The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Logolept
No matter what happens this season, Arsene does not deserve to be sacked. We ain't Chelsea.

Why does he not deserve to be sacked? He should have been sacked years ago.
The guys who think Wenger should stay are definitely into cuckolding
Welbeck needs that Martial composure.
Original post by Rk2k14
Welbeck needs that Martial composure.

His goalscoring record too.

Man went 13 games without a goal.

brb Martin Tyler still in an orgasmic state from that Liverpool goal
Original post by Jimmy Seville

cant remember the last time we made a commentator cream themselves
Welbeck need to go to Everton

Brb scored more than Hazard
Brb already got 10 goals after being a waste of money.

....and then Benteke showed him up with a better goal.
Original post by atom y humber
Welbeck need to go to Everton

why is that?
Arsenal will dominate and win 2-1 at Barcelona. Then they'll hit form and lose out on the title by 2 points on the last day. Then it'll come good next year. That's how this works.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Arsenal will dominate and win 3-1 at Barcelona, and Barcelona will go through on the away goals rule. Then they'll hit form and lose out on the title by 2 points on the last day. Then it'll come good next year. That's how this works.

Actually it's Arsenal that would go through :ahee: (If the scores were reversed, entirely different story)
You probably want us to lose on penalties though :wink:
Original post by shawn_o1
Actually it's Arsenal that would go through :ahee: (If the scores were reversed, entirely different story)
You probably want us to lose on penalties though :wink:

Why I never said what you quoted.
Why I never said what you quoted.

Cheeky. I beat you to the edit button :wink:
Reply 5733
Maybe, but when he took over he had to contend with the emergence of Man Utd and Leeds, and he's been spending like he's had limited resources for years. He's had a large budget for many years, which has got larger every year because he usually doesn't spend most of it and lets other teams get the players.

Chelsea didn't pose a problem for Man Utd themselves, because they worked even harder. Meanwhile, coupled with the happy loss of his tough players and not replacing them with steel, Arsenal just fell behind.

Although a side issue, I would argue that Man Utd were pretty were established when he took over, but I see your point. City and Chelsea both arguably came out of nowhere because of their massive spending power. And Utd have always been pretty comfortable.

Not sure how long he's had a big budget. Didn't we just relatively recently pay off our stadium debt? Agree that we failed to replace our tougher players. It was a shift to a possession style of football that caused this. I'm assuming you'll point out that this was a failure, but it wasn't too long ago that Barcelona dominated with this style. Factor in a loss of key players such as Fabregas and Nasri (reluctant to mention both), it's understandable why we've stalled and restarted.

And yes, maybe he could have competed with other teams in signing players, but we've been blown out of the water due to the financial power of others.
We do have the money now, but we still don't spend it. This is what austerity does to a club.
Reply 5735
We do have the money now, but we still don't spend it. This is what austerity does to a club.

Sanchez and Ozil are two examples of us spending money. Can't defend Wenger for only signing Cech last summer and Elneny in Jan, but rumours are that we tried for a big name e.g. Benzema. We simply couldn't attract them. And yes, I agree that we could have reinforced, not necessarily just with a big name. Kante is one example.
Original post by AHP1
Sanchez and Ozil are two examples of us spending money. Can't defend Wenger for only signing Cech last summer and Elneny in Jan, but rumours are that we tried for a big name e.g. Benzema. We simply couldn't attract them. And yes, I agree that we could have reinforced, not necessarily just with a big name. Kante is one example.

It is rather naive to think that shelling out on players who were surplus at other (arguably bigger) clubs actually improved us in any way. Nobody had heard of Kanté until Leicester signed him, plus no one thought that he'd turned out well for them.
(edited 8 years ago)
It is rather naive to think that shelling out on players who were surplus at other (arguably bigger) clubs actually improved us in any way. Nobody had heard of Kanté until Leicester signed him, plus no one thought that he'd turned out well for them.

'Arguably' first of all its laughable to thinking they might be bigger clubs than Arsenal, we're not even in the same league as those two, secondly, Ozil was not surplus, Alexis became so after the purchase of Neymar(not many would be kept on after that)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am just absolutely fuming after the Spurs win tbh, what a ****ing complete mess. Those idiots down the road are not going to shut the **** up.
Reply 5739
What guarantee is there that the new manager will spend? How do we even know that he won't have the exact same restrictions as Wenger has had?

Latest