The Student Room Group

Help with Business GCSE

Hi I got my mock results back and i managed to only get a D in Business. I was one mark of a C and 6 marks of a B. To get into my Sixth Form I need at least a B in Business (as i want to study it) I struggled mainly with the 9 Markers and I did not have enough time to completely finish the Paper. How can I improve this and get a better grade so i can do better in my actual Exams?
Reply 1
This sounds like an exam technique issue. Try doing past papers or practice questions, but if the struggle is to the point where you haven't got enough time to finish the paper, even at GCSE level, then maybe you should rethink studying it at A level.
Reply 2
Original post by will3482
This sounds like an exam technique issue. Try doing past papers or practice questions, but if the struggle is to the point where you haven't got enough time to finish the paper, even at GCSE level, then maybe you should rethink studying it at A level.

True, but i really want to study it at A Level
Reply 3
I would read through my notes and work through past papers, then look at the questions I got wrong and read through the notes related to them again. I am not demotivating you from A level Business but from what I have heard A levels are much harder than GCSE's. I am taking subjects up for A level I am working at A/A* at GCSE and at A level that would be equivalent to a D/E. You should only be considering subject that you can atleast get a B in at GCSE because below that you would struggle a lot. Even with A*/A/B at GCSE so many people fail A levels so be careful with what you take. It's better to have a A in a subject your strong in than a U in a subject your weaker in.
Reply 4
Original post by Tinka99
I would read through my notes and work through past papers, then look at the questions I got wrong and read through the notes related to them again. I am not demotivating you from A level Business but from what I have heard A levels are much harder than GCSE's. I am taking subjects up for A level I am working at A/A* at GCSE and at A level that would be equivalent to a D/E. You should only be considering subject that you can atleast get a B in at GCSE because below that you would struggle a lot. Even with A*/A/B at GCSE so many people fail A levels so be careful with what you take. It's better to have a A in a subject your strong in than a U in a subject your weaker in.

That is true that's why im taking German (i got in A* in it i did my gcse for it already) But Business i really enjoy so i still want to do it and thanks for the tips
Reply 5
Original post by Tinka99

Yeah I'm doing IT, Chem, Physics and Maths.
For those in GCSE's I got: AAAA
Currently getting: BDEC
Reply 6
Original post by aadin_
That is true that's why im taking German (i got in A* in it i did my gcse for it already) But Business i really enjoy so i still want to do it and thanks for the tips

Congrats on your A* in German. I understand you enjoy Business but with A levels being realistic with your choices is very important. I know so many people who had A*/A at GCSE and have failed A level. Being able to get good grades is also important with enjoying a subject because if you are struggling to get the grades it's not worth it. I have been to 4 sixth form college interviews and the subjects I have applied for I have been working at A*/A in but still was warned about the tremendous leap between GCSE and A level.
Reply 7
Original post by Tinka99
Congrats on your A* in German. I understand you enjoy Business but with A levels being realistic with your choices is very important. I know so many people who had A*/A at GCSE and have failed A level. Being able to get good grades is also important with enjoying a subject because if you are struggling to get the grades it's not worth it. I have been to 4 sixth form college interviews and the subjects I have applied for I have been working at A*/A in but still was warned about the tremendous leap between GCSE and A level.

That is very true however i was ill for about half a year and missed many Lessons and my grades are not the best atm but i am revising a lot and catching up. Business was actually one of my best Lessons after German but i seemed to have gotten worse as before my predicted Grade was an A and now in my exam i only got a D
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aadin_
Hi I got my mock results back and i managed to only get a D in Business. I was one mark of a C and 6 marks of a B. To get into my Sixth Form I need at least a B in Business (as i want to study it) I struggled mainly with the 9 Markers and I did not have enough time to completely finish the Paper. How can I improve this and get a better grade so i can do better in my actual Exams?

I am assuming you study AQA with the 9 markers. Sorry if I am wrong here but I have some advice where most will apply to most exam boards.

I do AQA too. To do well it is worth looking at specific exam techniques.

for AQA 9 markers:

Make judgement
First reason: Advantage, why/example, this could lead to... link to case study
Second reason: Advantage, why/example, this could lead to... link to case study.
Short and long term effects (one or two sentences is fine if time is short)
Repeat judgement if you have time.

General advice would be: Look at past papers and mark schemes with examiner reports. They have exactly what answers do well in a paper.

Look at specifications, they have every topic you need to know of in your GCSE and can be found on the website of the exam board.

Tutor2U website: This is a free online revision guide my teacher reccomended yesterday. It really is great it has all the definitions and pros and cons and is written by business experts.

Hope this helps.

In all fairness, Business GCSE consists of mainly common sense and memory. If you can use this with practiced exam technique and rehearsed definitions then your grades are bound to improve.

Let me know if you have any questions as this was more wordy than I expected :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Charlotte.13
I am assuming you study AQA with the 9 markers. Sorry if I am wrong here but I have some advice where most will apply to most exam boards.

I do AQA too. To do well it is worth looking at specific exam techniques.

for AQA 9 markers:

Make judgement
First reason: Advantage, why/example, this could lead to... link to case study
Second reason: Advantage, why/example, this could lead to... link to case study.
Short and long term effects (one or two sentences is fine if time is short)
Repeat judgement if you have time.

General advice would be: Look at past papers and mark schemes with examiner reports. They have exactly what answers do well in a paper.

Look at specifications, they have every topic you need to know of in your GCSE and can be found on the website of the exam board.

Tutor2U website: This is a free online revision guide my teacher reccomended yesterday. It really is great it has all the definitions and pros and cons and is written by business experts.

Hope this helps.

In all fairness, Business GCSE consists of mainly common sense and memory. If you can use this with practiced exam technique and rehearsed definitions then your grades are bound to improve.

Let me know if you have any questions as this was more wordy than I expected :smile:

Thanks a lot! I know my specifications and i know all my content i just didn't know how to answer the questions, and yes i do AQA. Thanks again :smile:
Original post by aadin_
That is very true however i was ill for about half a year and missed many Lessons and my grades are not the best atm but i am revising a lot and catching up. Business was actually one of my best Lessons after German but i seemed to have gotten worse as before my predicted Grade was an A and now in my exam i only got a D

Ok then maybe Business A level is not a completely bad idea if that was the case. Personally, I feel Business is easy you just have to have a good memory to get a good grade I got an A* in my December mock in GCSE Business Studies just by reading through my notes and doing past papers. I do OCR Business.
Reply 11
Original post by Tinka99
Ok then maybe Business A level is not a completely bad idea if that was the case. Personally, I feel Business is easy you just have to have a good memory to get a good grade I got an A* in my December mock in GCSE Business Studies just by reading through my notes and doing past papers. I do OCR Business.

Yeah thanks, my Sister did Business at A Level so she can help me too. Im good with my content but just need to concentrate on the Exam technique
Original post by aadin_
Yeah thanks, my Sister did Business at A Level so she can help me too. Im good with my content but just need to concentrate on the Exam technique

Ok good luck.
Reply 13
Original post by Tinka99
Ok good luck.

Thanks all the best
Reply 14
I did business and economics last year, and I am still doing economics as my AS this year. I think the main thing about business/economics is that you need to structure your answers. My teacher always said to define the main term and then explain cause how you get marks in the exam is set up, like say 1 for correct definition, 1 for a diagram, 3 for correct explanation of 1 point and 3 for the other and so on.
Also doing past papers helps you get into that habit, hope this helps ! :smile:
Reply 15
Hi, my teacher gave me a sheet on how to answer the 9 markers. Hope it can help you. :smile:
The sheet: http://prntscr.com/aeses9
Original post by aadin_
Thanks a lot! I know my specifications and i know all my content i just didn't know how to answer the questions, and yes i do AQA. Thanks again :smile:

IMG_1675.jpg

Here is the rest of the exam question techniques. The 9 mark one isn't here as I already said it in my post and the one on this sheet isnt great.

Hope this helps you. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Charlotte.13
IMG_1675.jpg

Here is the rest of the exam question techniques. The 9 mark one isn't here as I already said it in my post and the one on this sheet isnt great.

Hope this helps you. :smile:

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest