The Student Room Group

Want to learn a new language

Hey guys, I'm a native English speaker that lives in London however I don't think that just speaking English is enough for me to go through life with so I want to learn a new language. In an ideal world I'd like to be Tri-Lingual speaking English Spanish and either Chinese or Japanese. I have some experience with Spanish however if I was to learn one of the Asian languages it would be a complete new experience to me.

I wanted your opinion on which one would be more beneficial to learn and which one would overall just be better to learn. Thank you :smile:
If just pure diluted practical beneficialness, then Mandarin:biggrin: cos around 1 billion speak it making up around 15% of the world population.

Also, In 2014, Fortune's Global 500 list of the world's largest corporations, it included 95 Chinese companies, with combined revenues of US$5.8 trillion :biggrin:

Im personally Asian and speak Cantonese (HK ftw), the less spoken dialect in China :tongue:

Also, Japanese is pretty awesome cos then you get awesome points when ordering sushi and ramen and stuff :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends on your interests. Spanish is probably the better European language to learn 'cause a lotta cool places speak it.

As for Asian language, if you're somebody that likes to travel a lot you'll get more use out of something like Mandarin where a huge number of people speak it. Also Mandarin's better for business stuff if you're somehow involved in that. If instead you're somebody that sits at home allatime, Japanese will let you do anime without subs and get japanese games, which would be more use than knowing anything Chinese as they do bugger all cool media stuff.
Original post by Lewilew
xxx

Hiya!

Sorry you didn't get so many replies! I'm going to go ahead and move this to the correct section and with some luck it'll get some more attention there :yep:

All the best :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending