The Student Room Group

Protostar's journey to amazing grades! (GCSE)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by octoberrain
We had the 2013 paper for the literature (but only for To Kill a Mockingbird as we only just started An Inspector Calls) and the 2015 for the language. I hattteeee English Lang!!! :frown:

I hate language too, I always get Bs :frown:

For our exam we have to do Animal Farm and Of Mice and Men, I can't stand AF but OMaM is actually pretty good, and I quite like the exams for it (both lang and lit actually)

We did An Inspector Calls for one of our controlled assesments and I really enjoyed it, despite guessing the ending halfway through :s-smilie:

But yeah, I find lit a lot easier as far as exams go, except we haven't done that much work on poetry comparisons and we've never even looked at unseen so that's worrying me a bit :s-smilie:
6/03/2016 - Evening (ish) update

Haven't done nearly as much as I'd hoped to this weekend which is quite disappointing, but it's not too bad. It's my friends birthday tomorrow so yesterday we went to a nice restaurant for a lovely meal and then I stayed at her house, it was a fun day. But it has meant no progress with my revision but it's no big deal really.

Tomorrow my sisters going on a residential with school and she won't be back until Saturday (woo 🎉) which should mean I won't get as distracted and be able to just plough through with my revision, hopefully.

I was really surprised to find I have NO homework due in tomorrow, yay! Even my English teacher forgot to set some which is a first, so I'm very chilled as I've been able to relax all day today (probably shouldn't have but oh well).

I actually promise to revise tomorrow, as the 2 month mark is fast approaching and I'm getting increasingly worried, so I need to properly crack on with it now. I made a new timetable today which I'll try and stick to as best as I can.

As for now though it's 10:36pm and I've been up since 7:30am (blame my friends dog :tongue:) so I'm going to go to bed. From tomorrow things are going to change!!! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NiamhM1801
I hate language too, I always get Bs :frown:

For our exam we have to do Animal Farm and Of Mice and Men, I can't stand AF but OMaM is actually pretty good, and I quite like the exams for it (both lang and lit actually)

We did An Inspector Calls for one of our controlled assesments and I really enjoyed it, despite guessing the ending halfway through :s-smilie:

But yeah, I find lit a lot easier as far as exams go, except we haven't done that much work on poetry comparisons and we've never even looked at unseen so that's worrying me a bit :s-smilie:

Waait you do the Edexcel GCSE?
Waait you do the Edexcel GCSE?

Yuup, what do you do?
Also what did you think I did? :tongue:
Yuup, what do you do?
Also what did you think I did? :tongue:

I'm doing the IGCSE, not the GCSE, that's why I didn't really think about what you do until I read 'controlled assessment' :biggrin:
I'm doing the IGCSE, not the GCSE, that's why I didn't really think about what you do until I read 'controlled assessment' :biggrin:

Oh that makes sense, although English would be impossible for me without CAs, I'm relying on them to pull up my grade :tongue:
7/03/2016 - Evening update

Today's been great :biggrin:

Apparently we DID have English homework due in today after all, and of course it would be an exam question wouldn't it? :frown: I tried to get it done before the lesson but only ended up writing a page, guess who's getting a D :angry:

Other than that though, I've been very productive today. I got quite a bit of my biology coursework done, absolutely dying to get it finished now. Went to wilkos after school and bought some coloured pens, and they're amazing! I used them in my revision and loved them so much, so glad I bought them (£5 was a small price to pay :tongue:)

Came home and actually stuck to a revision timetable?? This is new territory :clap2:
I did half an hour of maths, picked this back up because I've been slacking in maths revision lately and it's actually showing, so I'm trying to bounce back.
Then I did an hour and a half of geography revision (the restless earth) and my notes are BEAUTIFUL. I'm honestly in love.

I've just finished my German homework too which means I'm done for the day, yay!

Oh and finally, happy birthday Beth :birthday:
13/03/2016 - Morning update

Wow I haven't updated this in a while...sorry :redface:

Things have gone quite well this week in terms of revision, I've been able to focus quite well while my sisters been away, but she's back now so who knows how it'll go from here :s-smilie:

Today I plan to stick to science mainly, I've already revised a bit of B1 and B6 (both biology), I plan to move on to chemistry (C1 and C2) and physics (P4 and P5) by the end of today too.

I also have to get my PE coursework done as that's due at the end of tomorrow so I need to get it out of the way, I haven't got much left to do though so it shouldn't be a problem.

I also have a mammoth English homework task to do (research info about the 15 unseen poets, yes 15) which I'll do at some point before I go to bed.

However this week I had some very bad news, I am unable to study A-level German next year :frown: so now I'm stuck with my reserve, physics. This has really disappointed me and my German teacher, as she believes I would have done really well if I did it.

We also had another further maths mock exam this week (paper 2 this time) and I somehow managed to get 97/105 in it! :biggrin: I have no idea how I'm doing this, I must be a genius or something :tongue:

I've been a lot happier recently, and I think it's showing in my work both at school and at home. I really hope it lasts because I've been so productive and I want to stay this way.

Sorry for the massive update, but then again a lot can happen in 6 days :tongue:
Back to revision for me!
Hey There Niamh :smile: LOVE YOU NAME Btw
But how do you revise for your sciences? .. :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3934631 - This is my thread to A* please have a look at it too and do comment :smile: Keep In touch
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey There Niamh :smile: LOVE YOU NAME Btw
But how do you revise for your sciences? .. :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3934631 - This is my thread to A* please have a look at it too and do comment :smile: Keep In touch

Hi there!
Thank you! I like your name too :smile:

For science what I normally tend to do is write down the name of a general topic (usually the heading at the top of the page in the revision guide) and then EVERYTHING that I remember about that topic from when we learnt it. I do that until I can't possibly think of anything else, and then I open up the revision guide and have a look at what information I missed, and include it at the bottom in red pen (so I don't confuse it with the stuff I already knew) and then make sure to learn it thoroughly, as well as remember the other stuff too. This worked really well for my chemistry C7 test, where I went from not understanding any of it to getting 80%, so I believe it's effective.

What I do for a topic that we either haven't learnt yet or made absolutely no sense (B6, for example) I do just copy the notes from the revision guide and try to force myself to understand them before using my other technique, as there's no point trying to learn something you don't understand as it won't make sense.

I hope this helps, and I'll be sure to check out your thread :smile:
Hi there!
Thank you! I like your name too :smile:

For science what I normally tend to do is write down the name of a general topic (usually the heading at the top of the page in the revision guide) and then EVERYTHING that I remember about that topic from when we learnt it. I do that until I can't possibly think of anything else, and then I open up the revision guide and have a look at what information I missed, and include it at the bottom in red pen (so I don't confuse it with the stuff I already knew) and then make sure to learn it thoroughly, as well as remember the other stuff too. This worked really well for my chemistry C7 test, where I went from not understanding any of it to getting 80%, so I believe it's effective.

What I do for a topic that we either haven't learnt yet or made absolutely no sense (B6, for example) I do just copy the notes from the revision guide and try to force myself to understand them before using my other technique, as there's no point trying to learn something you don't understand as it won't make sense.

I hope this helps, and I'll be sure to check out your thread :smile:

Ooooh Thank you i like this <3 and one thing can i ask Is you surname Mchugh If not then it is fine i just know someone who has the same name as you :smile:
thank you for your advice though :smile: helped me a lot :smile:
Ooooh Thank you i like this <3 and one thing can i ask Is you surname Mchugh If not then it is fine i just know someone who has the same name as you :smile:
thank you for your advice though :smile: helped me a lot :smile:

You're welcome :smile:

And no, my surname isn't mchugh :tongue:
You're welcome :smile:

And no, my surname isn't mchugh :tongue:

Lol x :smile: do you look at the specification when you revise? for science :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol x :smile: do you look at the specification when you revise? for science :smile:

I haven't actually ever done that, for any subject actually. Does it help?
I haven't actually ever done that, for any subject actually. Does it help?

Yup because rather than revising everything i only revise some things i actually need to know :smile:

There is ever only those questions they can ask you anyways :smile:

But confusing
Yup because rather than revising everything i only revise some things i actually need to know :smile:

There is ever only those questions they can ask you anyways :smile:

But confusing

Oh, I might have a look at them then. Thank you!
Oh, I might have a look at them then. Thank you!

Your welcome :smile:
14/03/2016 - Afternoon update

So I've just got home from school after quite a good day (my biology teacher wasn't in school today so I couldn't do my coursework, annoying but now I'm home super early so can do more revision)

Today I plan to:
Revise Geography Unit 2 (Population Change)
Carry on with a maths past paper (my teacher decided to give us one of the new spec AQA papers that come into effect next year, I feel genuinely sorry for everyone in year 10 or below oh my)
Revise English Language (OMAM character fact files etc.)
Revise RS Unit 1 (Community Cohesion mainly, maybe some Matters of Life and Death if I get time)
And finally learn my German vocab for the test tomorrow

Time to get cracking! :biggrin:
14/03/2016 - Evening update

Been productive today 😊
Made some good notes on Population Change for Geog, including drawing out the DTM (ugh) but it was ok
Finished the maths paper my teacher gave us
Finished the Further maths paper my other teacher gave for homework, including the last (very difficult) question on trig identities 😋
I've started learning the vocab for tomorrow's test in German, although most of them are cognates anyway so it wasn't that hard
Didn't manage to get on to RS but that's not a big deal
Just got my chemistry homework on the Haber process to do in the morning now 👍🏻

Time to wash my hair and go to bed I think, hopefully tomorrow will go just as well. It's a good job I've started to pull myself together now as I've left enough time to tie together any loose ends and really knuckle down and get my grades

9 weeks left guys, we can do this! 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niamhm1801
14/03/2016 - evening update

been productive today 😊
made some good notes on population change for geog, including drawing out the dtm (ugh) but it was ok
finished the maths paper my teacher gave us
finished the further maths paper my other teacher gave for homework, including the last (very difficult) question on trig identities 😋
i've started learning the vocab for tomorrow's test in german, although most of them are cognates anyway so it wasn't that hard
didn't manage to get on to rs but that's not a big deal
just got my chemistry homework on the haber process to do in the morning now 👍🏻

time to wash my hair and go to bed i think, hopefully tomorrow will go just as well. It's a good job i've started to pull myself together now as i've left enough time to tie together any loose ends and really knuckle down and get my grades

9 weeks left guys, we can do this! 😉

posted from tsr mobile

well done :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending