The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Edexcel M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread
I hope you find this very useful as a directory for resources and a help desk for any questions about M1 homework, the exam and last minute tips! There are some extremely able people on here, who will be very happy to help - use this to your advantage!

Exam Date
Wednesday 8th June 2016 am - 90mins

Exam Info/Guidance
M1 - arguably the hardest module for AS Maths. Most of it is new maths to the majority, and if you don't do Physics you are likely to find it harder. This does not mean you can become complacent with M1 because once the exam comes around, this 'shared difficulty' (I don't know what you call it) will have become smaller. People would've been working on the bits they had found difficult, and will now be their strength. Don't be the guy to rely on low grade boundaries. Hard exams are great because if you work really hard for it, you can come out on top!

Resources
Exam solutions videos for M1
Edexcel A-level Maths section
Various M1 resources
MyMaths
MrBartonMaths Applied Module stuff
MadAsMaths M1 Booklets

Past Papers/Practice Papers
Edexcel M1 Past Papers
OCR M1 Past Papers
OCR MEI M1 Past Papers
M1 Solomon Papers
Bronze/Silver/Gold Practice Papers (Bronze = easy, Silver = intermediate, Gold = hard)
Chapter Practice Questions for M1
crashMATHS M1 Practice Paper
[url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/mathematics.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK[excludedFace]u[/excludedFace]nit%2FPaper-M1"]Try an International A-level Past Paper

Hopefully this thread has enough resources to help you gain top marks, and enough questions to last a lifetime. If you ever (unlikely) or think you will run out of questions, buy some really old textbooks off Amazon for 1p and you will hopefully never run out of questions.

Good Luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jamestg
Please note the title was not me trying to be funny, but was done in homage to this aptly named playlist.

my advice is to change the title ...
Reply 3
Updated both title and OP.
Nice thread!

Taking M1 for AS Further Maths :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by GarlicBread01
Nice thread!

Taking M1 for AS Further Maths :s-smilie:

Thanks and good luck!
Has anyone started doing past papers yet??

I was waiting for us finish the book in class to start banging out the past papers in January, yet its almost March and we're just finishing off chapter 6 vectors !! Didn't expect it to take this long
Reply 7

I was waiting for us finish the book in class to start banging out the past papers in January, yet its almost March and we're just finishing off chapter 6 vectors !! Didn't expect it to take this long

Not yet - still got to finish moments and vectors!
Reply 8

We actually finished M1 before Christmas.. :P AS Further Maths too. What other modules you taking?
Original post by hogree
We actually finished M1 before Christmas.. :P AS Further Maths too. What other modules you taking?

We just finished M1 recently last week now. :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Im also taking FP1 and D1. We spent september to december doing FP1 then jan to march for M1 and now we've started doing D1. Hope we finish D1 soon !

What about you ?

I wouldn't worry too much, you still have a lot of time before the exam
Reply 11
Would love to help where I can - I did alright in IAL M1 last June. :smile:
Reply 12
Same as the above, I did alright this Jan in M1. Hit me up if you need help. :smile:
Reply 13
We just finished M1 recently last week now. :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Im also taking FP1 and D1. We spent september to december doing FP1 then jan to march for M1 and now we've started doing D1. Hope we finish D1 soon !

What about you ?

Same modules :five: Yeah, D1 is completely different from the other two, it's really really really simple mathematically but the concepts and methods aren't easy to some. If you have mymaths though, it really really really helps with D1.

We have two teachers so we did FP1 and M1 at the same time and got them done by Christmas, and now we're done with D1. Feel for you. :L
Original post by jamestg
Thanks and good luck!

I'm doing this exam aswell.

I hate the fact that during the 2 week break from late May -> Early June the only exam we have during the entire week is M1 and then the following week we
have C3 + C4 in the same week + Physics U4. :cry:
Reply 15
Resitting M1 as last year I got an E :colondollar:, but I was just 6 UMS off of an A overall for AS :fuhrer: . So I'm hoping to smash M1 this time so I need to get less marks in M2 and still hopefully get an A/A*
Hi guys could I just confirm if we're allowed to use column vector notation for our working out instead of using i and j? and then at the end convert the column vector into unit vector notation?
Is this okay? I just find using column vectors easier to deal with
Reply 17
Hi guys could I just confirm if we're allowed to use column vector notation for our working out instead of using i and j? and then at the end convert the column vector into unit vector notation?
Is this okay? I just find using column vectors easier to deal with

Yes. :smile: The mark scheme explicitly states that it accepts column vectors.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Yes. :smile: The mark scheme explicitly states that it accepts column vectors.

Okay thanks!
Just wondering, will the exam board take into account of the questions that came up from the year 2001-2005 or is that too old? I heard that the exam board is trying to put some questions that are similar to the those papers this year. Would that be likely?? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending