The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Aston University OR University of Birmingham for Law????????

Which university is better for Law?

I have visited both universities and to be honest I'm quite confused.

I prefer the atmosphere at Aston as it's a smaller campus and the lecturers seem more engaging. The seminars seem like they would be more interactive as there is a smaller cohort of students.

UOB on the other hand is a very prestigious university and is highly reputable for Law. However I don't like the atmsopshere at the university as much and the lecturers don't seems as engaging from what Iv'e seen so far.Any feedback would be much appreciated
Original post by Studybuddy5721
Which university is better for Law?

I have visited both universities and to be honest I'm quite confused.

I prefer the atmosphere at Aston as it's a smaller campus and the lecturers seem more engaging. The seminars seem like they would be more interactive as there is a smaller cohort of students.

UOB on the other hand is a very prestigious university and is highly reputable for Law. However I don't like the atmsopshere at the university as much and the lecturers don't seems as engaging from what Iv'e seen so far.Any feedback would be much appreciated

Hi,

Thanks for considering us. Rather than throwing rankings and marketing stats at you, i was wondering if you had any specific questions about Aston or student life in Birmingham in general?

I graduated in 2014 and have been local to Birmingham all my life, so i should be able to answer most things you can throw at me.

Josh
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

Thanks for considering us. Rather than throwing rankings and marketing stats at you, i was wondering if you had any specific questions about Aston or student life in Birmingham in general?

I graduated in 2014 and have been local to Birmingham all my life, so i should be able to answer most things you can throw at me.

Josh

Hi,

I also live local to Birmingham , so I am pretty familiar with the area i.e leisure and shopping.

In terms of the university in general,
What do you think makes Aston stand out compared to other universities?

Also what are the job prospects like for my degree in particular?
How was you experience at the university?
What did you like/dislike about your course and was it managed well?
Is the university doing well in regards to Law ?

Thanks for your help!
Original post by Studybuddy5721
Hi, ... Thanks for your help!

What do you think makes Aston stand out compared to other universities?

I think two main things set Aston apart from other universities, firstly it's drive towards Business and Employment, all of the courses are geared towards working in industry and the placement year tops it all off, giving you some real world experience and if you play your cards right a job to go straight into after graduation. The second thing for me is the small close knit feel of a university with only 9000 students, it gave me a chance to mix with students outside my course and to make wider friendship groups with different interests.

Also what are the job prospects like for my degree in particular?

Our law degree is relatively new, so we don't have any of the robust DHLE available at a course level at the moment, but what i can tell you is as a whole the university is ranked in the top 10 for the proportion of graduates achieving professional jobs from wider DHLE data. The underlying ethos of Aston is to create employable graduates.

How was you experience at the university?

I loved my time here, so much i decided to work here. I established some amazing friendships and thoroughly enjoyed my degree. My career path has changed a little, doing my undergraduate in Psychology and now working in marketing, but i honestly feel the overall ethos of the university taught me a lot when it came to the world of work, even if the content of my degree wasn't directly relatable.

What did you like/dislike about your course and was it managed well?

I loved my course, even if i decided Psychology was not the career for me. The lecturers seemed engaged and enthused, the timetable was flexible and a number of the assignments were very open ended so you could write about your interests and passions, rather than any of your assignments feeling like a slog.

Is the university doing well in regards to Law ?

Like i mentioned before, the course is still relatively new but from the data we have so far:

- 92% of students are satisfied with the course.
- 100% of students feel they have received sufficient support from their lecturers.
- 90% of students go onto further work or study.

Hope that helps.

Anything else just give me a shout mate. :smile:

Josh
Personally i think Uob is a good option as a student there, at first it may be uncomfortable due to how big the university is. I was uncomfortable at first but it's an amazing university, i get a lot of help and the lecturers are so nice. The campus is beautiful, i live local so the buses are regular. I think you should think carefully about the choice you will be making!

Quick Reply

Latest