The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Would that be appropriate? If I did it the SJW wowsers might try to insist I propitiate them and stay away from the fancy dress party. I might then use inappropriate language.

We shall make a safe space readily available for him if he requires it
Original post by queen-bee
I don't think modern day greek and Macedonians do such a thing and I am an only child

Cleopatra was not a modern-day Macedonian-Greek-Egyptian. Have you studied history? Her cultural practices differed wildly from those practised in the same region today. It follows that you are not of her culture, even if you claim to be similar to modern Greeks is true.
Cleopatra was not a modern-day Macedonian-Greek-Egyptian. Have you studied history? Her cultural practices differed wildly from those practised in the same region today. It follows that you are not of her culture, even if you claim to be similar to modern Greeks is true.

I know that but You can't expect cultures to remain the same,they are bound to change over time. I wasn't born in her era but I follow that of the modern Mediterranean culture
Because I'm a minority living within British culture and I must be able to speak English for me to get by,get a good job or education. There is no need for you to be appropriating Levantine/Italian culture now is there?

So if I move to Syria I would be able to dress as they do, and eat the same food, because I would be a minority living within their culture?

It follows, then, that the only thing making my use of Levantine culture unacceptable is my location. Don't you find that odd?

Presumably, when you move back to Italy, you would feel free to carry on watching British and American TV programmes, while there. Yet your location and status as no longer being in a minority will mean this is unacceptable. How do you feel about that?

Are you happy with the logic of this?
I know that but You can't expect cultures to remain the same,they are bound to change over time. I wasn't born in her era but I follow that of the modern Mediterranean culture

OK, so you are not of her culture, like me. Yet you are allowed to appropriate her culture and I am not. Neither of us live where she lives, neither of us has ever lived where she lived (rather than for holidays), yet you can dress up as her, and I can't appropriate her culture at all.
So if I move to Syria I would be able to dress as they do, and eat the same food, because I would be a minority living within their culture?

It follows, then, that the only thing making my use of Levantine culture unacceptable is my location. Don't you find that odd?

Presumably, when you move back to Italy, you would feel free to carry on watching British and American TV programmes, while there. Yet your location and status as no longer being in a minority will mean this is unacceptable. How do you feel about that?

Are you happy with the logic of this?

If it's what is needed for you to get by within that country then sure,like learning the Arabic language not necessarily having to wear our traditional clothing because you don't have to

Not really m,no

I rarely watch British shows living within the UK,what makes you think I'll watch them once I'm in Italy. I usually prefer Arabic shows,soaps

Yes I'm happy :smile:
Original post by DMcGovern
As much as I enjoy your casual racism towards little bogmen like me, you've proved my point about people like me being marginalised.

I'm still waiting for your reply on how I was racist.
OK, so you are not of her culture, like me. Yet you are allowed to appropriate her culture and I am not. Neither of us live where she lives, neither of us has ever lived where she lived (rather than for holidays), yet you can dress up as her, and I can't appropriate her culture at all.

Yes because neither you or your parents or ancestors are from that region. I've been to the levant that's my heritage which is the closest thing to what Macedonian Greek heritage

I rarely watch British shows living within the UK,what makes you think I'll watch them once I'm in Italy. I usually prefer Arabic shows,soaps

So you do appropriate British culture then, even if only occasionally. Is doing it occasionally OK, because I don't go to many fancy dress parties - that is very occasional, and using your example, seems fine.

But you do appropriate Arabic culture, and we have already established that you are not Arabic and have never lived in an Arab country.
But it's an Italian dish? And also why do you feel the need to bet on horses in Italy when you have the same thing here within the UK? Ascot?

The pizza was not an original concept, in fact to took ideas from the nations around them, such as the Greeks and Persians.

If you can't tell the difference between the Palio and Ascot then you need to get your eyes checked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes because neither you or your parents or ancestors are from that region. I've been to the levant that's my heritage which is the closest thing to what Macedonian Greek heritage

But you come from neither Macedon not Greece, nor even Egypt. None of these countries, anyway, have anything like the culture that Cleopatra lived in so that is a specious reason for appropriating her long-dead culture. This seems hypocritical to me, that you don't allow me to appropriate your culture but you are happy to steal a dead person's.
Original post by DiddyDec
The pizza was not an original concept, in fact to took ideas from the nations around them, such as the Greeks and Persians.

If you can't tell the difference between the Palio and Ascot then you need to get your eyes checked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But people associate pizza with Italy,not Greece

There's a huge between palio di siena and what you guys have in the UK,but I don't see why you have to feel the need to appropriate Italian culture when you could bet on something like horse racing within the UK or football
(edited 8 years ago)
But you come from neither Macedon not Greece, nor even Egypt. None of these countries, anyway, have anything like the culture that Cleopatra lived in so that is a specious reason for appropriating her long-dead culture. This seems hypocritical to me, that you don't allow me to appropriate your culture but you are happy to steal a dead person's.

I come from the medittaranean. Do you know what's really interesting. The Arabs and medittaraneans eat similar foods,I guess cultures do tend to overlap.

Why do you want to appropriate Levantine culture so bad?

There's a huge between palio di siena and what you guys have in the UK,but I don't see why you have to feel the need to appropriate Italian culture when you could bet on something like horse racing within the UK or football

Football. A British cultural artifact, codified by the British and wrongfully appropriated by Italians, Levantines, Greeks, Macedonians and Arabs. Can this be right?
I come from the medittaranean. Do you know what's really interesting. The Arabs and medittaraneans eat similar foods,I guess cultures do tend to overlap.

Why do you want to appropriate Levantine culture so bad?

They have been in one another's houses, stealing food, clothes and children for centuries, haven't they?

I'm not going to stop eating olives.

Pizza is also associated with Chicago and New York.

So watching a sport is appropriating it?

Do you think before you type?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Pizza is also associated with Chicago and New York.

So watching a sport is appropriating?

Do you think before you type?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah,the first thing that comes to mind is italy!

Watching isn't but taking part is :wink: and betting on it perhaps...who knows where cultural appropriation will end
They have been in one another's houses, stealing food, clothes and children for centuries, haven't they?

I'm not going to stop eating olives.

That's culturally appropriating said cultures.

I don't get it, I've realised nobody seems to be talking about the own cultures on here but rather the need to appropriate other cultures because they're not content with their own. Baffles me tbh

So watching a sport is appropriating?

We have not yet understood the full nonsense of the concept.

We locals cannot eat foreign food, wear foreign clothes, parody foreigners or take on any minority cultural practice. Yet they can do all of those things in our culture. There is not thought for how the minority cooks, designers and comedians will earn their living in Britain, if they are not to encourage cultural appropriation.

Yet we can go abroad and live as a minority and we then magically are allowed to do those things.

British minorities can even go back to the point of their origin and still appropriate British culture, when they are not part of a minority, so by the same token, we must be able to return here and do the same.

Nobody of sense (if there is one) in the SJW movement has actually sat down and thought about how ridiculous the whole thing is.

I shall enjoy mocking it whenever it arises.
the need to appropriate other cultures because they're not content with their own. Baffles me tbh

You tell me. You are about to embark on a systematic pillaging of the intellectual property of western medicine. Why are you not content to stick with Middle Eastern beliefs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending