The Student Room Group

Blood Tests

I can't stand blood tests. Last time I had a blood test, it was while being strapped down and restrained by government employees as an expat when it was a mandatory requirement to be tested for HIV and TB (both are illegal to have, and are tested regularly on all residents).

But it's not the needle thing, or the taking blood thing that really gets me, it's the "intimacy" of my inner arm. It's hard to explain, but it's so "inner" and sensitive and just.... not meant to have holes stuck in it!

I'm fine with being jabbed in the upper arm for vaccinations and stuff, don't mind if someone were to put an IV line in on the back of my hand, it's just the bit inside my elbow just seems so..... well. Yeah, can't explain it. I can't stand it, and as soon as I feel the needle POP through, I throw up, pass out, or both.

I'm fine with blood and injuries, I've seen and treated some pretty messed up stuff in emergencies, it's just that inner-arm-puncture that just screws me up.

Luckily back home here in the UK, you can't be forced into medical tests if you don't want to be, but there have been a few times where I've refused blood tests when they could have led to serious diagnoses. Now, I'm at a point where I've been putting off a potentially "life-threatening" yes-or-no diagnosis for nearly 6 months because it requires a blood test.

In hospital, they often put an IV line in the back of your hand, and take blood samples from there.

At the surgery, why can't they take their blood sample from the back of my hand? Why do they insist of taking it from the inside of my arm? I mean, sure, it might take a bit longer because the blood flow might not be as strong, but surely it's not impossible?
(edited 8 years ago)
Can't you just ask them to take it from your hand, I've had it taken from both my hand and arm. Usually I just ask them to take blood from my left arm and they do it.
Reply 2
Original post by NotNotBatman
Can't you just ask them to take it from your hand, I've had it taken from both my hand and arm. Usually I just ask them to take blood from my left arm and they do it.

Nope, they've always said they only take it from my left arm. I've pushed, and they've refused, so I end up going home a bit shaky and not having had any tests done.
Reply 3
I am not sure I follow all this.
It sounds very surreal.
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
I am not sure I follow all this.
It sounds very surreal.

Well, tell me where you're following up to, and I'll take you from there :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by XMaramena
I can't stand blood tests. Last time I had a blood test, it was while being strapped down and restrained by government employees as an expat when it was a mandatory requirement to be tested for HIV and TB (both are illegal to have, and are tested regularly on all residents).

But it's not the needle thing, or the taking blood thing that really gets me, it's the "intimacy" of my inner arm. It's hard to explain, but it's so "inner" and sensitive and just.... not meant to have holes stuck in it!

I'm fine with being jabbed in the upper arm for vaccinations and stuff, don't mind if someone were to put an IV line in on the back of my hand, it's just the bit inside my elbow just seems so..... well. Yeah, can't explain it. I can't stand it, and as soon as I feel the needle POP through, I throw up, pass out, or both.

I'm fine with blood and injuries, I've seen and treated some pretty messed up stuff in emergencies, it's just that inner-arm-puncture that just screws me up.

Luckily back home here in the UK, you can't be forced into medical tests if you don't want to be, but there have been a few times where I've refused blood tests when they could have led to serious diagnoses. Now, I'm at a point where I've been putting off a potentially "life-threatening" yes-or-no diagnosis for nearly 6 months because it requires a blood test.

In hospital, they often put an IV line in the back of your hand, and take blood samples from there.

At the surgery, why can't they take their blood sample from the back of my hand? Why do they insist of taking it from the inside of my arm? I mean, sure, it might take a bit longer because the blood flow might not be as strong, but surely it's not impossible?

Sorry to hear about your past experience. I can see why you'd have some issues with blood tests.

I know it might not be too helpful right now, but I used to have problems with blood tests and throw up after each one. Sucked cos I neeeded loads and even had to have one done over an hour with stuff in my arm the whole time. I'm not so bad with them now and can sometimes get through with hardly any suffering.
I think you will probably find it the same if you can take the first step.

I thought of it as a short period of suffering for vital information that could help me feel better in the long run. It helps when I have somebody there to distract me too.

Try phoning the local hospital and seeing if they could do blood tests for you and use your hand. If not then try to be brave, ask somebody to go with you and go for it. It will suck, but try to remember that it's for a good reason and focus on something else the whole time.

I guess if it's a really big issue for you you could try some therapy or something to get over the "personal place" aspect.

Hope you manage to get it done.

Quick Reply

Latest