The Student Room Group

product rule or chain rule how do you decide?

Hi please some one help me with the attached differentiation problem?

I get a bit confused in recognizing if it is a chain rule or product rule

I am aware if it is a chain rule then it has to be a function of a function

Thanks Zamzam
Reply 1
Original post by zamzam
Hi please some one help me with the attached differentiation problem?

I get a bit confused in recognizing if it is a chain rule or product rule

I am aware if it is a chain rule then it has to be a function of a function

Thanks Zamzam

definitely a product rule
each term has a mini chain which most people can do on the spot.
Reply 2
If it is a product of two functions, say x2ex x^2 e^x you would use the product rule.
If it is a function of a function, say sin(ex3) \sin (e^{x^3}) , you would use chain rule.
(edited 8 years ago)
Product rule is when its a function times a function. Chain is when there is a function in a function that you can't do normally.

This would be a product rule, as e^(x/2) x sin(3x)

Is effectively that function, as you can see it is two functions multiplied by each other to form a product.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Product rule is when its a function times a function. Chain is when there is a function in a function that you can't do normally.

This would be a product rule, as e^(x/2) x sin(3x)

Is effectively that function, as you can see it is two functions multiplied by each other to form a product.

Surely it's chain rule to differentiate e^(x/2), chain rule to differentiate sin(3x) and then use those values in the product rule. Or am I missing something?
Original post by RayApparently
Surely it's chain rule to differentiate e^(x/2), chain rule to differentiate sin(3x) and then use those values in the product rule. Or am I missing something?

I think most of the time, those are seen as standard differentials. Like you can use chain rule but I think most people know what it is without the method?
Original post by Dinasaurus
I think most of the time, those are seen as standard differentials. Like you can use chain rule but I think most people know what it is without the method?

Oh yeah I guess so lol
Reply 7
sadly I have been expelled ....

Quick Reply

Latest