The Student Room Group

Journey to Medical School - Year 11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by khatx
Ahhhh hey Lucy, I love your GYG thread, I just spent a good 20 minutes going through it haha! I also want to go into medicine, hopefully to become a doctor as well, so that's great. I have a GYG blog as well, which you could check out if you want to...? We can share revision tips and exchange ideas, if you'd like! :biggrin:

(http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3902507&p=62851293#post62851293)

Of course I would! My 2 hour break today was spent finishing up my cover letter and CV to send off to my hopeful work experience placement tomorrow 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Despite the delay in parts of my revision, by Sunday it was a great first week! I completed all task assigned and even managed to go beyond it in parts for example completing some exercise book questions in Spanish. My favourite part of my revision last week was the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde chapter summaries and analysis because it means that I have analysed every chapter as if it was an extract in the exam (though not in as much detail, granted!). On Saturday I felt quite tired from the week so I gave myself a break and went prom dressing shopping (I bought my dress for £59.30!) and for my friends birthday meal, which meant that by Sunday I could work from 12-7, completing my citizenship revision for that day, my religious studies revision that I missed on Saturday and any other work (like my science) from school. Anyway, enough of that, here's some of the revision I have completed with a brief explanation! Hope your revision is going well so far :smile:
For music I made notes on everything from the specification for Rhythm (the specification tells you everything you need to know to get an A* :wink: just type in "exam board gcse subject specification" on google and it should come up) and practice listening to some really cool pieces of music with different rhythmic forms like an Indian piece and jazz piece with an awesome saxophone melody (jazz is my secret passion). I then did some listening sheets that I get from school and went through them and got my teacher to mark them today. I also used, but incidentally not this time, a music theory app that trains your ears to listen to discreet musical devices like cadences, intervals and scales. I think these, for me anyway, are the only way to revise music and it is apparently going well because: in my first mock I got a C and in my second mock I got... an A*!
For Spanish I 'borrowed' a text book from my school that is actually incredible for reading passages because it covers all the higher level vocabulary detailed in the AQA Spanish specification! I also used memrise to learn the vocabulary from the Holidays unit. I swear there were words there (its a flashcard website/app where someone has posted flashcards of my entire specification) that my teacher has never even taught us! But I'd rather learn them now then when I'm revising it than in an exam!
I don't want to jinx it but I find religious studies my easiest subject because I find it easier to answer using evidence. I think this is from my history skills (as are my good Literature skills) and I cannot describe how thankful I am for taking history! Last week I revised human relationships and medical ethics in Christianity and used a mind map to highlight the key ideas :smile: this way it is easy to recall in the exam. My biggest tip fr religious studies is to have at least 3 for and against points for each topics because the examiner wants to know that you understand that there are different degrees of each religion for example the Roman Catholic Church and Free Churches almost completely disagree on some topics!
Citizenship is another subject I find quite easy and I am doing well in this subject currently (4A*s so far...) due to the way I write the notes and do background research on each topic. For example I research two trade unions belonging to the Trade Union Congress (TUC) and write down a description about them and this is very useful in the exam! I also finished my unit 1 citizenship flashcards.
Today I had a lovely day because I had a music lesson for the first time in awhile due to mocks and holidays, so it was a lovely outlet. Then I began doing some revision and that was also lovely (I'm not crazy but psychologists say that if you think revision is fun you're more likely to actually find it fun and take stuff in?!) because I'm confident on Ancient Medicine and it was good to consolidate things I learnt in Year 10 and had gone over in class a couple of weeks ago. For history I used my flashcards as topic questions and wrote down posters for each of the ancient medicine units on the main things they test you on in the exam. I'm getting nervous for my results on Wednesday now!
#whenyouforgettoattachtheimage
Got another interview after school today, wish me luck!

I'm quite tired because Tuesday is my busiest day for revision and I didn't finish all I wanted to do in terms of questions and because I'm busy at the weekend I'm going to be doing some biology questions today at lunch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a lovely time topping up all of my revision equipment yesterday, ready for a productive day of catchup and extension :smile: I have my speaking and listening on Friday (mock) and next Friday (real thing) so I'll be doing some practice for this also. How is revision going for you lovely people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry I haven't updated in over a week but I've been super busy with revision! My teacher told us that there were 25 school days left before our first exam so I got really stressed out and stretched myself to the limit) never will I ever try and do that again). I will do an update of my revision so far this evening but for now, here's my aims for today:
- finish my Christianity mind map
- complete flashcards on theme 2 citizenship, notes on case studies, complete notes on chosen topic (immigrants)
- apply for summer job at children's park (whoopee!)
- mark my science paper 2s to identify areas I need to study
- finish my physics questions
- identify topics that I will cover in my frees tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman
For music I made notes on everything from the specification for Rhythm (the specification tells you everything you need to know to get an A* :wink: just type in "exam board gcse subject specification" on google and it should come up) and practice listening to some really cool pieces of music with different rhythmic forms like an Indian piece and jazz piece with an awesome saxophone melody (jazz is my secret passion). I then did some listening sheets that I get from school and went through them and got my teacher to mark them today. I also used, but incidentally not this time, a music theory app that trains your ears to listen to discreet musical devices like cadences, intervals and scales. I think these, for me anyway, are the only way to revise music and it is apparently going well because: in my first mock I got a C and in my second mock I got... an A*!

How have I managed to miss your blog until now???
What's the app called? I got a B in my first mock and the fact that you got A* in your second (I bow down to your awesome musical genius) is really impressive. I wish my teacher gave me listening sheets, we only have past papers and I don't know how else to revise except to use the revision guide I bought. I'd really appreciate if you could give me the name of the app you use since I could use all the help I can get. (I'm with AQA but even if you aren't it will still be useful!)
Original post by Ara8311a
How have I managed to miss your blog until now???
What's the app called? I got a B in my first mock and the fact that you got A* in your second (I bow down to your awesome musical genius) is really impressive. I wish my teacher gave me listening sheets, we only have past papers and I don't know how else to revise except to use the revision guide I bought. I'd really appreciate if you could give me the name of the app you use since I could use all the help I can get. (I'm with AQA but even if you aren't it will still be useful!)

The second one was due to luck (and sweat arpeggios on the piano tho :-|, blood - guitar strings bloody hurt, and tears - that AQA listening test kills me.) and the AQA listening test book where you buy the accompanying tracks on iTunes. The app is called gojimo :smile: I'd be happy to FaceTime/Skype you some time to go over some music stuff. I normally do music revision on Friday so just pm me and we could sort something!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The second one was due to luck (and sweat arpeggios on the piano tho :-|, blood - guitar strings bloody hurt, and tears - that AQA listening test kills me.) and the AQA listening test book where you buy the accompanying tracks on iTunes. The app is called gojimo :smile: I'd be happy to FaceTime/Skype you some time to go over some music stuff. I normally do music revision on Friday so just pm me and we could sort something!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just found out that I had the Gojimo app, I must have downloaded it during a stint of procrastination. It's really good for music tho! I didn't know you could get the test book for AQA. I have the revision guide from the series but the listening tests look really good. :smile: I'll definitely be buying that. I'll bear that in mind when I get to that stage in music revision. At the moment I'm in the stage where I like to lock myself away and try to figure out what I need to improve on and learn stuff from my notes. Thank you for the tips! There might be some hope left for me! :smile:
I can remember being your position last year! Although not to do medicine, but being expected to do well. I managed to do pretty well in the end:wink:.

Take a look at my thread to see where I am now: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3933615
I just found out that I had the Gojimo app, I must have downloaded it during a stint of procrastination. It's really good for music tho! I didn't know you could get the test book for AQA. I have the revision guide from the series but the listening tests look really good. :smile: I'll definitely be buying that. I'll bear that in mind when I get to that stage in music revision. At the moment I'm in the stage where I like to lock myself away and try to figure out what I need to improve on and learn stuff from my notes. Thank you for the tips! There might be some hope left for me! :smile:

I know what you mean. The only thing quelling the tide of fear threatening to consume me (how poetic!) is the knowledge that my science coursework, actually all my coursework, is worth more than the entire exam! If you get A*s in all you coursework for music, and a B in the exam, you get an A* overall! Or if you get A*s in the coursework and a C in the exam it's an A overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what you mean. The only thing quelling the tide of fear threatening to consume me (how poetic!) is the knowledge that my science coursework, actually all my coursework, is worth more than the entire exam! If you get A*s in all you coursework for music, and a B in the exam, you get an A* overall! Or if you get A*s in the coursework and a C in the exam it's an A overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: My coursework is at an A grade and that's pushing it. Composition is not my favourite thing in the whole world. My performances are high A*s so hopefully I can get A* overall! I didn't realise it worked like that but yay! More hope of getting an A* :biggrin:
:smile: My coursework is at an A grade and that's pushing it. Composition is not my favourite thing in the whole world. My performances are high A*s so hopefully I can get A* overall! I didn't realise it worked like that but yay! More hope of getting an A* :biggrin:

Really happy with my coursework as I worked super hard to get it to an A*, like my performances so that's good :smile: I would love an A* in music but I would be happy with an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really happy with my coursework as I worked super hard to get it to an A*, like my performances so that's good :smile: I would love an A* in music but I would be happy with an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would be thrilled with an A* but even a B would be an achievement. :smile: I still have to repeat my ensemble performance and improve my first composition but once I've done that I should be back on track. :smile:
Revision Roundup (there's lovely ring to that, isn't there):
- I'm getting tired from it so I'm having to reduce what I'm doing at home but it's okay because... I know have 4 frees a week with another 2 every other week due to no longer needing to do PE, my extended form session being dedicated to revision, and my two teachers that let me do what I want in their lessons :smile:
- Never try and analyse 31 chapters of TKAM in one night: you can't do it! Instead I'm dedicating most of my frees so this and my English lessons.
- Core and Additional science is easy when you look back on it from further... Solidifying the knowledge you would've needed to understand what the hell was going on and why 😂
- If you ask your Spanish teacher for extra Spanish lessons they may cry: take some tissues so that when you turn up on a Thursday you're not drowned in their thankful tears
- Take advantage (not that way :wink: ) of your teachers: go to their marking parties, get some pizza, and begin discussing whatever revision you were doing then and there :smile:

Pictures and summaries are on their way!

P.S. I'm found out I'm short sighted and I get my glasses today :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending