The Student Room Group
Leeds Arts University
Leeds Arts University
Leeds

Leeds College of Art - Foundation Diploma

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ILK98
I have to get 1 A level, but I've decided on going to loughborough instead : )

Same regarding the offer :smile:

I got a really horrible rejection note from Loughborough. Not just a rejection it was a really cutting insult to my work. Which, considering I got full marks in the A level project I showed there, really, really hurt. It was so weird and unnecessary how it was phrased. Although most of the staff were lovely, one of the ladies there came across unpleasant and really cold. I think that was because they found out I applied for a deferred year there for geography... oops! Also I may have come across a bit upset as I'd just received some really sad news 20 minutes before my portfolio assessment. Gutted as it was my first choice.

Best of luck :smile: I'm so jel!
(edited 8 years ago)
Leeds Arts University
Leeds Arts University
Leeds
Is anyone here who is going to Leeds applying for the halls? I'm not sure where to apply. Ideally I would like to be with a mix of students from different subjects as well as art students but I'm guessing that's not possible. Thanks :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Seldenlara
Is anyone here who is going to Leeds applying for the halls? I'm not sure where to apply. Ideally I would like to be with a mix of students from different subjects as well as art students but I'm guessing that's not possible. Thanks :smile:

Hey, its a matter of choosing Loughborough or Leeds for me but I think i'm choosing Leeds, and I'll be applying for halls too, I just don't know which one, I'd prefer Liberty park, but it's a bit more pricey than Carlton hill soo :confused:
Original post by tjhardy
Hey, its a matter of choosing Loughborough or Leeds for me but I think i'm choosing Leeds, and I'll be applying for halls too, I just don't know which one, I'd prefer Liberty park, but it's a bit more pricey than Carlton hill soo :confused:

Hiya. :smile: The liberty halls are the nearer ones right?
Reply 44
Hiya. :smile: The liberty halls are the nearer ones right?

Im not sure, I think maybe by just a few minutes, they're the more modern ones too aren't they?
Original post by tjhardy
Im not sure, I think maybe by just a few minutes, they're the more modern ones too aren't they?

I think so. I just checked and there is so much choice, not just those two halls! Liberty docklands looks great but its a half hour walk from the college - not fun with a portfolio!
Reply 46
I think so. I just checked and there is so much choice, not just those two halls! Liberty docklands looks great but its a half hour walk from the college - not fun with a portfolio!

Ohh yeah, buuut i think liberty park and carlton hill are the ones that are for the college of art and not the leeds university so the docklands may not apply for us? :curious::curious:

Oh okay i did some research too, and now im very confused, realy like the look of them all, preferably need somewhere with a car park, but it'd be nice to walk to the college
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tjhardy
Ohh yeah, buuut i think liberty park and carlton hill are the ones that are for the college of art and not the leeds university so the docklands may not apply for us? :curious::curious:

Oh okay i did some research too, and now im very confused, realy like the look of them all, preferably need somewhere with a car park, but it'd be nice to walk to the college

Do you know if you have to send a letter confirming the offer before applying for accomidation?
Reply 48
Do you know if you have to send a letter confirming the offer before applying for accomidation?

Yeah I think so, might be worth emailing them
Original post by tjhardy
Yeah I think so, might be worth emailing them

Alrighty, thank you!
I have just sent my application off! (Late I know but I have mitigating circumstances as I have just decided to take a gap year- Plus entry is still open!) The next bunch of interviews are in April so I was wondering if anyone had any tips? x
Original post by emilyhaighjacobs
I have just sent my application off! (Late I know but I have mitigating circumstances as I have just decided to take a gap year- Plus entry is still open!) The next bunch of interviews are in April so I was wondering if anyone had any tips? x

The interview from my experience went really well. The interviewer and I just had a long chat about various artists.
Be prepared to answer questions about contemporary artists that inspire you
They were also particularly interested in hearing about ones I didn't like and why.
Also they asked me about why I wanted to do the foundation course and why Leeds?
They brought up a couple of things in my personal statement (but then I had tried to make my statement a bit different and risky. Luckily they liked it)
I deliberately chose to mention artists who studied at Leeds as well as conceptual artists. The latter they particularly picked up on.
They may ask you about what artnews / magazines / websites you look at. They didn't ask me but I spoke to someone else and apparently they love pinterest.
When you're in there it isn't scary. Just do that good ol' cliché thing and be yourself.
Best of luck!
Reply 52
Original post by emilyhaighjacobs

Have a clear, organised portfolio - show you made effort to make it look nice, and show off your work! Just be yourself too, they'll expect you to be nervous, but don't worry because they were all lovely. Know who your favourite artists are and why, talk about why you want to go there etc and just seem really enthusiastic!
Reply 53
Alrighty, thank you!

Hey did you email them? If so what did they say?
Original post by tjhardy
Hey did you email them? If so what did they say?

Hey, I phoned them about accommodation and they said I would be hearing from them in the next few days about applying for Carlton Hill or Liberty Park. It's been a few days so I might call again.
Ive applied for halls at liberty park!
Reply 56
Original post by ardinglel
Ive applied for halls at liberty park!

i think i might be as well!
Did you guys get a letter about accommodation or have you organised it privately?
Sounds like a dumb question but I said to the person who was interviewing me that I wasn't sure if I wanted accommodation yet, so I was just wondering if you'd been sent a letter from the College or something.
Reply 59
Original post by donnamedrosa
Sounds like a dumb question but I said to the person who was interviewing me that I wasn't sure if I wanted accommodation yet, so I was just wondering if you'd been sent a letter from the College or something.

Hey when i accepted the offer I got an email with an attached link to an accommodation form that you fill in. I havent done it yet as im still asking questions about costs etc

Quick Reply