The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by babawunga
I can't provide a source for something that doesn't exist.

So,because you've never experienced it,does that mean it doesn't exist? You sound like those people who complain racism doesn't exist because they've never experienced it
Original post by queen-bee
Care to provide us with a better source,seeing as you're all about facts and sources ?

Buuuurn :tongue:

Wow! Just makes you think that this cultural appropriation does more harm than good!

Actually a question most people have posed is can the majority culture also be appropriated by the minority?

Y'all take notes

I wouldn't say so. At least not in the vast majority of situations.

It's not the same as assimilation, when marginalized people adopt elements of the dominant culture in order to survive conditions that make life more of a struggle if they don’t.
Some say, for instance, that non-Western people who wear jeans and Indigenous people who speak English are taking from dominant cultures, too.
But marginalized groups don’t have the power to decide if they’d prefer to stick with their customs or try on the dominant culture’s traditions just for fun.

When the last living survivors of massacred Indigenous tribes are fighting to save their language before it dies when they do, and Native students are suspended for speaking in their own Indigenous languages, mirroring the abusive US boarding schools that tried to wipe out Native American cultures up until the 1980s, it’s clear that not every person who speaks English does so by choice.

Basically, context matters.
Which means it’s not about saying that you, as an individual, are a bad person if you appropriate someone else’s culture.
It’s a complicated issue that includes our histories, our current state of affairs, and our future, as we act to eliminate oppression, instead of perpetuating it.

:smile:
So,because you've never experienced it,does that mean it doesn't exist? You sound like those people who complain racism doesn't exist because they've never experienced it

Why did you bring racism into this? Why did you assume what I've experienced or not?

Can you tell me how you've experienced 'cultural appropriation'?
Original post by DMcGovern
Buuuurn :tongue:

I wouldn't say so. At least not in the vast majority of situations.

It's not the same as assimilation, when marginalized people adopt elements of the dominant culture in order to survive conditions that make life more of a struggle if they don’t.
Some say, for instance, that non-Western people who wear jeans and Indigenous people who speak English are taking from dominant cultures, too.
But marginalized groups don’t have the power to decide if they’d prefer to stick with their customs or try on the dominant culture’s traditions just for fun.

When the last living survivors of massacred Indigenous tribes are fighting to save their language before it dies when they do, and Native students are suspended for speaking in their own Indigenous languages, mirroring the abusive US boarding schools that tried to wipe out Native American cultures up until the 1980s, it’s clear that not every person who speaks English does so by choice.

Basically, context matters.
Which means it’s not about saying that you, as an individual, are a bad person if you appropriate someone else’s culture.
It’s a complicated issue that includes our histories, our current state of affairs, and our future, as we act to eliminate oppression, instead of perpetuating it.

:smile:

Thank you for your informed opinion on the matter :smile:
Why did you bring racism into this? Why did you assume what I've experienced or not?

Can you tell me how you've experienced 'cultural appropriation'?

I was using that as an example. So I'm asking you why you think it doesn't exist?

Not on an individual basis I haven't but I've stories of people/celebrities trying to appropriate middle eastern/Italian culture. I don't rule it out completely because I've never experienced it or don't agree with it. I'm open to learning about it
I was using that as an example. So I'm asking you why you think it doesn't exist?

Not on an individual basis I haven't but I've stories of people/celebrities trying to appropriate middle eastern/Italian culture. I don't rule it out completely because I've never experienced it or don't agree with it. I'm open to learning about it

Can you explain what it means to appropriate a culture and how it is offensive?

Also, yesterday you said Italians are white so they couldn't be appropriated. Hmm.
Can you explain what it means to appropriate a culture and how it is offensive?

Also, yesterday you said Italians are white so they couldn't be appropriated. Hmm.

The above user has just given us an informed insight as to what cultural appropriation is and why it's harmful.

Yes,that's correct and because most of the time the definition of cultural appropriation refers to minority cultures being exploited,it really depends on the context of the situation,that's not to say majority cultures can't also be exploited
The above user has just given us an informed insight as to what cultural appropriation is and why it's harmful.

Yes,that's correct and because most of the time the definition of cultural appropriation refers to minority cultures being exploited,it really depends on the context of the situation,that's not to say majority cultures can't also be exploited

I am not reading something from a feminist source.

Not all white people have the same culture. How racist of you to suggest so. Italian are a minority in the US.

Not all white people have the same culture. How racist of you to suggest so. Italian are a minority in the US.

Okay habibi,that's your choice

Nobody said they have they same culture,they are the majority group in Europe? Please don't lecture me on Italians,my father was one himself. Thank you
Thank you for your informed opinion on the matter :smile:

Nooo problem :smile:

Oh, so you're not going to read an educative piece of information on the basis that it was published and written by someone with egalitarian views?
Despite this, nothing in the article refers to feminism.

Top marks for bigotry.
Original post by Trojan Horse

No thanks
On a census* sorry using my phone

Calling your little friends for backup,is that why you're acting like a keyboard warrior instead of contributing

Oooooh @babawunga she's burned you so hard you may never get out of the ICU :biggrin:

But seriously, stop being an SJW.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not calling them for backup, I'm calling them to laugh at your utter cringeworthy stupidity.

You refused to read an educative piece of information on the basis that it was published and written by someone with views different to yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oooooh @babawunga she's burned you so hard you may never get out of the ICU :biggrin:

But seriously, stop being an SJW.

Can't tell if sarcasm or not.
I'm not calling them for backup, I'm calling them to laugh at your utter cringeworthy stupidity.

Stupidity because I got a word wrong when you have been unable to type no more than simple sentences,no facts or sources and dismiss those that do. You're what people call a sheep,just follow the crowd or act big online to gain popularity

You've yet to actually say anything constructive about the topic other than typing basic one liners
(edited 8 years ago)
You refused to read an educative piece of information on the basis that it was published and written by someone with views different to yourself.

"Educative". No.
Original post by generallee
You just want to get into her half Levantine, half Neapolitan knickers.

Nothing against that, and good luck and everything, but have you thought that she wouldn't EVER stop talking?

Even during the dastardly deed? :biggrin:

I have no words for you
I have no words for you

That's never stopped you before!

As the song has it you've got "more rabbit than Sainsburys." :smile:
Original post by generallee
That's never stopped you before!

As the song has it you've got "more rabbit than Sainsburys." :smile:

You appear to be very agitated by my presence on this thread,not that I care
Reply 579
Well, here's a thing. I just got an email from my accountant saying I owe yet ANOTHER $15k in taxes for 2015 on top of the eye-watering sum I've already paid. As much of this money is going to pay for Trudeau's refugees from God knows where and to support Canada's "First Nations" I feel I have a tight to appropriate their culture.

Therefore if I want to dress up as a red injun I damn well will. If in the meantime they want to appropriate my culture (which broadly speaking means thanklessly working 70 hour weeks year after year and handing over most of my money to the government) they're welcome to it. I'll swap places with them. I'll sit around drinking all day and they can do this ****.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending