The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

2016/17 mature student Lancaster University

Hey everyone!
I'm going to be starting as a mature student (33) at Lancaster University in October and was wondering if there are any other parents doing an undergraduate degree there?
Can anyone offer insight into the family flats offered on campus or if it's better advised to seek accommodation off campus with my two young sons (two and a half and six months).
Does or did any of you send your child to the on campus pre-school, and if so what was/is your experience?
I've never been to Lancaster and we'll only be moving to the UK next month so any information or advice you could offer would be very much appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by PsyMama
Hey everyone!
I'm going to be starting as a mature student (33) at Lancaster University in October and was wondering if there are any other parents doing an undergraduate degree there?
Can anyone offer insight into the family flats offered on campus or if it's better advised to seek accommodation off campus with my two young sons (two and a half and six months).
Does or did any of you send your child to the on campus pre-school, and if so what was/is your experience?
I've never been to Lancaster and we'll only be moving to the UK next month so any information or advice you could offer would be very much appreciated!
I'm moving this across to the Lancaster forum as I think you'll be more likely to get a response there.

Lancaster is a great uni; mostly people live on campus but there is Galgate which a bus ride at the most away. If you have questions about the family accommodation it might be best to contact the residences manager for advice. I believe they are all 'new build' (ie less than about ten years old) on the Alexandra Park area of the campus .
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks Minerva! I've already been in touch with the Uni about accommodation but it seems the flats are very limited and they'll likely only be able to offer us a 2 bedroom. My husband will also be doing an MA at Lancaster as a full time student so we'd definitely like to live on campus, but I'm worried that 2 bedrooms might get pretty cramped. I was therefore hoping to hear from other families who have lived on campus, who could help me decide if it's worth 'sacrificing' a third bedroom to live on campus; does it make life that much easier to be on campus? A half hour bus journey doesn't sound like much now, but I imagine if you have to keep going back and forth that it can become quite tedious whilst juggling everyday family life..
I look forward to reading any experiences you have to share 😊
Reply 3
Original post by PsyMama
Thanks Minerva! I've already been in touch with the Uni about accommodation but it seems the flats are very limited and they'll likely only be able to offer us a 2 bedroom. My husband will also be doing an MA at Lancaster as a full time student so we'd definitely like to live on campus, but I'm worried that 2 bedrooms might get pretty cramped. I was therefore hoping to hear from other families who have lived on campus, who could help me decide if it's worth 'sacrificing' a third bedroom to live on campus; does it make life that much easier to be on campus? A half hour bus journey doesn't sound like much now, but I imagine if you have to keep going back and forth that it can become quite tedious whilst juggling everyday family life..
I look forward to reading any experiences you have to share 😊
I have no experience of living on campus at any uni, never mind Lancaster, but if you have small children it won't be impossible for them to share a room for a few months. Personally, I'd reckon the convenience of not having to rely on public transport to get them to childcare and you to your lectures/library/tutorials would far outweigh the 'discomfort' of being a bit cramped. Getting on buses in summer is one thing; in winter (or the pouring rain, of which there's a lot at Lancaster I'm afraid) it is dreary enough without having two perhaps reluctant children in tow. Just saying :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks! I hadn't even considered the stress of a bus journey on a cold rainy day with both kids in tow 😓 I am definitely leaning towards taking an on campus flat, as I think you're right about convenience outweighing the discomfort 😊
Reply 5
Original post by PsyMama
Thanks! I hadn't even considered the stress of a bus journey on a cold rainy day with both kids in tow 😓 I am definitely leaning towards taking an on campus flat, as I think you're right about convenience outweighing the discomfort 😊
:biggrin: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending