The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
No you haven't; you keep ignoring points. How is any of that relevant to going to a fancy dress party? Why is appropriation of majority culture by minorities not a problem?

Exploiting middle eastern culture by attempting to dress up an Arab princess? This is going by the exact definition of cultural appropriation.

As for your second point,I'm not exactly sure
Original post by Howard
That was hypothetical!

But no, I'm not. I just know quite a bit about it. Books and stuff.

Yeah, sorry, I just noticed that I missed the bit about membership being restricted to those born in the United States. :colondollar: I've deleted the post.
Original post by DiddyDec
Are you familiar with Macedonian Greek culture?

That's a culture similar to the people of the levant so yes :h:
Original post by queen-bee
That's a culture similar to the people of the levant so yes :h:

Right. So similar is the get out clause is it?
Original post by Hydeman
The article doesn't talk about anything that hasn't already been brought up and been refuted here with regards to 'taking credit.' It relies on the same, incorrect assumption that we live in a society governed by group rights (see the the politics of Lebanon for something that's really based on group rights) as opposed to individual rights, and that one of these group rights is communal ownership of a given group's culture.

This kind of reasoning, even if it wasn't flawed at the root, would easily run into trouble with people who hold membership of more than one group, such as yourself. Contrary to what the author, a race relations 'expert', thinks, this isn't some kind of progressive agenda; it's downright retrograde in its insistence on regulating people's lives according to their parentage.

I hold membership of more than one race but it's not cultural appropriation i attempt to appropriate Italian or middle eastern culture surely?
Right. So similar is the get out clause is it?

I am aware of the cultural practices which are almost identical to those of my own.
Ridiculous. Where will it end?

Original post by Drewski
Hmm. It might be jeans itself that originate from the US, I know Levi's bang on about it.

And you can't deny the Canadians their national clothing! Double denim is their version of a tux.

"Hey denim Dan, nice Canadian tuxedo!"
I am aware of the cultural practices which are almost identical to those of my own.

Your own? As in living in London?
Your own? As in living in London?

Cultural practices of Levantine people/Southern Europeans in general including my father who was an Italian

As for living in London,I don't really practice much of my heritage culture apart from maybe just eating the food,going to church when I can but that's about it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Howard
Oh. Well, no I'm not. I couldn't be as I'm not a native born American which is an absolute requisite for membership. But even if it were possible and I were a member I'd not admit it to you. No true klansman will ever reveal membership to an outsider (or an "alien" as they are properly known) It's a secret organization.

BTW, there's no such thing as 'the klan" and hasn't been since 1944. There are instead many different klans (and many of them are bitter rivals and hate one another's guts!) Just so you know.

But they do it when they're being recorded on national tv :tongue: yeah I saw the Nat geo documentary
Cultural practices of Levantine people/Southern Europeans in general including my father who was an Italian

As for living in London,I don't really practice much of my heritage culture apart from maybe just eating the food,going to church when I can but that's about it

So would you say that you practice much more of British culture?
So would you say that you practice much more of British culture?

I've never come across British culture,care to enlighten me? I'm being serious btw
I've never come across British culture,care to enlighten me? I'm being serious btw

Everything you see around you is British culture. The very fact you are here is British culture.
Everything you see around you is British culture. The very fact you are here is British culture.

:confused:
:confused:

How are you confused? The reason London is the multicultural hub of the world of because of the accepting nature of British culture.

Why don't you read the wiki page and learn something.

Maybe then you can work out which parts of the culture you have used (exploited).
How are you confused? The reason London is the multicultural hub of the world of because of the accepting nature of British culture.

Why don't you read the wiki page and learn something.

Maybe then you can work out which parts of the culture you have used (exploited).

Lol so by being a Christian, going to prom, speaking English etc that means I'm appropriating the culture even tho I have a red passport that says I'm british?
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol do by bring a Christian, going to prom, speaking English etc that means I'm appropriating the culture even tho I have a red passport that says I'm british?

You have already said it is not your culture. So is it or isn't it?
You have already said it is not your culture. So is it or isn't it?

The examples you gave are not specific to the UK
Original post by Lady Comstock
So a white English person who migrates to the UAE or another Arab country and manages to receive citizenship is not engaging in cultural appropriation by dressing up as an "Arab princess" because they have a passport?

That's what I want to know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending