The Student Room Group

As Biology

I'm really struggling to remember the content in Biology, at gcse I was so good at remember stuff but now I am so bad can anyone give me tips for remember things because atm I am so helpless
Original post by medicine71012
I'm really struggling to remember the content in Biology, at gcse I was so good at remember stuff but now I am so bad can anyone give me tips for remember things because atm I am so helpless

Hi,

I'm currently studying Biology at A2, and I used to have the same problem at AS. What helped me was:

- Make revision notes using your class notes, revision guides and spec
- Cover a section of the notes and write them out again and see how much you remembered, repeat till you get down most/all of the information
- Use revision notes to make flashcards for a set topic, keep going over them and learn them

Also for remembering stuff, if you're a visual learner using colour is especially good because you can relate the colours to different parts of a topic, and also use mnemonics to remember stages of a process etc

Also if you need help on any areas/topics of Biology, I'd be happy to help! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
I think I am read/write learners as well as being a visual learner.

I have all of my notes done and condensed them to flash cards already but there's just so much I've beene waving it off

Do you advice me to approach it via section by section rather than trying to memorise all of it at the same time
I think I am read/write learners as well as being a visual learner.

I have all of my notes done and condensed them to flash cards already but there's just so much I've beene waving it off

Do you advice me to approach it via section by section rather than trying to memorise all of it at the same time

Yes definitely! Do it topic by topic, because breaking it into smaller chunks makes it much easier for the information to go in

And I still feel like I have so much to do too so I keep putting work off.. but the key thing to do to solve this is to simply start! Once you get going, you start to see its not as bad as you've been thinking it to be..
Every time I see these posts I always agree that there is just soooooooo much content for AS level Biology!! I'm dreading A2 Biology next year!! :frown:

Write condensed revision notes up on each lesson as soon as possible after it , do lots of past papers (find relevant questions on the old/ other specifications if you are doing a new specification) and make a detailed note of what you got wrong on each past paper/ test and why and revise from these.
I've moved this to the biology study help forum where hopefully you'll get more responses :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by shooting_stars
Yes definitely! Do it topic by topic, because breaking it into smaller chunks makes it much easier for the information to go in

And I still feel like I have so much to do too so I keep putting work off.. but the key thing to do to solve this is to simply start! Once you get going, you start to see its not as bad as you've been thinking it to be..

How long do you think it would take me to memorise all of As biology using that method?
How long do you think it would take me to memorise all of As biology using that method?

Hmm it really depends on you personally.. For me I started all of my AS revision during/after the Easter Holidays and I divided my days between my subjects so I didn't keep track of how long it took. But I would say it took around 1 hour or so to memorise content of one topic using the flashcards.. (Again it depends on how long your topics are)
Reply 9
Hmm it really depends on you personally.. For me I started all of my AS revision during/after the Easter Holidays and I divided my days between my subjects so I didn't keep track of how long it took. But I would say it took around 1 hour or so to memorise content of one topic using the flashcards.. (Again it depends on how long your topics are)

Thank you so much I feel so much more encouraged! Do you mind telling me what you got in AS Biology?
Thank you so much I feel so much more encouraged! Do you mind telling me what you got in AS Biology?

No worries! I got an A in AS Biology :smile:
No worries! I got an A in AS Biology :smile:

Omg that would be a dream,what other subjects did you do and did you find the day before the exam you knew all the content already?
Omg that would be a dream,what other subjects did you do and did you find the day before the exam you knew all the content already?

I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Religious studies. And before the exam I felt like I've done the best I can in terms of preparation rather than thinking of what I could have done more.

So what I would advise to do before the exam is to just have a positive mindset and think about all the things you know rather than trying to find which bits you don't know..
I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Religious studies. And before the exam I felt like I've done the best I can in terms of preparation rather than thinking of what I could have done more.

So what I would advise to do before the exam is to just have a positive mindset and think about all the things you know rather than trying to find which bits you don't know..

Omg those are the exact subjects I do! What exams boards?
Omg those are the exact subjects I do! What exams boards?

Biology- Edexcel
Chemistry- OCR Salters B
Maths- AQA (I dropped Maths at A2)
RS- AQA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending