The Student Room Group

Most Teens aren't heterosexual and don't believe in gender study shows.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annaew
https://www.jwtintelligence.com/2016/03/gen-z-goes-beyond-gender-binaries-in-new-innovation-group-data/

Do you guys think we are heading towards a gender neutral bisexual society?

Possibly, but I'm not one of those 'most teens' :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by TuppenceB
Possibly, but I'm not one of those 'most teens' :biggrin:

I'm not either :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by DiddyDec
Already have.

No. I mean Gender. It is a thing, whether that be binary or non binary. Just because something is a social construct does not mean it doesn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always thought gender was a social construct rooted in our biology.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Already have.

No. I mean Gender. It is a thing, whether that be binary or non binary. Just because something is a social construct does not mean it doesn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sex is determined by biology, basically whether you have XY or XX chromosomes alongside physical characteristics that I need not explain. SEX is concrete.

Gender, is fluid because as you mentioned, it is a social construct. It doesn't exist, it was created. Gender is a frame of mind, a sense of being that cannot be determined by a stringent set of laws.

Thus why in your passport it asks for SEX and not GENDER. There have been numerous psychological studies that disagree with you so I think I'll leave it to the experts to determine whether you're wrong or not. (But… you're wrong as far I am aware)
Original post by annaew
I always thought gender was a social construct rooted in our biology.

Original post by Zarvee
Sex is determined by biology, basically whether you have XY or XX chromosomes alongside physical characteristics that I need not explain. SEX is concrete.

Gender, is fluid because as you mentioned, it is a social construct. It doesn't exist, it was created. Gender is a frame of mind, a sense of being that cannot be determined by a stringent set of laws.

Thus why in your passport it asks for SEX and not GENDER. There have been numerous psychological studies that disagree with you so I think I'll leave it to the experts to determine whether you're wrong or not. (But… you're wrong as far I am aware)

You have both just proved that gender exists.

Society is a social construct therefore it doesn't exist.
Law is a social construct therefore it doesn't exist.
Happiness is all in your hear therefore doesn't exist.
Social construct is a social construct therefore it doesn't exist.

Gender exists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by annaew
https://www.jwtintelligence.com/2016/03/gen-z-goes-beyond-gender-binaries-in-new-innovation-group-data/

I'd certainly be happy if everyone was bisexual; all the more availability and chance for me.

But not believing in gender is just stupid. We'll never reach a gender-neutral society, because the differences will always be apparent, whether people acknowledge them or not.

Original post by annaew
But it's not only about gender neutral pronouns, 56 percent said they wear clothes not designed for their own gender.
Last week Zara launched a gender neutral collection, last year YouGov made a poll that showed half of young people in the uk see themselves as not completely straight either.

So is feminism right is gender like sexuality just a social construct?

How is sexuality (merely) a social construct for that matter? That's based on a faulty premise.

Neither are social constructs, neither aren't. They are partially, an intermediary, yet can't be entirely because I'm pretty sure both gender and sexuality have biological bases. Also good to remember that sexuality can be divided into sexual orientation and behaviour.

Original post by BhagwanNoBhool
In the tumblr generation, everyone's a speshul snowflake. I'm not doubting that non hetero people exist, but no way is it anywhere near 54%

Repping for your variant spelling of 'special snowflake'.

Original post by Zarvee
I think you mean 'sex' is a fact. Gender, can be put up for debate.

No, it can't. And...

@Zarvee
and @DiddyDec
Sex/gender exists is a fact. I feel the need to point this out because it sounds like really awkward English.

Already have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're fighting a lost cause, so kudos to you. :tongue:
Reply 26

Gender exists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that was my point, I agree with your views about gender.

What I don't get either is that when gender is a social construct how could transgendered people exist?

Or why is sexuality fluid and a social construct for everyone, except for homosexuals?
Reply 27
Original post by XcitingStuart
I'd certainly be happy if everyone was bisexual; all the more availability and chance for me.

But not believing in gender is just stupid. We'll never reach a gender-neutral society, because the differences will always be apparent, whether people acknowledge them or not.

How is sexuality (merely) a social construct for that matter? That's based on a faulty premise.

Neither are social constructs, neither aren't. They are partially, an intermediary, yet can't be entirely because I'm pretty sure both gender and sexuality have biological bases. Also good to remember that sexuality can be divided into sexual orientation and behaviour.

Repping for your variant spelling of 'special snowflake'.

No, it can't. And...

@Zarvee
and @DiddyDec
Sex/gender exists is a fact. I feel the need to point this out because it sounds like really awkward English.

You're fighting a lost cause, so kudos to you. :tongue:

It isn't a lost cause, i actually agree with both of you. I just don't get how the numbers can be so high without something social going on.
Original post by whorace
Lol ok. Gender neutral pronouns, I think the new generation are all ready to finally put a nail in this country and be taken over by the Russians, Indians, Chinese and Brazilians. Oh well, natural selection I guess.

They gays are coming for you.
Original post by annaew
Yeah that was my point, I agree with your views about gender.

What I don't get either is that when gender is a social construct how could transgendered people exist?

Or why is sexuality fluid and a social construct for everyone, except for homosexuals?

Because they subscribe to the social construct with the existence of gender but do not feel that their sex matches their gender.

Homosexual, heterosexual etc are binary sexualities. Fluidity is the non binary "here nor there" sexualities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
They gays are coming for you.

Lol you don't get it do you? I'm not even anti-gay, but countries like China and India will close the gap eventually, and when they do traditional virtues of masculinity will be necessary to defend this country.
Original post by annaew
It isn't a lost cause, i actually agree with both of you. I just don't get how the numbers can be so high without something social going on.

I put the :tongue: face to hopefully show I wasn't being serious, like literal. :biggrin:

More accurately, it is an arduous and tiresome cause, but it has to be done to keep the sanity of society.

I was just congratulating @DiddyDec for doing a part.
Reply 32

Gender exists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stupid reply. Since when is a single argument applicable to all concepts in the world? The notion ever crossed your mind that this whole gender/sex thing is independent from everything else? Is your thinking that insular?

In any case, sex exists because we (the world) have determined the rules that result in 'sex' - rules that are universally accepted. May be different in other worlds, but I'm thinking about this one.

You are arguing that gender has these same universal and stringent rules, and that simply isn't the case because of the different meanings the two terms hold. Gender is intertwined with masculinity and femininity (both social constructs as well), both of which vary globally. In one country one mindset could be feminine, whilst in another it can be masculine. This is all apart of gendering. Do you see what I'm saying? Gender varies.

Additionally, if there was only 'sex' (which does exist, mind you, cos biology), why would we feel the need to create an entirely separate word - 'gender'?
Reply 33
Original post by annaew

i am dubious as to the scientific rigour and the bias of this study, however supposing that it is accurate and the what they are inferring is true then good, i wholly agree. gender and sexuality are very confusing and personal topics and our attitudes towards them are a world away from 50 years ago. i firmly believe that generation z as the article calls us will be living proof that unity and individuality are not mutually exclusive.

there is one attitude in society however that i feel needs to change and seems to be fairly tightly stuck, our driving need to pit everything into boxes, to label and classify. it causes divisions in society, furthers in groups and out groups and encourages intolerance and discrimination. moreover, it is simply unsustainable as we transition to a post-modern society. take sexuality for example. it used to be that there were two definitions: homosexual and heterosexual. now there are many more: bisexual, asexual, pan-sexual, bi-curious, grey ace, and as the article pointed out, there are multiple classifications of bisexual as it exists as a scale, from a strong preference for men to a strong preference for women. as time goes on more and more of these labels will appear as our position on sexuality becomes more and more diverse.

gender is another issue where we experiece this problem, although to a lesser extent, and it can be seen clearly with public bathrooms, as the article points out there is growing support for gender neutral bathrooms, two ways this problem could go: either we add a new bathroom classification (this will cause more problems than it solves) or we transition to unisex bathrooms (in my opinion the better option, but presents some potential problems of its own).
Gender is a fact, you can choose not believe in it but it will still exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends what they don;t believe in. Any aspects of gender that are down to environmental conditioning may well change. The act of no longer believing in it will change it. It's one of those things where you just adopt a live and let live attitude and just go along with whatever happens.

There is a more hard-wired definition of gender with regards to reproductive organs and physical differences like that. But even that often misfires. You get "women" who have no ovaries and have inverted testes due to a missfire in when they were growing in the womb. They grow up as a woman, try for a child, then find out they have male reproductive organs. So even physiologically it isn't as simple as you think it is.

Also sexuality =/= gender.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Because they subscribe to the social construct with the existence of gender but do not feel that their sex matches their gender.

Homosexual, heterosexual etc are binary sexualities. Fluidity is the non binary "here nor there" sexualities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And would you say most people have a binary sexuality or most people are sexual fluid?

Because surveys like this one show that the majority wouldn't call themselves really heterosexual anymore.
Original post by whorace
Lol you don't get it do you? I'm not even anti-gay, but countries like China and India will close the gap eventually, and when they do traditional virtues of masculinity will be necessary to defend this country.

You may as well be. If you think we need to adopt a Putin in style clamp down on gender queerness to defend our country other more masculine countries.
Reply 37
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You may as well be. If you think we need to adopt a Putin in style clamp down on gender queerness to defend our country other more masculine countries.

Who the hell said anything about government forcing gender? I'd rather people come to their senses of their own accord.
Reply 38
Of course, I'm not saying variation = doesn't exist, I'm just trying to argue that it isn't as simple as people are 'male' and 'female' (in terms of gender). There is a scale.
Exist is a hard word to use actually...
Reply 39
Original post by annaew
So is feminism right is gender like sexuality just a social construct?

as a student of sociology i cant not say this:

gender IS a social construct! it is the expected behavioural patterns society subconsciously imposes on individuals from birth based on their sex. as proof i offer the very simple fact that many cultures have or have had 3 genders. some even more than that.

sex is NOT a social construct it is the very basic difference of whether your genes are shorter on one side or not. (ok its not quite as simple as that, there are genetic variants that result in forms of hermaphroditism)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending