The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by queen-bee
But they do it when they're being recorded on national tv :tongue: yeah I saw the Nat geo documentary

Again, there's no one single Klan.

The ones you see on Nat Geo and Louis Theroux interviews are what are called "modern" Klans though IMO they are really just neo-nazis, Aryan nation types, dressed in bed sheets waving swastika flags)

Other Klans consider themselves 2nd era traditionalists. These sorts of Klans are very secretive and ritualistic in nature - they are more of a fraternal organization (frankly not that unlike Freemasons in much of what they do) - and don't make themselves known outside of their own circles.
The examples you gave are not specific to the UK

The entire page is about UK culture.

No culture is specific to a single geographical area because culture is not limited to artificial borders on a map. It is appropriated by those around them and they bleed into one another.

So is British culture something you are a part of or something you are outside of and exploit?
Original post by DiddyDec
The entire page is about UK culture.

No culture is specific to a single geographical area because culture is not limited to artificial borders on a map. It is appropriated by those around them and they bleed into one another.

So is British culture something you are a part of or something you are outside of and exploit?

If I'm living in the UK surely I'm a part of British culture even tho have no bloodline link to the country. Think of me as a foreigner culturally appropriating British culture?
Original post by Lady Comstock
Well that's where your logic is going.

I asked him for a reason
If I'm living in the UK surely I'm a part of British culture even tho have no bloodline link to the country. Think of me as a foreigner culturally appropriating British culture?

You didn't even know what British culture was until 5 minutes ago.

That is exactly what you are doing and you didn't even realise it.

So, is cultural appropriation a bad thing?
You didn't even know what British culture was until 5 minutes ago.

That is exactly what you are doing and you didn't even realise it.

So, is cultural appropriation a bad thing?

But the whole definition of cultural appropriation focuses on minorities,like myself living in a majority British culture,so actually the real question is,is it really cultural appropriation,given this definition?

If it's done intentionally to cause harm,ridicule,mockery,gain credit on behalf of said culture then yes
But the whole definition of cultural appropriation focuses on minorities,like myself living in a majority British culture,so actually the real question is,is it really cultural appropriation,given this definition?

If it's done intentionally to cause harm,ridicule,mockery,gain credit on behalf of said culture then yes

Your definition focuses on minorities. It is important to make this distinction.

Cultural appropriation is the adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of a different culture.

You are a member of a different culture (as you have already said, multiple times) using British culture for your own benefit without crediting it since you have recently admitted to not even knowing what it was.

You are by the actual definition culturally appropriating.

So take dreadlocks, as your video suggests. They are not specific to any one culture, and people have dreadlocks because they like them, not to "take credit" for their creation. Is that bad?
Original post by a noble chance
Can someone please explain to me what 'cultural appropriation' even means?

The ridiculous notion that being of a different culture or race (especially white) means that you are not allowed to adopt things from other cultures. This does nothing but support segregation and hinder progress in the world. All it serves to do is to promote segregation and racism.

However, it must be noted that cultural appropriation trivializes violent historical oppression, spreads lies about marginalized cultures and perpetuates racist stereotypes.
Your definition focuses on minorities. It is important to make this distinction.

Cultural appropriation is the adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of a different culture.

You are a member of a different culture (as you have already said, multiple times) using British culture for your own benefit without crediting it since you have recently admitted to not even knowing what it was.

You are by the actual definition culturally appropriating.

So take dreadlocks, as your video suggests. They are not specific to any one culture, and people have dreadlocks because they like them, not to "take credit" for their creation. Is that bad?

I guess not!

And yes by your definition,I am culturally appropriating British culture
Original post by DMcGovern
The ridiculous notion that being of a different culture or race (especially white) means that you are not allowed to adopt things from other cultures. This does nothing but support segregation and hinder progress in the world. All it serves to do is to promote segregation and racism.

However, it must be noted that cultural appropriation trivializes violent historical oppression, spreads lies about marginalized cultures and perpetuates racist stereotypes.

Could you care to elaborate on your final paragraph please?
I guess not!

And yes by your definition,I am culturally appropriating British culture

Not my definition, the definition.
Not my definition, the definition.

Not sure about that

What do you think about this:

Another user above has recently posted this
Not sure about that

What do you think about this:

Another user above has recently posted this

It needs more explaining, because frankly it makes little sense to me.
It needs more explaining, because frankly it makes little sense to me.

Don't worry,I've asked on your behalf
Could you care to elaborate on your final paragraph please?

Do I have to?
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

jk

In short: Cultural appropriation is when somebody adopts aspects of a culture that’s not their own.But that’s only the most basic definition.

A deeper understanding of cultural appropriation also refers to a particular power dynamic in which members of a dominant culture take elements from a culture of people who have been systematically oppressed by that dominant group.

Oftentimes, our most common reference to something atrocious totally misrepresents the truth, making us think it’s all in good fun.

For instance, if you think about the real story of Pocahontas, having your daughter pretend to be her on Halloween is pretty disturbing. The real Pocahontas, whose given name was Matoaka, was abducted as a teenager, forced to marry an Englishman, and used as propaganda for racist practices before she died at the age of 21.

And it almost feels like that propaganda never ended, as our popular lessons on what happened between colonizing settlers and Indigenous people depict Native people as savages, or as happy, mystical characters, or as entirely absent.We don’t hear the real stories, and most of us don’t live with a direct connection to their suffering.Does the truth matter, when it comes to a little girl just trying to enjoy a holiday?

You might think it does if she wanted to dress up as someone whose tragic truth is more familiar, like Anne Frank.They’re both girls with harrowing stories. But more of us believe that trivializing Anne Frank’s life is in very poor taste.

Can you imagine the outcry if Disney tried to romanticize her diary by aging her into a young woman with a love affair with a Nazi officer and a happy ending?
Now imagine if that Disney movie was mainstream culture’s primary reference for the Holocaust. And if it was marketed to Germans, who were told that the historical figures who oppressed the Jewish people were their country’s heroes.

Creepy, right?

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/cultural-appropriation-wrong/
(edited 8 years ago)
Do I have to?

jk

In short: Cultural appropriation is when somebody adopts aspects of a culture that’s not their own.But that’s only the most basic definition.

A deeper understanding of cultural appropriation also refers to a particular power dynamic in which members of a dominant culture take elements from a culture of people who have been systematically oppressed by that dominant group.

Oftentimes, our most common reference to something atrocious totally misrepresents the truth, making us think it’s all in good fun.

For instance, if you think about the real story of Pocahontas, having your daughter pretend to be her on Halloween is pretty disturbing. The real Pocahontas, whose given name was Matoaka, was abducted as a teenager, forced to marry an Englishman, and used as propaganda for racist practices before she died at the age of 21.

And it almost feels like that propaganda never ended, as our popular lessons on what happened between colonizing settlers and Indigenous people depict Native people as savages, or as happy, mystical characters, or as entirely absent.We don’t hear the real stories, and most of us don’t live with a direct connection to their suffering.Does the truth matter, when it comes to a little girl just trying to enjoy a holiday?

You might think it does if she wanted to dress up as someone whose tragic truth is more familiar, like Anne Frank.They’re both girls with harrowing stories. But more of us believe that trivializing Anne Frank’s life is in very poor taste.

Can you imagine the outcry if Disney tried to romanticize her diary by aging her into a young woman with a love affair with a Nazi officer and a happy ending?
Now imagine if that Disney movie was mainstream culture’s primary reference for the Holocaust. And if it was marketed to Germans, who were told that the historical figures who oppressed the Jewish people were their country’s heroes.

Creepy, right?

Wow! Just makes you think that this cultural appropriation does more harm than good!

Actually a question most people have posed is can the majority culture also be appropriated by the minority?

Y'all take notes
If dressing up in another culture's clothing is offensive, how do we know people dressed as KKK members are not anti-racists mocking the Ku Klux Klan?
Do I have to?

jk

Creepy, right?

LOOOOOOL THE SOURCE, everydayfeminism :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Original post by babawunga
LOOOOOOL THE SOURCE, everydayfeminism :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Care to provide us with a better source,seeing as you're all about facts and sources ?
Care to provide us with a better source,seeing as you're all about facts and sources ?

I can't provide a source for something that doesn't exist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending