Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2016!

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Lalala97;63389181"]
Original post by hannahrob97
Hi, I'm currently torn between firming Newcastle and Durham for English lit. I'm from Newcastle myself and know the area well and it's a great, friendly and safe city with a great uni, but Durham is slightly more academic I think and offers a collegiate system
which may appeal more to you. Both universities have their good points but I'm not making a firm decision until I've been to both post offer days :smile:

Thanks a lot for your response. Do you know anything about Newcastle's atmosphere? As I am an European student, and I'll be quite away from home, I am a little bit concerned that everyone would be spread around the city and I would't get that community feeling as I'd probably get at Lancaster (though that's only an assumption)Also, Lancaster is the 9th in rankings, while Newcastle is 26th, somehow Newcastle seems to be more regarded, any idea why?

I'm sorry I don't know much about Lancaster but I wouldn't be too worried about Newcastle accommodation! It's true that it may be spread across the city a bit but the Newcastle metro system is a very easy form of transport so that you'll never be too far away from your lectures. Besides in whatever halls you're put into you will be part of a community that will be very welcoming. This is stuff that everybody worries about including me even though I'm from the city. Also about league tables, they really do vary with different tables taking separate things in to account when creating a ranking. Both Lancaster and Newcastle are fab unis and you should really choose one based on what you would really like to go to, not on where they are in the league tables :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by scratchedpaw
Newcastle Uni isn't that spread out over the city actually, it has its own little part of the city. The acommodation may be a little more spread out (again I don't know Lancaster) but it just depends where abouts you live and you'll always be with other students because they
offer students accomodation in blocks
together, and they're in the process of building even more. One of the blocks is renowned for being party central.
Newcastle has a good social
atmosphere and a lot of societies within the
university.

Newcastle is Russell group which
means it's a top 24 UK research

university, and you can't trust league tables that much. I can guarantee that the positions will vary a lot depending on which publication
you're using to

compare them. Business is also not a
traditional course and so the RG Unis don't necessarily have an upper hand because
they won't have been running the course any
longer than other Unis. The RG Unis tend to be older and
therefore have more established courses, but that only really stands for traditional subjects such as maths, history etc.

Both Unis will both be in friendly areas because Northerners are known for being
very warm and welcoming.

Thanks, this has been actually very helpful. I see that your uni choices are the same as mine. In which college have you been allocated to at Durham? As you are from Newcastle, do you plan to live at home? Do you have any suggestion for accomodation in Newcastle? (I really want to live in halls in the first year)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hannahrob97
Hi, I'm currently torn between firming Newcastle and Durham for English lit. I'm from Newcastle myself and know the area well and it's a great, friendly and safe city with a great uni, but Durham is slightly more academic I think and offers a collegiate system which may appeal more to you. Both universities have their good points but I'm not making a firm decision until I've been to both post offer days :smile:

In which college have you been allocated to at Durham?
As you are from Newcastle, do you plan to live at home? I would very much appreciate some accomodation suggestions for Newcastle (I really want to live at home in my first year)
Original post by Lalala97
Thanks, this has been actually very helpful. I see that your uni choices are the same as mine. In which college have you been allocated to at Durham? As you are from Newcastle, do you plan to live at home? Do you have any suggestion for accomodation in Newcastle? (I really want to live in halls in the first year)

I've been allocated Hatfield, I haven't looked at accomodation at Newcastle because it is my insurance and my mum wants me to live at home if I do go there. You can apply for accomodation at Newcastle and state your preferences apparently, with the more expensive options including rooms with baths. You apply to the accommodations you want to go to and then they pull names out of hats to decide who gets into their preferred accomodation. The Unis site should explain it better because this is just what I know from knowing people who want to move out to Newcastle. Or you could have a look at an accomodation thread in the Newcastle forum.
Hi, I have an offer for Biosciences (MBiol) and I've been allocated to St Chad's! I'm trying to decide between Durham, Bristol or possibly St Andrews for my firm choice and I'm finding it really difficult so far! Anyone else got an offer for Biosciences or trying to decide between any of these universities?
Original post by Sapphire321
Hi, I have an offer for Biosciences (MBiol) and I've been allocated to St Chad's! I'm trying to decide between Durham, Bristol or possibly St Andrews for my firm choice and I'm finding it really difficult so far! Anyone else got an offer for Biosciences or trying to decide between any of these universities?

I have one as well, but I've been allocated Collingwood! I'm most probably going to firm Durham. Are you going to the open days next week? ☺️
Reply 826
is anyone else still waiting to hear for maths? ;P
Heyy guys! I have an offer for sociology and I have been allocated to the castle, which is my first choice. So excited!! Gonna go to the open day later~~
If anyone has an offer for English and wants to be added to the facebook group chat, please message me
Anybody doing Geography BA at Josephine Butler? ☺️
Original post by amy61yyy
Heyy guys! I have an offer for sociology and I have been allocated to the castle, which is my first choice. So excited!! Gonna go to the open day later~~

I've been allocated to the Castle as well, but for Combined Honours. Unfortunately I can't attend the open day :frown: Any chance to share your opinion after you visit there? :smile:
If anyone has an offer for History and wants to be added to the facebook group chat, please message me

(if anyone is confused by the earlier post with English I am doing joint English and History)
Original post by Sapphire321

Hey I have an offer at St.Johns for Biosciences :smile: trying to choose between Durham Warwick and York but Durham will probably be my firm! You going to the offer day Tuesday?
Hello !!
My names Emily I just received my offer today and i'm over the moon , Durham was my first choice:smile: I'm from US I live outside of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania. Is anyone else from the US?

Subject: Biological Sciences
Offer: Conditional , I'm from the US so I need to wait for AP results.
College applied to: Aiden or Grey I can't remember
I am doing education studies with .english
I actually applied for it because it sounds great. Anyone else out there doing it as a first choice and not a referral?
Reply 835
Original post by emilyhaganx
Hello !!
My names Emily I just received my offer today and i'm over the moon , Durham was my first choice:smile: I'm from US I live outside of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania. Is anyone else from the US?

Subject: Biological Sciences
Offer: Conditional , I'm from the US so I need to wait for AP results.
College applied to: Aiden or Grey I can't remember

Hi Emily, Congratulations.
Perhaps you can answer a question, there is a theory circulating that Durham offers/rejections occur at 4.45 pm each day , what time did you hear?
Original post by ripley614
Got an offer for Law. (Surprising, given my LNAT score)

Conditions: SATs at 700, 700, 700 (U.S.)
College: Collingwood

Going to the post offer visit day on 22 March!

Exciting! What time are you going to the talk? I'm attending the morning one, I'll listen out
For an American accent!
Course: Criminology
offer: AB ( got A in Russian already luckily, so just 2 more grades wanted)
hatfield cuz why not :biggrin:
Original post by swissy9
Hi Emily, Congratulations.
Perhaps you can answer a question, there is a theory circulating that Durham offers/rejections occur at 4.45 pm each day , what time did you hear?

I got the UCAS notification at 10:28am USA time which is 4:28 in the afternoon the Uk, so its close !
Interesting theory. It may be right. I got my offer at exactly 4:45 pm :biggrin:
Anyway, I am from Eastern Europe and 4:45 here is 2:45 in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending