The Student Room Group

Which programs are best?

Hi! I've got unconditional offers for history at Edinburgh and York, conditional (I'm absolutely certain I'll meet the conditions) at Glasgow, and unconditional for modern history at St Andrews. I'm mostly split between Edinburgh and St Andrews. I know St Andrews is ranked much higher on league tables, though it seems like that's because student satisfaction is dragging it down. Here's the thing: I'm from the US. It seems like St Andrews has a better rep in the UK and Edinburgh is better respected internationally. But honestly, I want to go to the place where I'll have the best learning experience.

So let's say St Andrews has the best formal degree program for history. Edinburgh's in the city, so there are a lot of cultural institutions and resources that St Andrews doesn't have as easily, which I know can have an impact. It's like studying a great history course at a small town in the US vs a good one in the middle of NYC/DC.

Do you have recommendations for where I should go?
Original post by sjohnson98
Hi! I've got unconditional offers for history at Edinburgh and York, conditional (I'm absolutely certain I'll meet the conditions) at Glasgow, and unconditional for modern history at St Andrews. I'm mostly split between Edinburgh and St Andrews. I know St Andrews is ranked much higher on league tables, though it seems like that's because student satisfaction is dragging it down. Here's the thing: I'm from the US. It seems like St Andrews has a better rep in the UK and Edinburgh is better respected internationally. But honestly, I want to go to the place where I'll have the best learning experience.

So let's say St Andrews has the best formal degree program for history. Edinburgh's in the city, so there are a lot of cultural institutions and resources that St Andrews doesn't have as easily, which I know can have an impact. It's like studying a great history course at a small town in the US vs a good one in the middle of NYC/DC.

Do you have recommendations for where I should go?

St Andrews does not have a better reputation than Edinburgh in the UK. But if you're American, does it matter what British people think? The Times university rankings (the only one which is really worth anything) puts Edinburgh 24th in the world (and 16th in the world for the humanities), whereas St Andrews is 86th in the world (and 50th for the humanities).

I've never heard that St Andrews had a better history course, perhaps they're better for medieval history, but that's it. I suggest you research each degree carefully before making any judgments. Here is the structure for Edinburgh's degree: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/16-17/dpt/uthisty.htm

Personally I think you'd have a much better university experience at Edinburgh, it is in a capital city which as you say gives you access to all sorts of cultural events which you wouldn't get in St Andrews. But also you are going to meet many more people, and fewer Americans, which I think is a good thing if you're studying abroad. I just re-read my post and noticed I sound really pro-Edinburgh. I'm not bias, I don't go there! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
St Andrews does not have a better reputation than Edinburgh in the UK. But if you're American, does it matter what British people think? The Times university rankings (the only one which is really worth anything) puts Edinburgh 24th in the world (and 16th in the world for the humanities), whereas St Andrews is 86th in the world (and 50th for the humanities).

I've never heard that St Andrews had a better history course, perhaps they're better for medieval history, but that's it. I suggest you research each degree carefully before making any judgments. Here is the structure for Edinburgh's degree: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/16-17/dpt/uthisty.htm

Personally I think you'd have a much better university experience at Edinburgh, it is in a capital city which as you say gives you access to all sorts of cultural events which you wouldn't get in St Andrews. But also you are going to meet many more people, and fewer Americans, which I think is a good thing if you're studying abroad. I just re-read my post and noticed I sound really pro-Edinburgh. I'm not bias, I don't go there! :biggrin:

Don't worry about the bias! I'm leaning towards Edinburgh already. St Andrews seems great but I'm not sure that being in a place where lots of people are super rich is what I want. Plus, I don't know that I could survive in a place that small! I appreciate the feedback!
Reply 3
Original post by sjohnson98
Don't worry about the bias! I'm leaning towards Edinburgh already. St Andrews seems great but I'm not sure that being in a place where lots of people are super rich is what I want. Plus, I don't know that I could survive in a place that small! I appreciate the feedback!

Edinburgh does so poorly in domestic league tables because the teaching quality there is awful (e.g. feedback, satisfaction with course, assessment etc.). And don't think that Edinburgh doesnt have its fair share of rich people or 'rahs' especially with the high number of Etonians.

I would argue that St Andrews does have the better reputation in the UK than Edinburgh but that's subjective, both universities are strong. It's down to a matter of which university environment you prefer.
Original post by Lucas_97
Edinburgh does so poorly in domestic league tables because the teaching quality there is awful (e.g. feedback, satisfaction with course, assessment etc.)..

How would you know? You don't even go there.
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin
How would you know? You don't even go there.

I rejected Edinburgh for that reason and speaking to Edinburgh students at the Open Day, they painted the exact same picture.

It's NSS scores answered by EDINBURGH students tell you enough about whether they're satisfied with the teaching there.
Original post by Lucas_97
I rejected Edinburgh for that reason and speaking to Edinburgh students at the Open Day, they painted the exact same picture.

It's NSS scores answered by EDINBURGH students tell you enough about whether they're satisfied with the teaching there.

I could say that about any university. NSS scores are basically meaningless.
Reply 7
Original post by Snufkin
I could say that about any university. NSS scores are basically meaningless.

Ok, your opinion about NSS scores will have no influence on its relevance so :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest