The Student Room Group

What would you do with a spare £5800

Scroll to see replies

Put the money in the bank

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by john2054
Sadly i cannot buy real estate with a couple of k. Also money is there to be spent. The banks wouldn't grant me credit, if they didn't trust my ability to pay it back.I don't mind paying interest. The main is that i keep up to date on the minimum payments. I suggest you get one, if you also want some free money, at the point of use??

it's not free money by fact of you having to pay it back, it's not even free credit if you have to pay interest.
Reply 102
Original post by Mahmoud X
On a thread a few days ago, didn't you claim to be a day trader with a 150k portfolio?

:curious:

No Mo, i am not a day trader. My people do that for me (Irwin mitchell asset management). That is my trust fund which is protected from my daily expenses. This is my credit cards. They are two different things!
No Mo, i am not a day trader. My people do that for me (Irwin mitchell asset management). That is my trust fund which is protected from my daily expenses. This is my credit cards. They are two different things!

So you parents gave you a 150k trust fund?

This thread is truly a thing of beauty
Original post by Jared44
You're the reason credit cards have a bad stigma.
I use mine for everything, and I have never been unable to pay it back at the end of each month. Why? Because I actually manage my money, and not think of it as free money. You are simply borrowing it for a over a month. Then you pay it back.

They deserve bad stigma, unless you're borrowing to invest, you're a dumb schmuck if you buy things on credit.
Reply 105
it's not free money by fact of you having to pay it back, it's not even free credit if you have to pay interest.

free at point of use. Much like the NHS is free at point of use! Not free in the long run, but then neither is our health service. We have to pay for that too, mainly through taxes of some sort or the other. Free at the point of use though. At least i won't have the 'wonga' collectors banging at my door, for recollections!
free at point of use. Much like the NHS is free at point of use! Not free in the long run, but then neither is our health service. We have to pay for that too, mainly through taxes of some sort or the other. Free at the point of use though. At least i won't have the 'wonga' collectors banging at my door, for recollections!

You might do at some point
This thread is just getting stranger and stranger. I don't think you fully understand how credit cards work. I've got one and did some research before applying. (there were a few minor bits I didn't understand) I then booked an appointment with my bank. I explained why I needed a card. (to go abroad - I'd previously used a pre paid card, which is just a pain) I was given a few options of the cards I can get, given my needs.
Original post by Tiger Rag
This thread is just getting stranger and stranger. I don't think you fully understand how credit cards work. I've got one and did some research before applying. (there were a few minor bits I didn't understand) I then booked an appointment with my bank. I explained why I needed a card. (to go abroad - I'd previously used a pre paid card, which is just a pain) I was given a few options of the cards I can get, given my needs.

He is the benefactor of a portfolio worth in the hundreds of thousands, this guy understand money

I think we are looking at the new Reue
Original post by DMcGovern
The Agri business my friend. Working in a managerial position for an agricultural corporation under the Common Agri Policy is big bucks. :smile:
My cousin, with a mature student qualification works for the Kerry Group and gets a share on the family farm - he brings home 100,000 euro on a bad year.

Maybe Ireland can teach England something then. Most farmers I know are selling their milk at a loss and are wasting good food because of 'aesthetics'. In my view, supermarkets have too much power. They shouldn't determine the price of milk (Argos wouldn't do that to Apple products?) and they shouldn't be allowed to cancel orders at the last minute without paying for it. Not only is it ruining farmers, it's an unethical waste of food. There is a huge lack of respect for what farmers do in the UK and they should be appreciated and protected. (Tbh, I've long thought of emigrating to Ireland and going into teaching, again because in England it's dire, but I'm not sure if I can just yet, when the time comes I'll be looking there.)
Original post by ckfeister
rofl, his going to a bottom university anyway for psychology

Psychology isn't a bad course? Or are you implying the university is bad?
They deserve bad stigma, unless you're borrowing to invest, you're a dumb schmuck if you buy things on credit.

Stupid comment of the day goes to you.

I have the money in my current account to pay for anything I need, but I choose to pay for it on my credit card. One because it's a much more secure way of buying things, and two I get cash back on the card.

I pay my balance in full each month so I don't even incur any interest.

'Dumb schmuck' indeed...
Original post by Ihonestlydk

Yes.
Is this serious?

You're looking to get into £5800 debt on your credit cards for no specific reason?
You are aware you'll have to pay more than £5800 back once you account for interest?

Edit: Based on this quote:

I can't believe this is real...

Seriously guys, don't get into debt just for the fun of it...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 114

i'm not doing psychology, but sociology major, theatre studies minor. Plus Derby isn't a bottom university, it is actually near the top for graduate employment!!!!

!!!!

Spoiler

Reply 115
Original post by rayquaza17
Is this serious?

You're looking to get into £5800 debt on your credit cards for no specific reason?
You are aware you'll have to pay more than £5800 back once you account for interest?

Edit: Based on this quote:

I can't believe this is real...

Seriously guys, don't get into debt just for the fun of it...

I didn't say i'm planning on cashing in all of my cards. I just said that's how much i could spend if i wanted to. Actually i am at the moment only about half spent up, and i am hoping to pay this all back in the next month or so.

OK????
Original post by Mega0448
Stupid comment of the day goes to you.

I have the money in my current account to pay for anything I need, but I choose to pay for it on my credit card. One because it's a much more secure way of buying things, and two I get cash back on the card.

I pay my balance in full each month so I don't even incur any interest.

'Dumb schmuck' indeed...

I mean people who buy recreational items/services on credit and pay them off monthly, it's so annoying having to discuss things with TSR people when so many posters demand you spell everything out in the most literal way possible and think that this constitutes intelligence. It's almost as annoying as the pretentious pricks who posts dictionary definitions to prove their point, unaware of the fact that people define words and dictionaries attempt to capture their typical use, but I digress.

I'm aware you get payment protection if you use a credit card, you don't have to be an autist.
i'm not doing psychology, but sociology major, theatre studies minor. Plus Derby isn't a bottom university, it is actually near the top for graduate employment!!!!

!!!!

Spoiler

I didn't say anything about it being a bad university or you actually doing Psychology, I was just pointing out and asking a question to the previous person who said you do Psychology at a bottom University hence why I asked those questions, disagreeing. :smile:
I mean people who buy recreational items/services on credit and pay them off monthly, it's so annoying having to discuss things with TSR people when so many posters demand you spell everything out in the most literal way possible and think that this constitutes intelligence. It's almost as annoying as the pretentious pricks who posts dictionary definitions to prove their point, unaware of the fact that people define words and dictionaries attempt to capture their typical use, but I digress.

I'm aware you get payment protection if you use a credit card, you don't have to be an autist.

Oh yeah I agree with you. Saw a thread once with someone asking who should order first when they go out for a group meal as they were worried!

Same on credit I wouldn't buy anything I can't afford and pay it monthly. In my opinion it's why so many people are in debt. Buy now pay tomorrow attitude.
Reply 119
I didn't say anything about it being a bad university or you actually doing Psychology, I was just pointing out and asking a question to the previous person who said you do Psychology at a bottom University hence why I asked those questions, disagreeing. :smile:

yes i appreciate that honestly, but i have blocked that poster, so i can't actually see what nonsense he is coming out with. sorry to confuse you!!

jr

let's all be rich, buy yachts, and pretend that we all are getting firsts as an average for our degrees? What a good idea!!!!

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest