The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hambi123
My controlled assessment pulls my grade down but as long as my exam is at a grade A then nothing can stop me from getting a grade A 😌 Thankyou. Good choices their. I would love to do maths but it's like so hard as A level and it's better getting 3 amazing As/Bs at A level instead of having 4 Cs. You can do it. Anything is possible if you believe in yourself. We can get that grade B or higher. We will work together 😌 revision buddies ✌🏽️

Posted from TSR Mobile

you'll do really well - it is obvious you want to do well, so I am sure you will put the work in!

Revision buddies :biggrin:
Thankyou 😌 you'll defo do well in your exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is a shame that your controlled assessment went bad because Coursework usually eases the pressure on yourself. I am on AQA for Sciences but if you need help with a topic let me know. I will do my best to help unless my exam board does not cover that topic. Good luck with the revision- you can do it!
Thankyou 😌 you'll defo do well in your exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you - and I am sure you will do too. If you come across a topic you are stuck on, let me know what it is about and I will see what I can do for you :smile:

Have you had chance to look at those links to see if the topics are similar?:smile:
Reply 624
Original post by brainzistheword
Here's a quick typed up version of my timetable as requested @studyhardsophia @RosaA

Let me know if there is anything you don't understand about it - it might seem a bit complicated to some people and it's not the typical layout :biggrin:

Thank you :biggrin:
Thankyou everyone for your help and you guys have really kept me motivated, I really appreciate that. Let me know if any of yous need any help with GCSE maths. I can give you a username and password for Mathswatch if you private message me

I checked out the links and they're amazing. They're so helpful and I've been going through them. So many things are similar but they're just different topics but I can deal with that. In my case all I need to do is memorise everything and this really helped me so Thankyou once again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here's a quick typed up version of my timetable as requested @studyhardsophia @RosaA

Let me know if there is anything you don't understand about it - it might seem a bit complicated to some people and it's not the typical layout :biggrin:

wow! thank you i <3 your time table! how do you revise geo case studies? :smile:
Thankyou everyone for your help and you guys have really kept me motivated, I really appreciate that. Let me know if any of yous need any help with GCSE maths. I can give you a username and password for Mathswatch if you private message me

I checked out the links and they're amazing. They're so helpful and I've been going through them. So many things are similar but they're just different topics but I can deal with that. In my case all I need to do is memorise everything and this really helped me so Thankyou once again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad we could help - and I will certainly be asking you for help before my exams. I'm happy the links are useful - just a shame about the topics but feel free to use them if you like. Let me know if there is anything else you need and I'll see what I can do :smile:
Original post by studyhardsophia
wow! thank you i <3 your time table! how do you revise geo case studies? :smile:

Thanks a lot! :smile:

Geography case studies, now then - there is always so much to remember!!!
I write them out into tables of causes effects and responses or different headings and simplify the facts as much as possible. I also make mind maps with the details and then make flashcards for them in the same way as I do for science (so a question might be how many homes flooded?) or something like that.

Which case studies do you have - and which topics do you do for Geog? :smile:
Wow! Nice! You've planned to do loads - just make sure you can stick to it this time :biggrin: and be prepared for disruptions and such like.

I haven't specifically timetabled any revision for the morning - I'll just see what I feel like doing - good luck with your revision and let me know how you manage to stick to it :smile: I could do with the advice :biggrin:

I actually am sticking to it :smile: and yup same i try to wake up in the morning when i want to wake up :smile: Which is like once :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
I actually am sticking to it :smile: and yup same i try to wake up in the morning when i want to wake up :smile: Which is like once :smile:

That's impressive and haha - I have two alarms but also very little choice but to get up in a morning considering migraines are picky things!! :biggrin:
Hi,

Good luck with your exams! I am also sitting my GCSE's this year. Like you, I would like to achieve As and A*s. I would like to ask a question:
How do you revise for Enlish Language and Literature? English is the only subject that I have a hard time achieving As.

I would also like to ask you:
Is it still possible to get an A or even an A* if you don't have a good grade in coursework.

And if it is possible, can you perhaps give me some tips on revision. Sorry if I'm asking too much.

Thank you.
Good luck with your exams too!
With English language the best way to improve your English is by reading and practicing past papers. With English literature you do the same

It depends. If you get a D in your controlled assessment and an A*/A in your exam it's most likely going to be a grade B overall, if you're lucky it can be an A but it depends on the exam board if it's harsh or not to be fair.

There's many techniques;
- Flash cards
- Writing it down and memorising it
- Mindmap
- Practice papers
- Powerpoints
- Recording yourself and listening back to the recordings you've made
- Make notes and stick it in your room so when you wake up look through it for 10 minutes and before you sleep try and memories it; spend 10 minutes on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 633
Good luck with your exams too!
With English language the best way to improve your English is by reading and practicing past papers. With English literature you do the same

It depends. If you get a D in your controlled assessment and an A*/A in your exam it's most likely going to be a grade B overall, if you're lucky it can be an A but it depends on the exam board if it's harsh or not to be fair.

There's many techniques;
- Flash cards
- Writing it down and memorising it
- Mindmap
- Practice papers
- Powerpoints
- Recording yourself and listening back to the recordings you've made
- Make notes and stick it in your room so when you wake up look through it for 10 minutes and before you sleep try and memories it; spend 10 minutes on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!
My exam board is AQA
Which texts are you studying in English Lit?
(edited 8 years ago)
That's impressive and haha - I have two alarms but also very little choice but to get up in a morning considering migraines are picky things!! :biggrin:

Hahah Thank you or should i say danke shon :smile: I get headaches too :smile: but i shall try
Original post by RosaA
Here is my revision timetable for tomorrow -I'm going to try and stick to it :biggrin:
Let me know if you think I should make any amendments to it!

Sleeping on your french oral notes hahah you make me laugh :smile:
but you have loads to do :smile:
Reply 636
Sleeping on your french oral notes hahah you make me laugh :smile:
but you have loads to do :smile:

Haha, yeah it's weird but it works strangely enough :tongue:
I know, I should be able to manage. It isn't anything too extensive :biggrin:
Original post by sahra30013
Hi,

Good luck with your exams! I am also sitting my GCSE's this year. Like you, I would like to achieve As and A*s. I would like to ask a question:
How do you revise for Enlish Language and Literature? English is the only subject that I have a hard time achieving As.

I would also like to ask you:
Is it still possible to get an A or even an A* if you don't have a good grade in coursework.

And if it is possible, can you perhaps give me some tips on revision. Sorry if I'm asking too much.

Thank you.

Hi there,

Thank you and good luck to you too! Great to hear you want to achieve highly.

For English Lit I highlight quotes in the books and annotate them. Then I make a character profile for each character with pages for Key Quotes, Key Themes, Adjectives and such like.

For Language, I would suggest like @Hambi123 says, doing past papers and getting them marked by a teacher. And try making up your own things to write about like letters - and choose a topic, so you get to practice the layout and tone.

In terms of coursework, it depends on the weighting. If like mine, they are worth 25% then it might be the difference of a grade so it really depends on the weighting and the grade tbh.

For revision tips, the methods I use are: make sure you plan out what you want to do before you start each day, use flashcards whenever you have spare minutes, make revision fun - things like mind maps, sketchnoting and diagrams for the wall are usually quite good. Also, using a whiteboard to write out things over and voer can be a bit of variation. Past papers should be done at every opportunity, or even just a few select questions to help you identify weakness. If motivation is an issue, try the Pomodoro Technique and also varying where you study.

If you need anymore info just let me know :smile:
Hahah Thank you or should i say danke shon :smile: I get headaches too :smile: but i shall try

Haha Ja Danke Schoen!! :smile:

Good luck
Original post by RosaA
Hi!
My exam board is AQA
Which texts are you studying in English Lit?

My exam board is OCR - you're really lucky because your exam board isn't as harsh as the OCR exam board. I did AQA last year and I came out with a grade C without even trying my best. This year i'm doing OCR, I'm resitting English language to get a grade A and its so hard. They're really harsh. The controlled assessment is only 40% and the exam is 60%

In English literature I studied An inspector calls and Of mice and men.
In my English language I studied creative writing only
Right now my new exam board OCR I studied of mice and men which counts as an English language and I did creative writing so it was a mixture as it was really confusing because I didn't know if I was doing literature or language

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest