The Student Room Group

How do you get over a friend?

It sounds like a weird question.

But I find myself at a point where it seems clear that certain people no longer wish to be friends. There are too many unanswered messages and other signs support this conclusion.

I'm not sure how to "move on". I valued their friendships and we've been through much together. It's still hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that for them, it is now meaningless. How do I learn to just "not care" about these people?

I usually don't have such a problem with people I'm with romantically because I will have grown to hate them over time or we are no longer together because we have mutually decided we aren't compatible in which case it's not necessary to move on.

I make the post anonymously as I'd prefer to not be identified.
I've been in this situation before.

It can be tempting to just think about the people who don't care about you, but if they're insistent on not talking to you, all you can do is to keep going forward and make new friends.
Reply 2
Original post by SecretDuck
I've been in this situation before.

It can be tempting to just think about the people who don't care about you, but if they're insistent on not talking to you, all you can do is to keep going forward and make new friends.

I have moved on but I keep glancing at their name, just trying to will them back into my life. I distract myself for some time but the feeling always returns. I'm not sure I'm really dealing with it. Just shoving it down until it raises its ugly head.
Original post by Anonymous
It sounds like a weird question.

But I find myself at a point where it seems clear that certain people no longer wish to be friends. There are too many unanswered messages and other signs support this conclusion.

I'm not sure how to "move on". I valued their friendships and we've been through much together. It's still hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that for them, it is now meaningless. How do I learn to just "not care" about these people?

I usually don't have such a problem with people I'm with romantically because I will have grown to hate them over time or we are no longer together because we have mutually decided we aren't compatible in which case it's not necessary to move on.

I make the post anonymously as I'd prefer to not be identified.

Clearly they weren't friends in the first place were they? I have a true friend who i can talk to almost anything about, He's not even in the country i live in but we stil keep in contact, that's called a true friend.

I've also learned something which might benefit you aswell.
Be your best friend that way you don't need to care about anyone else who "appeared to be your friend"
I'm in the opposite of your situation, I have a friend who Ive slowly been letting go as they became really toxic and self centred. I do miss their company very much but I always remember it's for the best. My advice would be to be that Person/Friend who you would like around in your life and give it your best effort, if they still drift then they don't deserve you.
x
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I have moved on but I keep glancing at their name, just trying to will them back into my life. I distract myself for some time but the feeling always returns. I'm not sure I'm really dealing with it. Just shoving it down until it raises its ugly head.

Just accept it and allow it not to bother you. Then over time it will go away. Have you opened up to another friend or family about how you are feeling?

Shoving things down never helps.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm very alone in my new school and I have NO friends at all to hang out with. So I have no idea how to make new ones ... They might only comeback to you when they will need something.
Reply 7
Also in my old school, I had two best friends. We all used to hang out with each other for a long time and became very close. After a while one of the girls got jealous that I got a better relationship with the other one and did the worst she could for me to leave 'her' friend. It's alright as I left them both for their own happiness. It was hard for some time, but now I don't care about them at all. Of course it's sad to see when so many people have their best friends since like year 7 and I don't. My advise would be for you to not get into the infinity of getting into arguments with them and becoming friends with them again for too many times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending