06 moles of Cl. Think about if it's a group 2 chloride what is the equation nCl2 so there must be 0.06/2 moles (because of the moles of AgCl).
Use Mr = mass/ mole
Then use the periodic table to work out which group 2 compound it is !
Take it one step at a time !

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you guys think will come up this year in the exam? for F324/F325
Original post by cream123
What do you guys think will come up this year in the exam? for F324/F325

Pretty much everything comes up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh- best to cover all bases
Guys with the copper iodine equation, it says two of the iodide ions do not change oxidation state?

I was wondering how this fits into the half equations?

So I thought it would be:

Cu2+ + e- --> Cu+

2I- --> I2 + 2e-

But I know 2 iodide ions are missing from the overall equation so where would we put them? Or is it a matter of just balancing each side? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457834109.472455.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
As part of an investigation, a student needed to prepare a buffer solution with a pH value of8.71. From the Ka value of phenol, the student thought that a mixture of phenol and sodiumphenoxide could be used to prepare this buffer solution.The student decided to use a 0.200 mol dm–3 solution of phenol, mixed with an equalvolume of sodium phenoxide.Use your knowledge of buffer solutions to determine the concentration of sodium phenoxidesolution that the student would need to mix with the 0.200 mol dm–3 phenol solution ka=1.3*10^-10

i keep getting 0.013 but answer is 0.13
1.3*10^-10 *0.2/10^-8.71=0.013
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Guys with the copper iodine equation, it says two of the iodide ions do not change oxidation state?

Cu2+ + e- --> Cu+

2I- --> I2 + 2e-

But I know 2 iodide ions are missing from the overall equation so where would we put them? Or is it a matter of just balancing each side? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457834109.472455.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to balance both sides and then I think just add in the remaining iodide ions because they don't change oxidation state they are not involved in an ionic equation.
If someone could explain it better would be great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cu2+ + e- --> Cu+

2I- --> I2 + 2e-

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't really get this either when I looked at it but I think it might be because the iodide ions are in excess?? So two of them change oxidation state to become I2 and then two iodide ions are needed to react with the 2 Cu2+ to form 2 CuI2?? Sorry that was a really crap explanation but I think if you just remember that two extra Iodide ions are required to react with copper (II) ions to form copper iodide you'll be fine:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LThomas694
I didn't really get this either when I looked at it but I think it might be because the iodide ions are in excess?? So two of them change oxidation state to become I2 and then two iodide ions are needed to react with the 2 Cu2+ to form 2 CuI2?? Sorry that was a really crap explanation but I think if you just remember that two extra Iodide ions are required to react with copper (II) ions to form copper iodide you'll be fine:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, that makes a bit more sense - also assuming you mean CuI?

I'm hoping they won't ask us for half equations then lol I don't know what I would put...

Maybe just add an extra equation for 2I- + 2Cu+ --> 2CuI

But thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CSLady
You need to balance both sides and then I think just add in the remaining iodide ions because they don't change oxidation state they are not involved in an ionic equation.
If someone could explain it better would be great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I thought aha thanks, still not quite sure of the half equations we'd need but maybe they won't ask us for those...or they'll accept the ones I put? because technically that's what's happening right, if we ignore the Cu lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's what I thought aha thanks, still not quite sure of the half equations we'd need but maybe they won't ask us for those...or they'll accept the ones I put? because technically that's what's happening right, if we ignore the Cu lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thinking about it as I2 is a solid they will probably say that a precipitate is formed which will hunt at the l2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CSLady
Thinking about it as I2 is a solid they will probably say that a precipitate is formed which will hunt at the l2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But what would that hint to exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by R.abokor
As part of an investigation, a student needed to prepare a buffer solution with a pH value of8.71. From the Ka value of phenol, the student thought that a mixture of phenol and sodiumphenoxide could be used to prepare this buffer solution.The student decided to use a 0.200 mol dm–3 solution of phenol, mixed with an equalvolume of sodium phenoxide.Use your knowledge of buffer solutions to determine the concentration of sodium phenoxidesolution that the student would need to mix with the 0.200 mol dm–3 phenol solution ka=1.3*10^-10

i keep getting 0.013 but answer is 0.13
1.3*10^-10 *0.2/10^-8.71=0.013

Where is this question from? I got the same answer as you too I don't see what you did wrong, maybe there's a mistake in the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But what would that hint to exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Suggested question.
Copper and iodine are mixed forming a solution and a solid.
Work out the full equation.

That sort of hint ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CSLady
Suggested question.
Copper and iodine are mixed forming a solution and a solid.
Work out the full equation.

That sort of hint ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

is that the full question?

Good work helping each other guys! In most cases people seem to answer each other before I have a chance to even see the question! I'll get round to it eventually just post it again if I miss it.

I'm not going to work out what the question is, please post the full question if you want me to answer :smile:

Here's a video that explains it well I think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAkFX-7n8iU

Any further questions just ask.
Original post by ForgottenApple
is that the full question?

Good work helping each other guys! In most cases people seem to answer each other before I have a chance to even see the question! I'll get round to it eventually just post it again if I miss it.

I'm not going to work out what the question is, please post the full question if you want me to answer :smile:

Here's a video that explains it well I think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAkFX-7n8iU

Any further questions just ask.

Hey no it's not the full question, it's actually not a question at all I was just wondering if they would ask us for the half equations of the reaction and what we'd be expected to write as they don't balance to form the overall equation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest