The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
Nah,the first thing that comes to mind is italy!

Watching isn't but taking part is :wink: and betting on it perhaps...who knows where cultural appropriation will end

So the world has appropriated football, rugby, cricket and golf?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
So the world has appropriated football, rugby, cricket and golf?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most codified sport, including winter sports, were invented by the British. We brought fun into the world.
Original post by Good bloke
You tell me. You are about to embark on a systematic pillaging of the intellectual property of western medicine. Why are you not content to stick with Middle Eastern beliefs?

What do you mean by 'middle eastern beliefs'? Ah I am also a European because of my father :h:
We have not yet understood the full nonsense of the concept.

We locals cannot eat foreign food, wear foreign clothes, parody foreigners or take on any minority cultural practice. Yet they can do all of those things in our culture. There is not thought for how the minority cooks, designers and comedians will earn their living in Britain, if they are not to encourage cultural appropriation.

Yet we can go abroad and live as a minority and we then magically are allowed to do those things.

British minorities can even go back to the point of their origin and still appropriate British culture, when they are not part of a minority, so by the same token, we must be able to return here and do the same.

Nobody of sense (if there is one) in the SJW movement has actually sat down and thought about how ridiculous the whole thing is.

I shall enjoy mocking it whenever it arises.

Ive not understood the full concept myself but I get the jist of what they're trying to say. It is more than just appropriating. As another user pointed out.

'However, it must be noted that cultural appropriation trivializes violent historical oppression, spreads lies about marginalized cultures and perpetuates racist stereotypes.'
(edited 8 years ago)
Ive not understood the full concept myself but I get the jist of what they're trying to say. It is more than just appropriating. As another user pointed out.

'However, it must be noted that cultural appropriation trivializes violent historical oppression, spreads lies about marginalized cultures and perpetuates racist stereotypes.'

You have not understood it, yet you pile in and support it when it is clear you have not understood the enormity of its ridiculous nature. It does you no credit.

How does it trivialise historical violent oppression? In its supporters' eyes you, not an Egyptian-Greek-Macedonian, trivialise the oppression visited on her subjects by an ancient despot queen by lauding her when dressing as her. You can see this for yourself by reading what you have quoted above. You are happy to spread a distorted stereotype by portraying her in your costume.

Yet you claim this is OK because you can speak Arabic and your parent came from a country a few hundred miles away from where she lived, though forgetting she spoke Greek, not Arabic. If dressing as Cleopatra does, indeed, trivialise her misdeeds does it matter what the origins of the person dressing as her are? Of course not!

But isn't two thousand years a long enough time to allow to pass and let grudges pass away? I'd have thought so. In which case, why shouldn't anyone dress as Cleopatra?

Surely you must see the folly of this silly concept?

Yet you claim this is OK because you can speak Arabic and your parent came from a country a few hundred miles away from where she lived

Her mother was born in Germany so it would be correct to say a 'grandparent came from a country......'
Original post by BaconandSauce
Her mother was born in Germany so it would be correct to say a 'grandparent came from a country......'

The definition of tenuous links.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am confused. This thread has been going on for 37 pages.
What is everyone talking about? What is there in the topic of cultural appropriation that can fuel 37 pages worth of debate?
Original post by StrawbAri
What is everyone talking about? What is there in the topic of cultural appropriation that can fuel 37 pages worth of debate?

hehe. We haven't even got to the bottom of what it is or why it should only apply to majorities yet. And there has been no discussion of how its application in the real world would severely disadvantage immigrants who work as clothes designers or who run ethnic restaurants.

Mostly illogical drivel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mostly illogical drivel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which sums up cultural appropriation very neatly.
Reply 672

LOADS! its great I'm really enjoying the party musics great fancy a drink?

[video="youtube;Cv6tuzHUuuk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk[/video]

WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN a cambridge Egyptian
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BaconandSauce

Hahah she still identified as being Syrian
You have not understood it, yet you pile in and support it when it is clear you have not understood the enormity of its ridiculous nature. It does you no credit.

How does it trivialise historical violent oppression? In its supporters' eyes you, not an Egyptian-Greek-Macedonian, trivialise the oppression visited on her subjects by an ancient despot queen by lauding her when dressing as her. You can see this for yourself by reading what you have quoted above. You are happy to spread a distorted stereotype by portraying her in your costume.

Yet you claim this is OK because you can speak Arabic and your parent came from a country a few hundred miles away from where she lived, though forgetting she spoke Greek, not Arabic. If dressing as Cleopatra does, indeed, trivialise her misdeeds does it matter what the origins of the person dressing as her are? Of course not!

But isn't two thousand years a long enough time to allow to pass and let grudges pass away? I'd have thought so. In which case, why shouldn't anyone dress as Cleopatra?

Surely you must see the folly of this silly concept?

I have understood some parts of it at least,but it's more than cultural appropriation apparently there's also elements of racism involved. I'm still reading up on it

Nobody is stopping you from also dressing up as cleopatra my dear. Sure,some aspects of it are somewhat confusing but I get why people are complaining about cultural appropriation and given counselling
The definition of tenuous links.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She was still a proud Levantine
I'm still reading up on it

Perhaps you can explain why you leapt in to defend and support the concept before you understood. It. I hope you don't do anything similar as a medical student or doctor.
She was still a proud Levantine

A German Levantine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps you can explain why you leapt in to defend and support the concept before you understood. It. I hope you don't do anything similar as a medical student or doctor.

I do understand,like I've said,it covers more than just 'cultural appropriation' , it's is a huge topic
A German Levantine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never heard her call herself that once but yes it makes sense
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending