The Student Room Group

Revision Notes Help

I'm doing GCSE but I'd love to know about the topics covered at A-level for: Maths, FM, Geology, Physics, Chemistry and Biology so I can see what work you do.

If anyone has any notes or can photograph textbook pages I'd love to see them - it would help me decide which A-levels to do too, as I am currently undecided.

Also, if you could list topics you cover in these subjects it would allow me to look into them and see if they are for me - thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

this is what Google's for...
Original post by tothepowerof.

I am aware of that but google doesn't tell you everything, whereas a person who actually studies that particular topic know what they cover better than Google - thanks though :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
I am aware of that but google doesn't tell you everything, whereas a person who actually studies that particular topic know what they cover better than Google - thanks though :smile:

Do you know what exam boards you would be doing?
Do you know what exam boards you would be doing?

Physics and Chemistry would be AQA
Maths and FM Edexcel
Unsure about Geology
Physics and Chemistry would be AQA
Maths and FM Edexcel
Unsure about Geology

Sorry, I do OCR, but hopefully someone will be able to help you :smile:
Sorry, I do OCR, but hopefully someone will be able to help you :smile:

Ah that's ok - thanks anyway :smile:

Good luck with your exams
Anyone got any help for me? Greatly appreciated :smile:
Anyone got any help for me? Greatly appreciated :smile:

Very generally:

Maths/FM - Learning to use maths in a much wider variety of situations than at GCSE, can do mechanics/stats/decision modules, lots of calculus etc.

Physics - more of the same from GCSE, but in greater depth and with more maths.

Chemistry - How and why reactions happen mainly
Original post by samb1234
Very generally:

Maths/FM - Learning to use maths in a much wider variety of situations than at GCSE, can do mechanics/stats/decision modules, lots of calculus etc.

Physics - more of the same from GCSE, but in greater depth and with more maths.

Chemistry - How and why reactions happen mainly

thanks that will help me greatly :smile:
you should do chemistry, physics, biology and maths / chemistry, maths, further maths and physics.
Tbh, I don't think theres any use for you to do geology.
Reply 11
The only board that does geology is WJEC. In terms of reasons for doing it it depends what you want area you want to go into. Do you do GCSE geology as from what my friends who have done GCSE and are doing A Level say they're practically the same except that a level goes into a bit more depth. However, if you want to go on to do geology or a related degree at uni pretty much all unis won't say it's necessary to have geology and some don't even count it as a science. You're probably better off doing at least two of biology, chemistry or physics if you want to head down the geology route (which I would recommend! It's brilliant!)
Original post by C.P.
The only board that does geology is WJEC. In terms of reasons for doing it it depends what you want area you want to go into. Do you do GCSE geology as from what my friends who have done GCSE and are doing A Level say they're practically the same except that a level goes into a bit more depth. However, if you want to go on to do geology or a related degree at uni pretty much all unis won't say it's necessary to have geology and some don't even count it as a science. You're probably better off doing at least two of biology, chemistry or physics if you want to head down the geology route (which I would recommend! It's brilliant!)

Ah right thank you for this - I am not sure about geology as I wasn't offered it at GCSE but I do currently do Geography and prefer the physical side of it, so thought this would be a fitting option. I don't know what I want to do at Uni yet but I was considering either physics or atmospheric sciences.
Reply 13
Ah right thank you for this - I am not sure about geology as I wasn't offered it at GCSE but I do currently do Geography and prefer the physical side of it, so thought this would be a fitting option. I don't know what I want to do at Uni yet but I was considering either physics or atmospheric sciences.

With either of those it's probably safer to go with the more conventional sciences so that whichever universities you do apply to you won't have them turn around and tell you that you need three sciences and that geology doesn't count. However, geology is brilliant. Unless you're starting in September you'll be on the new spec though so I don't know what topics you'd cover. However, it will probably include stuff on structure of the earth, rock formation, minerals, a bit of petroleum geology, fossils, structural geology (reading geological maps and interpreting folds and faults etc.) and geological hazards as they're all pretty core topics. If you like the physical side of geography (which I completely relate to, physical is way better) then maybe see if you could do a course that only does physical? It's unlikely but might be worth investigating...
Original post by C.P.
With either of those it's probably safer to go with the more conventional sciences so that whichever universities you do apply to you won't have them turn around and tell you that you need three sciences and that geology doesn't count. However, geology is brilliant. Unless you're starting in September you'll be on the new spec though so I don't know what topics you'd cover. However, it will probably include stuff on structure of the earth, rock formation, minerals, a bit of petroleum geology, fossils, structural geology (reading geological maps and interpreting folds and faults etc.) and geological hazards as they're all pretty core topics. If you like the physical side of geography (which I completely relate to, physical is way better) then maybe see if you could do a course that only does physical? It's unlikely but might be worth investigating...

Yes I completely understand that - do you happen to study Biology at A-level? How different is it from GCSE?

you might as well say "what's the point in TSR to ask questions when you have google?"
-facepalm-
Reply 16
Yes I completely understand that - do you happen to study Biology at A-level? How different is it from GCSE?

I do yes :smile: And it goes into far more depth (i.e. they still tell you lies but not such big ones) I am doing only in AS at the moment so I can't tell you about year 13 but it gets far more interesting! If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me :smile:
Original post by C.P.
I do yes :smile: And it goes into far more depth (i.e. they still tell you lies but not such big ones) I am doing only in AS at the moment so I can't tell you about year 13 but it gets far more interesting! If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me :smile:

Ah right - the only reason I ask is because I am on track to get A* across everything at GCSE including Biology, but my teacher has kind of put me off wanting to study it further, though I am not completely ruling this out. So, if I decided to take all three sciences do you think it would be a better choice than Biology? :smile:
Reply 18
Ah right - the only reason I ask is because I am on track to get A* across everything at GCSE including Biology, but my teacher has kind of put me off wanting to study it further, though I am not completely ruling this out. So, if I decided to take all three sciences do you think it would be a better choice than Biology? :smile:

That depends on how you've been put off?
Original post by C.P.
That depends on how you've been put off?

It's more the way they teach that has annoyed me - they yell at us when we try to make notes and doesn't really explain the stuff we need to know. The only reason I have any interest in it whatsoever is because I do the research/revision outside the classroom.

Quick Reply

Latest