The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by coconut64
Just wondering, will the exam board take into account of the questions that came up from the year 2001-2005 or is that too old? I heard that the exam board is trying to put some questions that are similar to the those papers this year. Would that be likely?? Thanks.

I wouldn't count on it. You could do those if you like, though. Generally you'll be fine if you cover everything past 2009
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I wouldn't count on it. You could do those if you like, though. Generally you'll be fine if you cover everything past 2009

Is that generally the case though? Because I don't get why some of the questions in the papers between 2001 and 2004 are much harder than the recent one. But thanks anyway.
I haven't even started M1 revision yet. :frown:

I'm hoping to start on March 20th -> April 20th. I hope it shouldn't take too long
as I'm gonna start self teaching S2 at the same time with the same deadline goal in mind. :sigh:
Reply 23
I am a mathematical psychic ...
I feel a very disgusting M1 paper ...
Reply 24
Original post by TeeEm
I am a mathematical psychic ...
I feel a very disgusting M1 paper ...

What was last year's paper like?

I've know C1 was a bit weird, and people say C2 was disgusting but what about M1?
Reply 25
Original post by jamestg
What was last year's paper like?

I've know C1 was a bit weird, and people say C2 was disgusting but what about M1?

it was tame
Reply 26
Original post by TeeEm
it was tame

Nice description :biggrin:
Original post by TeeEm
it was tame

Fairly low boundaries though :wink: The lift question caught loads of people out it seems.
Mate D1 is a disgrace to A Level Maths
Reply 29
Original post by BBeyond
Fairly low boundaries though :wink: The lift question caught loads of people out it seems.

59 for an A is not low
Reply 30
Original post by GeologyMaths
Mate D1 is a disgrace to A Level Maths

Who's talking about D1 lol
Original post by TeeEm
59 for an A is not low

Lower than standard though?
Original post by jamestg
Who's talking about D1 lol

dunno but it shouldnt be a module
Original post by BBeyond

You dont know what youre talking about
Reply 34
Original post by BBeyond

from the expected ones though the 2013 was a 56
Original post by coconut64
Just wondering, will the exam board take into account of the questions that came up from the year 2001-2005 or is that too old? I heard that the exam board is trying to put some questions that are similar to the those papers this year. Would that be likely?? Thanks.

The specification for M1 hasn't changed since 2000 (first exam January 2001). Some of the questions from the early 2000s have come up again in the last few years, so they are definitely worth looking at
Hey guys I was doing this exam question, I got the first parts right but (d) where they say how have you used the string is light I got wrong

Spoiler

I put "Since the string is light its mass is negligible so has no weight force acting down", but the mark scheme says "Tension is the same throughout the string".

But I remember reading that if its a smooth pulley tension is the same and if its inextensible string acceleration is the same. I'm not sure about light string though, I usually get confused with these definition questions any help?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm hoping to start M1 revision in 2 days time. Only have until the end of April to master this module.

Hope I make it in time :puppyeyes:
Reply 38
Original post by GarlicBread01
Hey guys I was doing this exam question, I got the first parts right but (d) where they say how have you used the string is light I got wrong

Spoiler

I put "Since the string is light its mass is negligible so has no weight force acting down", but the mark scheme says "Tension is the same throughout the string".

But I remember reading that if its a smooth pulley tension is the same and if its inextensible string acceleration is the same. I'm not sure about light string though, I usually get confused with these definition questions any help?

A smooth pulley means that the tension is the same on either side of the pulley.

A light string means that tension is uniform throughout the string.

Those are two different things.
Does anyone else find vectors a hard topic, I find the book isn't very helpful for it because to me the questions don't seem like the ones in the exam paper, or am I missing something? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending