The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get in ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Palette
https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test

Scroll down for average scores of shortlisted and successful applicants though this includes people taking MAT applying for Maths.

the test is out of 75 ?
Original post by Plagioclase
Well yeah there are lots of good opportunities, it's a great uni. Look at the link Palette gave regarding percentages.

Motivated more than ever for my a-levels now
in 2 months i can hit A's
Original post by looktoyourright
Motivated more than ever for my a-levels now
in 2 months i can hit A's

Okay good luck :smile:
the test is out of 75 ?

It's out of 100 as far as I know.
It's out of 100 as far as I know.

You sure ? you're only supposed to answer 5 questions ? Doesnt seem that bad :smile:.
If i have to hit 60 then not that bad . But considering that everyone scored 40 average then it does sound like it is very hard . Need to get my PS on point .
You sure ? you're only supposed to answer 5 questions ? Doesnt seem that bad :smile:.

It's not as bad as STEP but you should probably do some past papers before saying "Doesn't seem that bad". This is not like an A Level exam.
If i have to hit 60 then not that bad . But considering that everyone scored 40 average then it does sound like it is very hard . Need to get my PS on point .

In addition to the four longer questions there are also numerous multiple choice questions (4marks each) that are all grouped together as Question 1. I have an older sibling who applied for joint maths&computer science- the MAT let her down so she didn't get interviewed but she got a place at another top uni.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Palette
In addition to the four longer questions there are also numerous multiple choice questions (4marks each) that are all grouped together as Question 1. I have an older sibling who applied for joint maths&computer science- the MAT let her down so she didn't get interviewed but she got a place at another top uni.

Sounds great - Any top uni would be a dream come true. Just need to hit my A-levels
It's not as bad as STEP but you should probably do some past papers before saying "Doesn't seem that bad". This is not like an A Level exam.

IS it like in A-level where all the questions are "similar" or all of them a different and there is no pattern ?
IS it like in A-level where all the questions are "similar" or all of them a different and there is no pattern ?

It's not like A Level at all, please look at the past papers.
It's not like A Level at all, please look at the past papers.

are there mark schemes to it ?
are there mark schemes to it ?

Yes, please look at the link Palette gave you.
Sounds great - Any top uni would be a dream come true. Just need to hit my A-levels

I admire your dedication, particularly at a time when I'm having to resort to desperate measures to try to secure 4 As in Year 12. I decided to not take STEP this year to ease my burden. Have you looked at any of the joint computer science degrees (with maths/philosophy)?
Yes, please look at the link Palette gave you.

I'm checking everything out but my top priority are a-levels. I will go over some past papers and go to some public lectures over the summer hope that helps.
Honestly motivated more than ever for my a - levels
Thanks a lot for your help :smile:
Original post by Palette
I admire your dedication, particularly at a time when I'm having to resort to desperate measures to try to secure 4 As in Year 12. I decided to not take STEP this year to ease my burden. Have you looked at any of the joint computer science degrees (with maths/philosophy)?

My dedication ? haha. I had a terrible few days after my mocks. A's looking impossible but the most important thing is to have a good plan.. Honestly I feel so much better after setting out my plan as it seems realistic. Now I was doing so okish revision but from tomorrow hehe. I'm doing constant past papers. To be honest I'm only considering Computer Science as an option. I was thinking other unis like Manchester Durham and Warwick :smile:
Now doing A-lvls. Aiming for AAAA (Maths Ft, maths ,physics) in my a level for AS. Hoping for A*AA predicted grades. I want to apply for computer science - how hard is it to get in and what can i do over the summer to improve my chances.

If you get AAAA and get decent UMS you will get into every course bar maybe places like Cambridge and Imperial (where you will need more than that).
Reply 36
Original post by Louisb19
If you get AAAA and get decent UMS you will get into every course bar maybe places like Cambridge and Imperial (where you will need more than that).

And Oxford

Hence why OP asked the question in the Oxford forum... :wink:
Original post by jneill
And Oxford

Hence why OP asked the question in the Oxford forum... :wink:

Haha my bad, I came here from trending.

Getting good GCSEs is key for Oxford!
Reply 38
Original post by Louisb19
Haha my bad, I came here from trending.

Getting good GCSEs is key for Oxford!

GCSEs aren't particularly important for computer science at Oxford - rather MAT and interview performance are largely what offers are based on,
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RichE
GCSEs aren't particularly important for computer science at Oxford - rather MAT and interview performance are largely what offers are based on,

Well I think Oxford will be easier to get in due to lower grade requirements and also because the mats sound 'easier' than steps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending