The Student Room Group

Prom Versus Further Maths

Hi all,

I am currently in year 11 and studying my GCSEs. 6 students in my year were chosen to do a Level 3 Algebra exam, 4 of whom have already completed their Mathematics GCSE, and I am one of the two who have not. Thankfully, we all passed the Level 3 Algebra exam and now have been entered to do a Level 2 Further Maths exam.

However, as the title suggests, there is a minor problem. Prom night is the day before the second Further Maths exam (which is a more important exam than the first as it is worth 60% of the grade). Undoubtedly, there are going to be after-parties (though whether I go to them is a different matter) and, of course, the prom itself. Now, some people have told me that prom was a great way to end the torture of year 11 (despite the fact that I would still have more to endure afterwards, but that's beside the point) and I am currently in a relationship so it does mean that I have a date to prom.

My dilemma is that I will certainly need to be finalising my revision the night before the exams. This will be no different with the Level 2 Further Maths exam. Do I not go to prom at all? Do I go and leave early? Do I just go and not worry about it? To push it, do I just completely forget it all and go to the after-parties too? Your opinion would be welcome, as I am not alone in this position.

Many thanks.

Scroll to see replies

It seems odd that school would organise prom before the end of exams! Are you sure you have the right date? It seems really unfair.

Can you arrange your revision so that you go to prom, but no after parties, and have completed revision enough that you can enjoy it?

I guess it comes to what is more important to you. The qualification or prom :sadnod:
I think you should do all of your finalising in time and have that night to be able to go to the prom. Not sure about the afterparties - as long as you get enough sleep and preparation beforehand then you should be fine to go.
Original post by Neostigmine
It seems odd that school would organise prom before the end of exams! Are you sure you have the right date? It seems really unfair.

Can you arrange your revision so that you go to prom, but no after parties, and have completed revision enough that you can enjoy it?

I guess it comes to what is more important to you. The qualification or prom :sadnod:

I'm definitely certain I've got the right date. I think it is because only 6 of us are doing it. My problem is that I really do not know which is more important to me. I was hoping for others' opinions.

Original post by SeanFM
I think you should do all of your finalising in time and have that night to be able to go to the prom. Not sure about the afterparties - as long as you get enough sleep and preparation beforehand then you should be fine to go.

Is there a way to truly get all of the finalising done so that I am not worried about the exam the next day? Surely I'll just be worrying all the time I'm there that I haven't done enough.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LogicalFallacy
I'm definitely certain I've got the right date. I think it is because only 6 of us are doing it. My problem is that I really do not know which is more important to me. I was hoping for others' opinions.

Is there a way to truly get all of the finalising done so that I am not worried about the exam the next day? Surely I'll just be worrying all the time I'm there that I haven't done enough.

Have you got an idea of the timings of everything, like when prom itself will end, what time you need to be in school for, and when the exam is?
Further maths always

Tbh even if it were in February or something, if you have the choice to spend the evening working on some exercises... Further maths. Always further maths. :cool: :yep:
is it a morning paper? if not you should be fine provided you don't drink (which of course you wouldn't do being 16...)

I would go to prom but either skip the after party or come home at a reasonable time, further maths isn't a massively useful thing, it's a nice bridge to the first unit of AS maths but as long as your GCSE maths grade is good it won't really matter... I got an E in my additional maths
Original post by Student403
Further maths always

Tbh even if it were in February or something, if you have the choice to spend the evening working on some exercises... Further maths. Always further maths. :cool: :yep:

Agreed :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doodle_333
is it a morning paper? if not you should be fine provided you don't drink (which of course you wouldn't do being 16...)

I would go to prom but either skip the after party or come home at a reasonable time, further maths isn't a massively useful thing, it's a nice bridge to the first unit of AS maths but as long as your GCSE maths grade is good it won't really matter... I got an E in my additional maths

Whilst I agree it isn't so useful, the fact that you will have an official grade that you must declare on UCAS says to me that OP should be going for the best grade he can possibly get instead of not caring so much just because of the "importance" of the qualification.
Whilst I agree it isn't so useful, the fact that you will have an official grade that you must declare on UCAS says to me that OP should be going for the best grade he can possibly get instead of not caring so much just because of the "importance" of the qualification.

are you sure? I'm sure I didn't declare mine... although it was some years ago so perhaps I misremember... didn't affect me getting any offers though
are you sure? I'm sure I didn't declare mine... although it was some years ago so perhaps I misremember... didn't affect me getting any offers though

I think they've really clamped down on the policy to declare all your grades in the recent few years.
I'm sure your date will appreciate a "It's not you, it's FM".
Original post by Imperion
I'm sure your date will appreciate a "It's not you, it's FM".

:rofl:

ah, fair enough... then I still think OP should go to the prom but definitely be home early and taking it seriously!
ah, fair enough... then I still think OP should go to the prom but definitely be home early and taking it seriously!

If you don't mind, what year did you take A levels in? :biggrin:
If you don't mind, what year did you take A levels in? :biggrin:

Sweet :smile:
Original post by LogicalFallacy
Hi all,

I am currently in year 11 and studying my GCSEs. 6 students in my year were chosen to do a Level 3 Algebra exam, 4 of whom have already completed their Mathematics GCSE, and I am one of the two who have not. Thankfully, we all passed the Level 3 Algebra exam and now have been entered to do a Level 2 Further Maths exam.

However, as the title suggests, there is a minor problem. Prom night is the day before the second Further Maths exam (which is a more important exam than the first as it is worth 60% of the grade). Undoubtedly, there are going to be after-parties (though whether I go to them is a different matter) and, of course, the prom itself. Now, some people have told me that prom was a great way to end the torture of year 11 (despite the fact that I would still have more to endure afterwards, but that's beside the point) and I am currently in a relationship so it does mean that I have a date to prom.

My dilemma is that I will certainly need to be finalising my revision the night before the exams. This will be no different with the Level 2 Further Maths exam. Do I not go to prom at all? Do I go and leave early? Do I just go and not worry about it? To push it, do I just completely forget it all and go to the after-parties too? Your opinion would be welcome, as I am not alone in this position.

Many thanks.

Your grades, which stick with you for life, are more important than one night of fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Further maths always

Is there a reason for this or just personal preference?

It is a morning paper. Of course, I won't be drinking as I am underage. Skipping the afterparties is an option. I know it isn't massively useful, but I would still like the qualification.

EDIT: This sums it up pretty well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending