The Student Room Group

Best first degree for graduate entry Vet Med?

Just curious - saw lots of posts about it, wanting to know opinions - some people saying biology seems like it'd cover the modules needed for vet med but zoology etc more related to the degree - any views?
Original post by roxy31
Just curious - saw lots of posts about it, wanting to know opinions - some people saying biology seems like it'd cover the modules needed for vet med but zoology etc more related to the degree - any views?

There is no 'best option' to prepare you for vetmed, since the vetmed course is massively different. I did bio veterinary science, my friend did biology.
It's best to choose a degree which is definitely accepted by all of the universities, but between all of them, the modules are very basic compared to what is taught in veterinary science degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lizziefickling
There is no 'best option' to prepare you for vetmed, since the vetmed course is massively different. I did bio veterinary science, my friend did biology.
It's best to choose a degree which is definitely accepted by all of the universities, but between all of them, the modules are very basic compared to what is taught in veterinary science degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile

where abouts are you studying graduate level vet med? some of them I've looked at are looking for the same grades as school leavers plus the first degree but wasn't sure if everywhere was like that?
Original post by roxy31
where abouts are you studying graduate level vet med? some of them I've looked at are looking for the same grades as school leavers plus the first degree but wasn't sure if everywhere was like that?

I emailed the unis so many times now, I know the graduate requirements all by heart :P

RVC: 2:1 (No specific A-level requirements)
Nottingham: 2:1 + BB in A-level Chemistry and Biology
Liverpool: 2:1 + either BB or CC in A-level Chemistry and Biology depending on your degree.
Bristol: 2:1 + BBB in Chemistry, Biology and one other subject

Cambridge definitely requires A-levels alongside your degree although I'm not sure what grades you would need.
Edinburgh doesn't require A-levels for their accelerated course but they can be picky when it comes to your degree modules. If you don't have what they want they might only consider you for their 5 year course.
And the last time I emailed Glasgow they said they don't have any specific requirements other than a 2:1 in your degree, but it was quite a while ago so it might be worth dropping them an email and asking if that's still the case.

As for Surrey, I'm not sure if they require A-levels, but they do take a close look at your degree modules to make sure your cover enough Chemistry and Biology topics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by roxy31

I'm at Liverpool. As Nessie has said above me those are what they require. Surrey also look at gcse grades too. Edinburgh very picky about what you get in individual modules as well grade wise, they go through your degree transcript thoroughly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending