The Student Room Group

i have signed up for NCS but i dont know anyone!!

has anyone done ncs before. i m really looking forward to it but my only worry is that i wont make friends with the 15 people i am grouped with. Did anyone meed their group before they went away to to the first week?
Im a very friendly and out going person, but sometimes i lack confindence. i am woking on looking more confident and being able to make new friends quicker but what if i nobody likes me or i dont like them? has anyone has this problem?
i need to get good at making new friends as i am going to college where i wont know anyone at all which although daunting is very exciting and im looking forward to it. i feel that ncs wil help me gain confidence.
i have read good and bad reveiws about ncs what was your experience of it?
thank you,
E xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AimlessWishes
has anyone done ncs before. i m really looking forward to it but my only worry is that i wont make friends with the 15 people i am grouped with. Did anyone meed their group before they went away to to the first week?
Im a very friendly and out going person, but sometimes i lack confindence. i am woking on looking more confident and being able to make new friends quicker but what if i nobody likes me or i dont like them? has anyone has this problem?
i need to get good at making new friends as i am going to college where i wont know anyone at all which although daunting is very exciting and im looking forward to it. i feel that ncs wil help me gain confidence.
thank you,
E xx

To be honest i feel exactly the same way, i signed up for ncs too but im scared about the fact i won't know anyone.
Reply 2
I did it last year and tbh I am very shy and awkward but everyone is, once you do the crazy activities you bond really fast. For example we did coasteering and the waves were insane so when we finished everyone was so happy and laughing about it.
Hi guys, I did NCS last year and a lot of people went felt exactly the same way, including myself. However, we all ended up having one of the best times in our lives!! Just remember that everyone is in exactly the same position as you so it's very easy to make friends. Also the first day is mainly spent breaking the ice and getting to know each other. The fact that you all share rooms with each other makes it very easy to get to know your peers. By the second night we were already talking to each other as if we had known each other for ages. The challenge week (the first week) involves a lot of teamwork activities which is great for bonding as well. I gave this same advice to my best friend who was doing a later week to me and she enjoyed it just as much as I did. Just go into it with an open mind and remember everyone is in exactly the same position. I'm so envious you guys have yet to go on it because I want to do it all over again!
thank you,
E xx

I havent done NCS before but i have done a residential summer school thing where i was panicking about because my friend backed out and i was going alone, i actually nearly canceled it! tbh, the organisers know that people will be nervous and wont know each other etc so they will put you in group activities and literally by 3 hours i was good friends with most of the group!
it's been nearly a year now and im still in contact with most of the people i met on the trip!
don't stress yourself out about it, relax and just have a nice laugh and chat with people
Reply 5
Original post by papertown
Hi guys, I did NCS last year and a lot of people went felt exactly the same way, including myself. However, we all ended up having one of the best times in our lives!! Just remember that everyone is in exactly the same position as you so it's very easy to make friends. Also the first day is mainly spent breaking the ice and getting to know each other. The fact that you all share rooms with each other makes it very easy to get to know your peers. By the second night we were already talking to each other as if we had known each other for ages. The challenge week (the first week) involves a lot of teamwork activities which is great for bonding as well. I gave this same advice to my best friend who was doing a later week to me and she enjoyed it just as much as I did. Just go into it with an open mind and remember everyone is in exactly the same position. I'm so envious you guys have yet to go on it because I want to do it all over again!

woww it sounds so exciting, I love meeting new people but im very awkward especially when it comes to guys because i rarely talk to them, but it seems like everyone will feel the same so i'll try to be open.
i'm also thinking about doing it this year, how much did u lot pay for it?
Reply 7
Original post by Helpmepickone
i'm also thinking about doing it this year, how much did u lot pay for it?

£50
Original post by mk_cbc
£50

wait r u doing it this year?
Reply 9
wait r u doing it this year?

yepp, going on the 23rd of july.
Original post by mk_cbc
yepp, going on the 23rd of july.

how have u lot got ur dates?
we only got our application form on friday
NCS is an opportunity to meet new people and learn new skills, remember?
Reply 12
how have u lot got ur dates?
we only got our application form on friday

Well they told us to sign up on the website ncsthechallenge, from there we would be able to fill in the application, pick the date we want to go on and then pay.
Original post by mk_cbc
Well they told us to sign up on the website ncsthechallenge, from there we would be able to fill in the application, pick the date we want to go on and then pay.

o i see
this NCS thing, do we get put into groups with people dont know?
Reply 14
o i see
this NCS thing, do we get put into groups with people dont know?

yeah we do, it seems kinda scary for me because i get nervous around new people but people say its a good experience so i guess its worth it.
Part of the reason why the experience is going to make you better is basically forcing you out of your comfort zone. Don't worry about it--a lot of the people you'll meet probably feel exactly the same.
I did it 3 years ago and didnt know anyone nor the area it was in, to this day i'm still friends with my group :smile: It's really a confidence builder and you become really close with your group because you literally experience so many different team building exercises, everything from presentations to canoeing and abseiling. You'll really enjoy it once you get there and the staff will make everyone feel comfortable.
Also if you book early it's only £35
(edited 8 years ago)
I really wish you get over the anxiety, OP. I understand how it can be a bit terrifying to be in your position. Don't worry. It's just like meeting any new group of people--that's probably why it's so scary! :biggrin:
Anyone going on the 1st of August, wave 2??

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you,
E xx

I did NCS last year and honestly I felt the same way before doing it but believe me, everyone else is in the same boat so by the end of the first week everyone was pretty 'close'. Before doing NCS there was a evening where basically we got to meet our group and just do like bonding sessions, however I couldn't go to this but it didn't really effect me that much. You do have pretty jam packed days, especially in the residential so free time is usually just spent hanging around in various places with the group haha. As I said you are not alone and I found that when people were put in groups, every group stuck together so you'll never be left out. I know it's daunting at first, I am not exactly a social butterfly and I did NCS for the same reasons as you and I did open up a lot more than I thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending