The Student Room Group

Is Geography a good degree?

Is it a good degree, in terms of future employment?
Reply 1
I heard you can become an excellent colouring book tester.
Reply 2
If you're destined to be a geography teacher, absolutely.
I could easily name twenty degrees worse than it.
Original post by Keyhofi
I could easily name twenty degrees worse than it.

I am sure there are more than just 20, just look at London Met's website to see what degrees one could possibly take.:biggrin:
Original post by K-Fox

It is probably on par with most of the humanities, including English, History, Classics etc. None of them are particularly useful, but people still take them and get decent jobs on graduation. In fact, it is probably one of the traditional degrees, therefore making it insanely better than 'degrees' such as criminology, sociology and applied golf management.
Reply 6
Original post by K-Fox

It depends on what career you want to do. And whether you want to do human or physical Geography degree.

I did human and graduated last July and can't find a job, maybe because I won't move to London to do a graduate scheme and suck at interviews.

It can however lead to a variety of different jobs including teaching. environmental work, letting/real estate, retail management, event planning.
Reply 7
Original post by Ems_22
It depends on what career you want to do. And whether you want to do human or physical Geography degree.

I did human and graduated last July and can't find a job, maybe because I won't move to London to do a graduate scheme and suck at interviews.

It can however lead to a variety of different jobs including teaching. environmental work, letting/real estate, retail management, event planning.

I don't know what I want to do
Reply 8
Original post by K-Fox
I don't know what I want to do

Then don't go to uni this year.
Reply 9
if you want to be a weather forcast host
Reply 10
What i'm hearing is that its bad.
Original post by K-Fox
What i'm hearing is that its bad.

Off people apply for it, then it's cantbe bad
Original post by K-Fox

Its a great degree if you get it from a top uni. Very employable, know an ex pupil from my school who did geography at cambridge and is now an investment banker.
Original post by K-Fox

It's not the degree which makes the person employable, its the person. It ticks the 'have a degree box' but you need to offer the rest- gain as much work experience as you can and offer the soft skills employers are looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending