The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ILikePasta
How can you be sure it's never changed? Have you got a copy from over 1000 years ago?

I myself do not but there are copies of the Quran from over 1400 years ago
Original post by Tahira__
So you are saying that just believing that there is a purpose of life is retarded?

No, I answered your question of "Why do atheists not believe in God?" with "Because they're not retarded."
I have no idea what you are on about
But would like you to answer seriously
I'm guessing you just came out with that outburst because I struck you with something that I had said

nice!
Original post by Hydeman
Given the bubble in which a lot of religious parents raise their children, I almost don't have it in me to blame teenagers who turn up on this website and are bewildered when such apologia isn't greeted with unanimous cries of, 'MashaAllah, sister!' and 'Alhamdulillah, brother!'

Ha! True, PRSOM. It's basically the equivalent of someone saying "evolution is just a theory!" or "there is no evidence for evolution, where is the missing link?" (e.g. Zakir Naik)
Original post by chemting
Are you being dragonophobic?

No, I'm just saying that we shouldn't allow dragons to have impossible colours, just because they're dragons.
Reply 65
Original post by Lord Kitchener
Science provides evidence that disproves a lot of things that the bible states. Also seeing how far it has backtracked as our understanding of the world increases means i see it as only a matter of time before religion is obsolete. It is purely a coping mechanism in my eyes, when you have nothing but poverty you rely on faith, for the wealtherit is just maintaining tradition. I'm quite nihilistic in my approach to life and the lack of a god is equally saddening as it is liberating for me.

I myself do not follow the bible, but do follow some of the Old Testament as that has not been changed
That is true what you have said about those in poverty relying on faith
This is a good reason why I would say that God has tested them in this life through living in poverty and if they still believe then God will give them everything in the hereafter
Reply 66
Original post by Terry Tibbs
No, I answered your question of "Why do atheists not believe in God?" with "Because they're not retarded."

Can I ask if you don't mind why you believe this ?
Can I ask if you don't mind why you believe this ?

Maybe we have no reason to believe in god. As far as I'm concerned what's the point?
I myself do not follow the bible, but do follow some of the Old Testament as that has not been changed

Nonsense. Islam's attitude to the books revealed to all prophets prior to Muhammad is that they've been corrupted with time. This includes the Old Testament.

This is a good reason why I would say that God has tested them in this life through living in poverty and if they still believe then God will give them everything in the hereafter

I'm actually rather surprised that you don't see the charlatanism in this reasoning.
Reply 69
Then how were you created
This being, a human body, which is the most complex creation on this earth
Was created by no one? It just came to be?

Incredulity fallacy.
[QUOTE="Tahira__;63382785"]Just want people serious answers I am just curious
Why do atheists not believe in God? What do they then believe in?[/QUOTE)

Well the majority of atheists have grown around the wrong ideology of God (from their family friends guardians etc..) therefore influencing them to waver the thought of a God existing at all, they are not to blame sometimes as some religions do tend to have completely false assumptions of what a GOD REALLY IS

If you are a bit stuck read the definition of the Quran in English to give you a real feel of what religion and submission to God really is ; what the rewards are
Because I find it to be the best conclusion based on the current evidence.
Reply 72
Belief isn't an arbitrary decision

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by malaikaxx
Well the majority of atheists have grown around the wrong ideology of God (from their family friends guardians etc..) therefore influencing them to waver the thought of a God existing at all

Hi, my name is irony. Can I strip naked and dance in front of you?
That is true what you have said about those in poverty relying on faith

No but my point is that those in poverty haven't had the education of those in more secular countries like the UK and therefore are more likely to turn to religion instead of seeing the socio-economic factors that are causing them to be in poverty, it's simply the situation that their place of birth has put them in. Once we can finally educate everyone to the standard "we" have been educated the ubiquity of religion will fall, not overnight of course because of how ingrained it is in society, but 500 years time? almost certainly, the advent of the internet is also opening people to more ideas and beliefs and that is only helping dispel religion in my opinion, rather than having your parents or school as your only means of education, I just see religion as an oppressor rather than a liberator and that is evident from history when people were more reliant on religion in their communities and it's social benefits.

I don't at all see how you can only cherry pick what part of the bible you follow, the whole text is there for a reason because it is supposedly god's word, why would you not follow it absolutely? I understand the varying levels of faith, but why have faith at all? Why cant people take responsibility for their own actions rather than putting it to god's wish, or atleast rationally assess your situation and see what it could be that is putting you in a bad situation.
My worldview is like a puzzle, god is like a puzzle piece from a different set. If I try to piece it into my world view no matter how hard I try, it doesn't seem to fit.
Original post by Hydeman
I'm not so sure. Given the fantastic manoeuvres undertaken by mainstream Christian denominations in fitting evolution into their creationist worldview, I can't imagine a discovery big enough that it wouldn't be somehow 're-interpreted' into or incorporated by religions.

I don't think a discovery in necessary, after a while people will see how far religion has backtracked from just medieval times that eventually it's use will be obsolete. Just look at the anglican church with gay marriage, their beliefs are just out of touch, their lack of opinion on IVF and their bigotry toward homosexuals. It will no longer be a 'must' to be religious but a choice that people choose to make, and not many of those who are educated will pick it. It ties in with tradition and upbringing that will be the cause of it lasting so long. I think it was Dawkins who said that if you brought up a child with no religion and just facts then there would be no doubt it would grow up an Athiest, it's the same on the opposite side with religious groups like Mormons, except for the fact that facts are true not just opinion or 'belief' with no supporting evidence. That's why I think it will fail, they are grasping at straws so hard.
I myself do not but there are copies of the Quran from over 1400 years ago
Just saying, the oldest known fragment that I'm aware of was found to be from between 568-645. If muslim tradition is anything to go by then we narrow the date down further to 610-645. Given that the revelations that form the Quran occurred between 610 and 632, the only safe timescale for an old piece of the Quran is 632+, or in this case, 632-645, which puts you at just over 1370 years...
Reply 78
Original post by ILikePasta
Maybe we have no reason to believe in god. As far as I'm concerned what's the point?

What's the point?
It increasing your faith and gives a purpose in life, the way you live your life and how you act in relation to others
It gives you a guidance in how you live your life etc.
Because reality appears to have a strong atheist bias.

How people become atheists differs from person to person. Some people are never presented with religion as children, and as adults have the critical thinking skills to simply reject it the same way they rejected Santa when they were six. Others were raised religious but as their scientific literacy improved they spotted the contradictions between reality and religious misinterpretations of reality.

Personally I was raised a christian, I quickly learned that god's (or gods') spokesmen on earth were untrustworthy scumbags who sought power and influence over others, and found that religion offered an easy shortcut to gain this power. This wasn't enough to remove my faith, just my reverence of religious preachers. Then I realised that I'm a bisexual man, I'm capable of falling in love with members of either gender and there's nothing I can do about that. This left me with a great deal of cognitive dissonance, after all god is meant to be love right? But if god made me non-straight, and homosexuality is a sin...does that mean god made me purely so he has someone to hate?

I quickly realised this didn't make sense so I became a theist; someone who rejects religions but still believes in a god who cares what people get up to, this allowed me to push past the entire Christian dogma but retain faith.

Whilst at university I decided to read through the bible in full (I was an English Language and Literature student, English literature borrows a lot from the bible) and what I found was that not only does the book come across as less realistic than Harry Potter, but that god, as a concept, is fundamentally totalitarian. To believe in god is to believe that we are being watched and judged every second of every minute of every day. Not just for our actions, but for our thoughts and beliefs. This is literal thoughtcrime, having read 1984 just prior to reading the bible I found too many parallels between god and Big Brother. Except at least Big Brother wouldn't drag you to Room 101 just for having the wrong emotions, but envy is such a harsh sin it's even mentioned in the commandments. It's not some silly little rule like not eating shellfish or wearing two fabrics of clothes or the evil of decorating a tree. (That's right, christmas trees are sinful Jeremiah 10:1-5)

So not only am I an atheist now, but an antitheist, someone who is actively offended by the very concept of god and glad that every religious text is incorrect in their initial assumption, namely the existence of a theistic deity (or deities) excluding the texts of Buddhism and Scientology of course, which are wrong for different reasons. The assumption that theistic dieties exist is not only patently false but would be completely undesirable if true. If christianity was true, I'd ally with Satan in order to dethrone god, as such a throne cannot exist alongside freedom and morality.

Latest

Trending

Trending