The Student Room Group

How important is physical attraction in a relationship?

Or is it just personality alone that counts?

Scroll to see replies

I think there needs to be a balance of both; if you're there just for looks then it'd be hard to get on, and if you're there for personality you may feel like you're just best friends with benefits.
Reply 2
Original post by Mayhem™
I think there needs to be a balance of both; if you're there just for looks then it'd be hard to get on, and if you're there for personality you may feel like you're just best friends with benefits.

but what if personality is great and i get on well but looks aint nothing special for me
i find very few ppl on this planet attractive cos i only look for perfection which practically doesn't exist
i don't know what to do fam
It's definitely not personality alone, although I would say it's the most important thing, imo.

I can't imagine hanging out with someone who was a **** just because they were physically attractive
Original post by MevMev
but what if personality is great and i get on well but looks aint nothing special for me
i find very few ppl on this planet attractive cos i only look for perfection which practically doesn't exist

there is the problem, your standards are too high

love isn't being with someone perfect; it's being able to look past someone's faults and acknowledging their strengths, then they will appear perfect to you
Reply 5
Original post by Mayhem™
there is the problem, your standards are too high

love isn't being with someone perfect; it's being able to look past someone's faults and acknowledging their strengths, then they will appear perfect to you

but i cant force physical attraction for him no matter how hard i try mate
A good balance like mayhem said.

I've dated really good looking guys but their personality sucked, and their looks went from 8-0. Looks doesn't cut it, you need a personality to go along with it. I've dated an below average dude and I tried because he had s good head on his shoulders, his own house a good job but I couldn't stomach looking at him.
Original post by MevMev
but i cant force physical attraction for him no matter how hard i try mate

then find someone else; it's not like you're forced to like someone

the future is not written; there is no fate but what we make for ourselves
Reply 8
Original post by Mayhem™
then find someone else; it's not like you're forced to like someone

the future is not written; there is no fate but what we make for ourselves

But look guys listen:
When a boy tells me I'm pretty or he's interested or whatever i feel so guilty when i cant return the compliment
how am i going to find the right person if i just cant overlook flaws
Original post by MevMev
But look guys listen:
When a boy tells me I'm pretty or he's interested or whatever i feel so guilty when i cant return the compliment

you won't find anyone; so the point is that you either need to get ready to lower your standards, or being potentially forever alone
Original post by MevMev

show us an example of perfection or what ur looking for
Original post by MevMev
But look guys listen:

i really dont think that you need to worry about it atm, im assuming that you arnt desperate for a relationship right now. I really think that if you just focus on being you, one day the right person will come to you and you will know it. As they say: there are other fish in the sea.
Reply 12
Original post by Mayhem™
you won't find anyone; so the point is that you either need to get ready to lower your standards, or being potentially forever alone

but i told him I'm not physically attracted to him
the boys that i am physically attracted to they will probably never see me in the same way that he saw me
Reply 13
Original post by SAhm95
show us an example of perfection or what ur looking for

i don't have his photo and i don't think he would want me uploading soz mate
Reply 14
Original post by nymeriacx
i really dont think that you need to worry about it atm, im assuming that you arnt desperate for a relationship right now. I really think that if you just focus on being you, one day the right person will come to you and you will know it. As they say: there are other fish in the sea.

i feel so guilty
yeah it's very important

good looking = good looking kids = better QoL

But personality is important too, as you have to consider, from a man's perspective at least, that this is the woman that will raise your children, so being a narcissistic, selfish wretch is a major red flag.
Original post by MevMev
i feel so guilty

seriously dw about it, i do too. But its just life, you cant force yourself to like people. Youd just feel worse if you said it back and you didnt mean it.
Reply 17
Original post by nymeriacx
seriously dw about it, i do too. But its just life, you cant force yourself to like people. Youd just feel worse if you said it back and you didnt mean it.

Yeah I'm doing the right thing by not leading him on and giving him false hopes right?
Reply 18
Original post by Hirsty97
yeah it's very important

good looking = good looking kids = better QoL

But personality is important too, as you have to consider, from a man's perspective at least, that this is the woman that will raise your children, so being a narcissistic, selfish wretch is a major red flag.

but i feel like I'm giving up the best thing that could ever have happened to me simply because i couldn't be 100% happy with looks
Reply 19
Original post by Mayhem™

very blunt but thanks mate i think i need that firm discipline :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending