The Student Room Group

THE: 200 best universities in Europe 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wdkmwd
Where are my kcl people at!!!!!!!!!!

Here!!! Or at least they've given me an unconditional for IR. Still waiting for UCL and SOAS to answer though. Which course?
Reply 41
Original post by johananabanana
Here!!! Or at least they've given me an unconditional for IR. Still waiting for UCL and SOAS to answer though. Which course?

Computer science.
Reply 42
Original post by RonnieRJ
Yass

Well I tried applying but it's not open yet? I saw someone was saying its meant to open for 2016/17 from Monday/Tuesday?

Fair enough. Is the accommodation like in blocks, where you live with a bunch of students, or is it like you live with only a few housemates? And also I'm in a dilemma because I'm not gonna lie, I'm clueless with things like public transport and looking after myself generally :redface: so I'm considering living at home, but then people are like 'you'll miss out on the experience' so I really dk what to do :s-smilie:
Original post by Radk
Fair enough. Is the accommodation like in blocks, where you live with a bunch of students, or is it like you live with only a few housemates? And also I'm in a dilemma because I'm not gonna lie, I'm clueless with things like public transport and looking after myself generally :redface: so I'm considering living at home, but then people are like 'you'll miss out on the experience' so I really dk what to do :s-smilie:

There's self catered student houses and catered halls. You don't get to choose though, what you can do is give your preferences, like I'm going to put down I want self catered and an en suite, and those are my most important factors.

If you're unsure with things like tha you should apply for catered accomodation and list close proximity to the uni building as your most important ones? :smile:
Original post by RoyBattey
If you're a layman who doesn't know anything about universities, stick with the national rankings.

And end up at York, uea, Newcastle or Sussex ahead of Manchester? Lol god no.
Original post by Lawliettt
And end up at York, uea, Newcastle or Sussex ahead of Manchester? Lol god no.

Exactly my point. I pity the people who get misled by the national league tables, thinking they are indicators of prestige or reputation - big mistake. The international rankings are not perfect, but still give a much better representation of the truth.
(edited 8 years ago)
Dunno why i got annoyed seeing Kings so high up,seem to have developed a rather strong distaste for them :s-smilie:
Reply 47
Original post by drandy76
Dunno why i got annoyed seeing Kings so high up,seem to have developed a rather strong distaste for them :s-smilie:

I have that with Queen Mary.
Reply 48
Original post by RonnieRJ
There's self catered student houses and catered halls. You don't get to choose though, what you can do is give your preferences, like I'm going to put down I want self catered and an en suite, and those are my most important factors.

If you're unsure with things like tha you should apply for catered accomodation and list close proximity to the uni building as your most important ones? :smile:

Oh ok I see. Thanks for the advice :smile: If you don't mind me asking how did you know this? Did you just do your research or have you already applied? Yeah I'm trying to be uber healthy so I might go for self catered even though I probably won't be able to learn how to cook everything over summer. :biggrin:
These threads are always full of people patting themselves on the back. It's pretty poor. There is more to a university than these tables.
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
These threads are always full of people patting themselves on the back. It's pretty poor. There is more to a university than these tables.

you are the my least favorite of the friends cast,followed closely by Ross
Original post by drandy76
you are the my least favorite of the friends cast,followed closely by Ross

Good.
Original post by Radk
Oh ok I see. Thanks for the advice :smile: If you don't mind me asking how did you know this? Did you just do your research or have you already applied? Yeah I'm trying to be uber healthy so I might go for self catered even though I probably won't be able to learn how to cook everything over summer. :biggrin:

I've just done my research that's all, I think applications should start tomorrow or in a few days :smile:
Haha you can always get some salad sorted :wink:
Original post by wdkmwd
I have that with Queen Mary.

Queen Marys is legit **** though. Having a uni in a 1km radius of mile end should be punishable by death
Original post by Lawliettt
Queen Marys is legit **** though. Having a uni in a 1km radius of mile end should be punishable by death

Loool harsh but it is in a pretty **** location.
Original post by PJ777
Nah I disagree, I still believe Cambridge university is the best and not Oxford

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but they're both pretty much the same. :biggrin:
Original post by Death Grips
Once again another example to prove that international rankings are pretty meaningless, because they rarely ever correspond to national rankings.

Stick to national rankings, if you dont want to be misled.

National rankings, the ones that place surrey over the likes of ICL/UCL? totally legit :smile:. Heck it's not even as good as Manchester/KCL. I'll stick to my international rankings if i decide to look at rankings at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Oilfreak1
National rankings, the ones that place surrey over the likes of ICL/UCL? totally legit :smile:. Heck it's not even as good as Manchester/KCL. I'll stick to my international rankings if i decide to look at rankings at all.

I then went on to clraify that only factors you should look at in the national rankings are entry standards and research score. Everything else is bullsh*t.
Original post by PQ
You could totally start pumping out rankings based on the uni-match reviews (although there do seem to be a lot of nonsense reviews in there that are 1 star with no comments)

The settling in score might be worth a closer look given http://www.youthsight.com/he-research-snippet-20-welcome-for-the-future/

To counter those kinds of reviews, sometimes researchers will knock off the worst and best scores, leaving the middle which are usually the most accurate (i.e. 0 is usually nonsense from people with an agenda, or 10 sometimes reflects people just rushing through. That would only leave scores 1 - 4 but that could work.

That said, I have noticed on other surveys on TSR. While the bottom '0' scores are generally nonsense the people who put '10' usually justify it all. So for us, it might just be worth removing those bottom nonsense scores.

p.s. love the duck density.
Original post by Death Grips
I then went on to clraify that only factors you should look at in the national rankings are entry standards and research score. Everything else is bullsh*t.

Research has much greater weighting in international tables than in domestic tables the fact that you have to go on to clarify that all but 2 categories in the tables are ******** kinda proves the irrelevancy of national tables.

Global reputation, research influence, industry income etc. provide much better bearings for the universities perceived prestige than "entry standards and research score" I would actually argue the NSS score is more important than either when looking at domestic tables, as they give an indication of where you'd most likely be happiest.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest