The Student Room Group

Islamophobia Research

Hi everyone, I am carrying out some general research on peoples opinions of islamophobia and have a short questionnaire for people to fill in if they are interested.
Your opinions on islamophobia, what is it? Have you ever experienced it? What are your opinions of political parties such as UKIP, BNP and EDL? Does the media influence your opinion?

Please reply back :smile:
would be great to get an insight into peoples views of Islamophobia
Reply 1
Not sure why you're mentioning UKIP in the same breath as the BNP and EDL and why you're inferring UKIP is by any means islamophobic when it not only has Muslim members but also supports more ties with the Commonwealth of Nations, a group of countries including Pakistan, Nigeria and Malaysia that are all home to large Muslim populations.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Islamophobia is a paradox. It's loosely described as the 'irrational fear of Islam as a religious and social framework', but there's nothing irrational about fearing a religion comprised of over a billion people, in which the main texts (Qu'ran and Hadiths) state some morally indefensible beliefs and actions. It's basically a buzzword used to shut down any discussion surrounding the topic, for fear of offending the Muslims who are unable to hear their religion criticized, and as such conflate it to a general attack on the Islamic community as a whole.
Reply 3
EDL is not a political party for one.....

Also I have to say I detest the word islamophobia (or actually most uses of phobia these days). Someone disliking / criticising a religion does not equate to an "irrational fear".

So no, I've never experienced it or seen it from people I know, because people are well within their rights to be critical.

UKIP has little to do with it considering their focus is on the EU, though it does have a good amount of critical members, as does a lot of the sensible right and left wing.

BNP are just racist.
EDL, not a party again, but vary between critical and racist. Down to the lack of any structure or membership control.
You couldn't generalise the whole, and they did attempt to prevent the racist members, mind - though fail because of aforementioned idiotic organising.

I'd rather eat dirt than read the media as gospel so no they have no meaningful influence than to provide information that one can research independently.
Islamophobia is a nonsensical neologism. It encompasses prejudice and dislike towards Islam and prejudice and dislike against Muslims in the same term when they are too very different things.

It seems to be used mainly as a way of stifling any criticism of Islam as an ideology
BNP = racist

EDL = racist

UKIP = not at all racist and I have no idea why you feel to lump them in with the other two

Islamophobia is a nonsense term used to shut down legitimate debate with false accusations of racism, hatred of Muslims is of course unacceptable, but ideology is never above question and criticism.

The media has no influence on my opinion, partly because I only ever watch sky's financial report :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
It is a ridiculous terms which emcompasses both the critism of Islam and the abuse of its followers.
Original post by Inazuma
EDL is not a political party for one.....

Also I have to say I detest the word islamophobia (or actually most uses of phobia these days). Someone disliking / criticising a religion does not equate to an "irrational fear".

So no, I've never experienced it or seen it from people I know, because people are well within their rights to be critical.

UKIP has little to do with it considering their focus is on the EU, though it does have a good amount of critical members, as does a lot of the sensible right and left wing.

BNP are just racist.
EDL, not a party again, but vary between critical and racist. Down to the lack of any structure or membership control.
You couldn't generalise the whole, and they did attempt to prevent the racist members, mind - though fail because of aforementioned idiotic organising.

I'd rather eat dirt than read the media as gospel so no they have no meaningful influence than to provide information that one can research independently.

Thank you, for your response to my tread, I just wanted to ask you some questions to gain a greater insight into your views on Islamophobia.

1. Could you define what islamophobia is?

2. Have you ever experienced any form of islamophobia or witinessed any form of Islamophobia ?

3. Why do you think statistics suggest islamophobia is rising?

4. Does the media influence your opinion?

5.What do you think the media’s view of islamophobia is?

6. Do you think people of British Asian heritage experience islamophobia?

7. What do you think can be done can done to counter Islamophobia?

8. Do you think certain political parties should have their views censored such as UKIP, EDL or BNP?

9. Is there anything else you want to add?
Original post by tengentoppa
Islamophobia is a nonsensical neologism. It encompasses prejudice and dislike towards Islam and prejudice and dislike against Muslims in the same term when they are too very different things.

It seems to be used mainly as a way of stifling any criticism of Islam as an ideology

Thank you, for your response to my tread, I just wanted to ask you some questions to gain a greater insight into your views on Islamophobia.

2. Have you ever experienced any form of islamophobia or witinessed any form of Islamophobia ?

8. Do you think certain political parties should have their views censored such as UKIP, EDL or BNP?

Original post by Mahmoud X
BNP = racist

EDL = racist

UKIP = not at all racist and I have no idea why you feel to lump them in with the other two

Islamophobia is a nonsense term used to shut down legitimate debate with false accusations of racism, hatred of Muslims is of course unacceptable, but ideology is never above question and criticism.

The media has no influence on my opinion, partly because I only ever watch sky's financial report :dontknow:

Original post by DiddyDec
It is a ridiculous terms which emcompasses both the critism of Islam and the abuse of its followers.

Original post by the.researcher

An irrational hatred of Muslims

OR

Extreme hatred of Islam

I saw it a couple of times at high school

I believe there has been an unjustified backlash towards Muslims in this and other European countries

I don't think so, the daytime news is too simplistic to really get a good picture from

I think the media in Western Europe is largely sympathetic towards Muslims and Islam

Yes I do, I think lots of British Asians/Middle Easterners face abuse and hatred in this country

It's a complex issue because most people who are hardcore Islamophobes (the sorts who go to EDL rallies) are members of the White working class who have been totally abandoned by the mainstream politicians. These people wrongly take their anger out on random immigrants who look different

I would have the BNP banned, possibly the EDL too.

I don't support UKIP and have never voted for them, but I find it immature and deeply questionable that a party which seeks to put European immigration on the same level as Commonwealth immigration is being branded racist.

Jeremy Corbyn expressed his friendship of members of the Antisemitic hate group Hezbollah and Diane Abbott often makes racist remarks towards White people, is Labour more or less racist than UKIP?

There needs to be a greater distinction between hatred of Muslims and criticism of Islam, right now it feels as if hatred of real human beings is not taken seriously enough, but at the same time, the free speech to criticise religious belief, something people in this continent have literally been put to death over is being wrongly eroded.

replies in bold.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mahmoud X
replies in bold.

Hi thank you for your response,
Can i ask you to expand on question 2, What did you see at high school? what happened?

Once again Thank you for your response :smile:
Hi thank you for your response,
Can i ask you to expand on question 2, What did you see at high school? what happened?

Once again Thank you for your response :smile:

I don't want to get too into specifics but some guy got really into the BNP and claimed that Muslims cause terrorism and thought we should ban them from the country, there was no violence but it was creepy af.

The criticism of Islam and the abuse received by its followers.

Given the above definition I have seen Islam criticised a multitude of times.

They are meaningless given the above definition.

No, I still think Islam is a destructive religion which is in need of some serious reform before I would consider it not be a threat to the West.

That really depends on the media source, be that journalism, Facebook, written, TV, etc.

Yes, I'm sure some do.

For a start change the definition. You can't stop criticism of an idea and label it the same as abusing its followers. They are simply not the same thing. However we already have laws in place to stop religious hate crimes and discrimination. We do not need specific laws.

No, views should never be censored. If you were to go down that slippery slope we must also censor the views of Islam and other religious as they can be just as poisonous as BNP. UKIP is perfectly legitimate political party and shouldn't even be on your list.

What is your agenda?

It has 2 distinct meanings.

Hatred of Islam

Hatred of Muslims

Yes of the former, not of the latter. Though I don't deny the former exists.

Any criticism of Islam could in theory be labelled islamophobic, and there is so much to criticise and question about Islam that I see this on a regular basis

The increased awareness of terrorist groups like ISIS, the victim mentality of certain Muslim communites and the refusal of political parties to condemn the religion all contribute. Also, thugs will latch on to any movement to cause trouble, and with Islam being so infamous right now it's an easy target.

To a certain extent. It would be disingenuous of anyone to say they are entirely unbiased.

It varies. Left-leaning outlets like the guardian and the huffingtonpost consider it of paramount importance and in the aftermath of the attacks in Paris seemed more perturbed about an "islamophobic backlash" then the actual event.

Some probably do, yes.

Islamophobia which criticises Islam as an ideology needs to be encouraged and not countered.

Prejudice against Muslims can be countered by improving education standards in this country ensuring people can discern between an ideology and a person.

Firstly, it is grossly unfair to conflate UKIP with radical groups like the BNP.

I don't think they should be censored purely because they have contrarian views, but if they incite hatred and violence against Muslims (not Islam) then there is an argument that they should be banned.

Islamophobia encompassing both prejudice against Islam and prejudice against Muslims makes it an entirely redundant and stupid word, which needs to fall out of use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending