The Student Room Group

titles to help me get an appreciation and enter the industry

hello!

can you tell me please up to 1-2 year courses that would be good to have to give me an idea of the industry and help me enter it? for legal

Not in Masters level, but below

please list some

thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studos
hello!

can you tell me please up to 1-2 year courses that would be good to have to give me an idea of the industry and help me enter it? for legal

Not in Masters level, but below

please list some

thanks!

Looking at your posts you seem to be in a frenzy without any clue about what you want to do.

I would suggest having a sit down, a think and doing a lot of research into what career you want.

getting in IB or law is incredibly competitive and you WILL need to have knowledge and work experience in the sectors.
Reply 2
Your opinion is not asked.
I am asking for something specific in this thread.
Is there a legal certification to give me an appreciation about law?
Reply 3
Original post by studos
Your opinion is not asked.
I am asking for something specific in this thread.
Is there a legal certification to give me an appreciation about law?

Lol i see you on the IB forum, on the law forum, and on threads where you ask what career has the best prospects. Firstly, do some research. Learn about what law involves and how to become a lawyer. Then learn about the other careers that you're considering. Then, search on google for law certifications (why do you want to spend a year appreciating law when you could do some research and then study a law course?) or law insight days.

Please stop making so many threads about careers that you seem to know little to nothing about. Just use google to find information about the careers and learn what roles there are in law and in any other career that you might want to pursue.

Btw, what do even mean by legal certification to 'appreciate law'? If you want a certificate to practise law, go to university and study a law degree or do a GDL after a degree. If you want an insight into law then go on the student ladder and look at the sixth form law work experience section.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
As above, you seem to be approaching a career for all the wrong reasons (money, prestige etc.).

You will not obtain a TC at a big firm, particularly not so in London.

End of.

You'd be better off putting £100 on Wales to win the Euros. Winning the bet. Putting the winnings on Wales to win the World Cup in 2018. Winning the bet. Buying a mortgage free house and then continuing to work in your current job.
Original post by Jasy
As above, you seem to be approaching a career for all the wrong reasons (money, prestige etc.).

You will not obtain a TC at a big firm, particularly not so in London.

End of.

You'd be better off putting £100 on Wales to win the Euros. Winning the bet. Putting the winnings on Wales to win the World Cup in 2018. Winning the bet. Buying a mortgage free house and then continuing to work in your current job.

I'm sorry OP but based on your other threads/posts, I have to agree with this dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
did anyone ask your opinion?
if you can't contribute to my thread don't reply, I never asked your silly opinion
I am only looking for what the thread asks
Reply 7
Original post by studos
if you can't contribute to my thread don't reply, I never asked your silly opinion

Ok I'll answer your question. There are no courses that are one or two years in length that will give you an 'appreciation' of the industry. You can do insight days and stuff like that to get an 'appreciation' of the industry. In one year, you could do a GDL course which prepares non-law graduates for a career in law.
To get a better appreciation of what law involves and what people are best suited for a career in law, search google for lawyer career and read up about the profession.
Original post by studos

We had this before. It might be because of your English but you come across as unneccessarily rude, which puts people off wanting to help you.

There isnt a 1 year law appreciation course. People simply study law . A bit of research will help you appreciate the path everyone else follows.

You could do courses which might complement your core law training, but that would be a big gamble.

If you want prestige and money, then you simply need to have good academics and be smart. Contacts also help.
Reply 9
there are no BTECs or similar for law? no level 2,3 in legal? no cilex or similar? I tend to think I am speaking to ignorant people
I am not looking to study law, but to learn law terminology, some basic law subjects, etc

I even did some good basic law stuff in my NVQ L3 in business administration!!!! it is annoying to speak as smartas if you are ignorant
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by studos
there are no BTECs or similar for law? no level 2,3 in legal? no cilex or similar? I tend to think I am speaking to ignorant people
I am not looking to study law, but to learn law terminology, some basic law subjects, etc

I even did some good basic law stuff in my NVQ L3 in business administration!!!! it is annoying to speak as smartas if you are ignorant

There is a btec in applied law but employers will not be impressed by it and it doesn't really teach you anything useful. There is also a level law but that is also useless because it is a blacklisted subject- meaning that employers will think of it as not being academically rigorous enough. To learn law terminology go on a law dictionary and learn terms from there. When applying for training contracts and the like, just make sure you know about the different areas of law (for example, criminal law, family law, corporate law etc...) and the qualities needed to be a good lawyer. To learn these things go on google and search for this information.

Also, it's rude to call people ignorant when they've clearly made an effort to help you and have given you some helpful information. Anyway i hope this answer satisfies you.
Original post by Trapz99
There is a btec in applied law but employers will not be impressed by it and it doesn't really teach you anything useful. There is also a level law but that is also useless because it is a blacklisted subject- meaning that employers will think of it as not being academically rigorous enough. To learn law terminology go on a law dictionary and learn terms from there. When applying for training contracts and the like, just make sure you know about the different areas of law (for example, criminal law, family law, corporate law etc...) and the qualities needed to be a good lawyer. To learn these things go on google and search for this information.

Also, it's rude to call people ignorant when they've clearly made an effort to help you and have given you some helpful information. Anyway i hope this answer satisfies you.

I find it funny how he's called a couple trainee/qualified solicitors and a law recruiter 'ignorant'. Definitely wouldn't bother responding dude, the guy needs to learn how to find information without being spoonfed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

GDL + LPC would set you up better to begin a training contract.

Seems like a waste of money if I'm honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I find it funny how he's called a couple trainee/qualified solicitors and a law recruiter 'ignorant'. Definitely wouldn't bother responding dude, the guy needs to learn how to find information without being spoonfed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im just surprised how rude and arrogant he is, considering he's asking for help.

Those courses are all over the place. Go and do some research into how to become a solicitor and youll see it doesnt involve any of those.

If those courses are ridiculously expensive then he is in for a shock when it comes to paying for his GDL and LPC.
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would usually think that someone like this is a troll but he's made so many posts and has been on tsr for a while now that it would be pretty sad if it was all trolling. Either way, he needs to realise that, as an engineering student from a mediocre uni with almost no knowledge of law and finance and seemingly no passion for either of the professions, he is likely to never even get close to a training contract or an IB graduate role.
Reply 16
again, nobody asked your opinion, go discuss elsewhere your bs
this thread is not "assess me to give me a tc" because you are thankfully too little to be in that position
(edited 8 years ago)
You show no humility, but plenty of arrogance. I'm bemised why you put so much effort into being rude to people so they dont want to help you.

You should do any of those courses.
You might learn a bit of law.

Would it help you get a training contract? Unlikely.

Change your attitude, becayse if your answers were remotely like they are on here you wouldnt survive in a legal office.
Original post by studos
again, nobody asked your opinion, go discuss elsewhere your bs
this thread is not "assess me to give me a tc" because you are thankfully too little to be in that position

I hope you realise that me and the other guys did just spend at least ten minutes of our time answering your questions while you called us ignorant and told us that we're too little to give you some valuable advice. Plus you've not even said the words thank you to us after receiving our help- all you do is insult and called some useful advice 'bs'. Perhaps you should learn to do your own research using this thing called Google instead of wasting others' time. And if people do give you advice, don't insult them for it and instead show some gratitude. I honestly hope you change your attitude if you ever want to get close to a professional job.
GDL + LPC would set you up better to begin a training contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily - proper universities (with proper law societies) offer fast-track law degrees, and this guy will need some ECs...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending