The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Men
I'm currently in my first year at Nottingham, it's great! Any questions you might have feel free to ask (other than specific interview questions obviously) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I bet it's fantastic! I love the feel of the place - I've paid a few visits to the Royal Derby Hospital and its medical school, including last year's open day. That combined with the fact that I'm also a current undergraduate in Biology at UoN anyway means I feel fairly clued up. But I'll ask: first-hand, what's first year like? Is there anything you enjoy in particular about the way you're taught? Thank you, I really hope to be joining you in the year below next year :smile:
Original post by LilithSternin
Dissertation done and bound - that warrants a Grey's Anatomy binge, right?!

Congrats on all your offers. Your UKCAT results are amazing. Any advice?
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Congrats on all your offers. Your UKCAT results are amazing. Any advice?

Thank you very much!

For UKCAT it really really is just practice - Medify is a brilliant resource. I spent a bit of time brushing up on improving my mental maths skills before I started dedicated UKCAT practice too which I think massively helped.

Are you a current applicant, or planning on applying in the future?
Original post by Themightylaa
Can I ask what your weekly timetable is like and do you have (or have time for) a part time job? I have a fiancée who can hopefully move toward Derby with me next year if I'm successful (we're only in Manchester) but would have bills to pay and a wedding to save for 😫 Life has a habit of getting in the way sadly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sure so Monday is basically lecture day. Max will be 5 lectures from what I've experienced but these can be spread over the whole day unfortunately.

Tuesday you have 2.5 hours of PBL and then half the year have 3 hours of clinical skills and the other half are free.

Wednesday is workshop day (2 hours anatomy workshop) and potentially a few lectures.

Thursday is another day of lectures and once a module you will have a GP visit as part of your early clinical experience.

Friday is another 1/2 lectures and a 2 hour PBL session followed by the other half of the year having 3 hours of clinical skills or the afternoon off.

There's not a massive amount of time for part time work as you can probably imagine it's pretty intense with the workload. However there are people in the year with bank HCA jobs that I know of.

Hope that helps! Anything else feel free to ask and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rich_JW95
Ah, I bet it's fantastic! I love the feel of the place - I've paid a few visits to the Royal Derby Hospital and its medical school, including last year's open day. That combined with the fact that I'm also a current undergraduate in Biology at UoN anyway means I feel fairly clued up. But I'll ask: first-hand, what's first year like? Is there anything you enjoy in particular about the way you're taught? Thank you, I really hope to be joining you in the year below next year :smile:

Yeah the hospital is really nice and so is the med school. I'm not going to lie, it's pretty tough first year is. You have a lot to cover and have to blast through it all rather quickly. Doing work at home is a must. There is time to relax and go out etc occasionally though but maybe not as much as you used to in your undergrad.

My favourite part of the course is the way they teach it really. You will cover everything in systems. For example module 2 is respiratory, module 3 is cardiovascular etc etc... You also cover everything at least 3 times during the week through lectures, workshop and PBL.

Any other questions feel free to ask and good luck with everything. If you do start next year you'll share a PBL with some 2nd years and we (as the year above us did) will sort some kind of meal thing for everyone to go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Men
Yeah the hospital is really nice and so is the med school. I'm not going to lie, it's pretty tough first year is. You have a lot to cover and have to blast through it all rather quickly. Doing work at home is a must. There is time to relax and go out etc occasionally though but maybe not as much as you used to in your undergrad.

My favourite part of the course is the way they teach it really. You will cover everything in systems. For example module 2 is respiratory, module 3 is cardiovascular etc etc... You also cover everything at least 3 times during the week through lectures, workshop and PBL.

Any other questions feel free to ask and good luck with everything. If you do start next year you'll share a PBL with some 2nd years and we (as the year above us did) will sort some kind of meal thing for everyone to go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the honesty! I'm definitely not expecting it to be an easy time anyway. But that sounds great - repetition is key to retaining information so that'd be a great help in terms of learning the material! Look forward to it (hopefully). One more question: do most people choose to live in Derby or do some live in Nottingham? I was just wondering in terms of accommodation if I do get in this year - I quite like living in Nottingham at the moment and wouldn't mind using the Hopper bus to get across to Derby.
Original post by Creatingchaos
I know, I just want to know if they would've given me an offer. It's unlikely now but my parents want to know since that's where we're from :smile:

So are you definitely firming Kings?
Original post by xertyl
So are you definitely firming Kings?

Yes I will be. I've realised that regardless of when I withdraw from other places, any offer I receive will still go to another person if there is space, so realistically it won't negatively impact people too much.
oh fair enough, was just a tad curious as I'm still waiting on them, congrats on the offer
Original post by Creatingchaos
Yes I will be. I've realised that regardless of when I withdraw from other places, any offer I receive will still go to another person if there is space, so realistically it won't negatively impact people too much.
Quick question - I've come across a few sites that mention GEM is being phased out soon; is anyone aware if this is true? I'm hoping to apply in a couple of years.
Original post by LilithSternin
Thank you very much!

For UKCAT it really really is just practice - Medify is a brilliant resource. I spent a bit of time brushing up on improving my mental maths skills before I started dedicated UKCAT practice too which I think massively helped.

Are you a current applicant, or planning on applying in the future?

I tried for this entry but my score was low so have to try again this year.

I used Medify which was brilliant, but I think I overworked and I was so tired and nervous on the exam I didn't do great.

I will work on my mental maths before I do practice. What other resources did you use and did you feel like you were improving? How did you tackle verbal reasoning? I so appreciate it.
Original post by DannyYYYY
Quick question - I've come across a few sites that mention GEM is being phased out soon; is anyone aware if this is true? I'm hoping to apply in a couple of years.

No one knows. It's just a passing thought based on the moves this government has made, along with general trends relating to EU regulations and the GMC. There's talk about whether the FY1 year can be used to make up the difference to a 5 year undergraduate degree or not. Currently GEM courses use that year to make it up -- the going talk is that this may not be sufficient and if so, GEM courses may have to go up to 5 years.

The question then is whether funding will be granted for a fifth year. Currently it's uncertain enough that 4 years of funding will be continued.

It's difficult to call. My personal suspicion is that it will remain, at least for a few more years. Could be entirely wrong though!
Original post by DannyYYYY

At the moment it is all supposition. Based on potentially changing the rules so FY1 docs would be fully registered. But at the moment there are no actually plans and some opposition to that idea. So watch this space.

The Scottish First Minister mentioned to the Guardian about Scotland creating and funding new GEM courses.
Original post by MJK91
There's talk about whether the FY1 year can be used to make up the difference to a 5 year undergraduate degree or not.

There is also talk that there will be a nationwide registration exam at the point of graduation and therefore FY1 etc will be restructured.
Original post by returnmigrant
There is also talk that there will be a nationwide registration exam at the point of graduation and therefore FY1 etc will be restructured.

Never happy. The shape of training review also wants to shorten the pathway to consultant again.

Kinda, agree with national exam. Make sure everyone is on the same level. Might be difficult though as some universities are anatomy heavy, others really not so much. Some courses might have to change priorities if we get a national exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
I tried for this entry but my score was low so have to try again this year.

I used Medify which was brilliant, but I think I overworked and I was so tired and nervous on the exam I didn't do great.

I will work on my mental maths before I do practice. What other resources did you use and did you feel like you were improving? How did you tackle verbal reasoning? I so appreciate it.

I totally agree that overworking is a thing. UKCAT is such a tightly timed test that if you're not functioning at 100% level then it can be super tough. I mostly used Medify and did the practice tests on the UKCAT website, I did have the 600 Questions book which I did a bit of practice out of, and whilst it was useful just to have some extra questions to practice it wasn't as good as Medify in my opinion. I think some people on here used a Kaplan book, but I didn't use that personally. Practicing with the time limits was a big thing for me too.

I have to be honest, VR was the one section I was reasonably confident with from the beginning, I was always pretty good at comprehension type stuff and I'm a freakishly fast reader which helped. I just did loads of practice on it like the other sections, but I don't have any specific advice I'm afraid. I think there's definitely an element of luck in the UKCAT, I hadn't been scoring anywhere near as well on practices as I did in the real thing for QR and I think I was just really lucky that day to get questions that I could work through quickly and logically.
Original post by returnmigrant

I thought this was definitely happening? Graduates in 2020 will be trialling it I think, then if all is well it'll be phased in the year after?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniB22
I thought this was definitely happening? Graduates in 2020 will be trialling it I think, then if all is well it'll be phased in the year after?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you're right, I read that they'll be trialling it with international graduates (to replace PLAB) in 2019 and with home students graduating in 2021 but this may have changed.

I can't remember where I read it but I found this: http://student.bmj.com/student/view-article.html?id=sbmj.h4208
(edited 8 years ago)
A lot can change between now and then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A registration exam isn't necessarily a barrier to GEM courses though, may just mean a later start for FY1 to allow all schools to sit the exam at different points?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending