The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get in ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by looktoyourright
Well I think Oxford will be easier to get in due to lower grade requirements and also because the mats sound 'easier' than steps

The computer science questions are very different to anything you may have done before. Whereas STEP is like A Level on steroids, the CompSci questions on the MAT are utterly alien.

Also, from what I've seen, the interviews are harder at Oxford than Cambridge. Cambridge weigh UMS so highly, so many people come to interview with next to no chance of getting in, even if they do really well. On the other hand, many students with high UMS don't have to do that well at interview to get in.

Oxford value the interview above all else.
Original post by quoderatdemonstr
The computer science questions are very different to anything you may have done before. Whereas STEP is like A Level on steroids, the CompSci questions on the MAT are utterly alien.

Also, from what I've seen, the interviews are harder at Oxford than Cambridge. Cambridge weigh UMS so highly, so many people come to interview with next to no chance of getting in, even if they do really well. On the other hand, many students with high UMS don't have to do that well at interview to get in.

But if I get A* AA predicted is there even a chance of applying as their requirement is A*A*A???
But if I get A* AA predicted is there even a chance of applying as their requirement is A*A*A???

Probably not. If you had a reason, or you're from an underachieving school, then maybe.

I guess you should choose Oxford, but bear in mind that your chances of succeeding at interview (let alone MAT) are appreciably lower than if you'd got good UMS and A*A*A predictions, and applied to Cambridge.
Well I think Oxford will be easier to get in due to lower grade requirements and also because the mats sound 'easier' than steps

As far as I'm aware STEP is only a requirement for Computer Science and Maths at Cambridge. Most colleges will not ask for STEP for straight Computer Science.
Original post by Plagioclase
As far as I'm aware STEP is only a requirement for Computer Science and Maths at Cambridge. Most colleges will not ask for STEP for straight Computer Science.

STEP is sometimes asked for in Engineering too
Original post by Student403
STEP is sometimes asked for in Engineering too

At least according to the website, only some colleges give out STEP offers (i.e. you can choose a college that definitely won't give out a STEP offer).
At least according to the website, only some colleges give out STEP offers (i.e. you can choose a college that definitely won't give out a STEP offer).

Yeah that's true
Reply 47

Yep, just Christ's and Peterhouse usually give STEP offers. Also sometimes you can get one for Economics too. Not common though.
Original post by jneill
Yep, just Christ's and Peterhouse usually give STEP offers. Also sometimes you can get one for Economics too. Not common though.

That's good but there's no chance I will be getting A*A*A predicted I don't think I can only get 1 A* predicted:frown:
Reply 49
That's good but there's no chance I will be getting A*A*A predicted I don't think I can only get 1 A* predicted:frown:

In which case consider Oxford (or Cambridge) as an aspirational choice (it's only 1 of your 5 options). And consider more "realistic" uni for your others choices. There's plenty of good unis looking for AAA.
Original post by jneill
In which case consider Oxford (or Cambridge) as an aspirational choice (it's only 1 of your 5 options). And consider more "realistic" uni for your others choices. There's plenty of good unis looking for AAA.

Sure. So Oxford has lower grade requirements but harder during interview and hard mats. Cambridge had higher grade requirements but easier interviews and look more at UMS and depending on what college I won't have to do all STEPS?
Original post by jneill

Would an A* count in my first language
Sure. So Oxford has lower grade requirements but harder during interview and hard mats. Cambridge had higher grade requirements but easier interviews and look more at UMS and depending on what college I won't have to do all STEPS?

Yes, but in your case, even if you do really well at interview at Cambridge, they'll likely still reject you due to grades
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, but in your case, even if you do really well at interview at Cambridge, they'll likely still reject you due to grades

But what if I got A*A*AA but one of the A* is for an a level that is my first language do those not count ?
Reply 54

I wouldn't say the interview is harder or easier between Oxford and Cambridge. They both consider your overall holistic application, not any single part in isolation.

Cambridge also now has an admissions assessment, like MAT, for compsci except it's taken at interview.

You might want to look at this thread (nb. CSAT was introduced for some colleges in 2016 but will be standard across the uni, except mature colleges, for 2017 entry):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3608599

But what if I got A*A*AA but one of the A* is for an a level that is my first language do those not count ?
They are likely to ask for the A*s in Maths or F Maths, and Physics
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55

Also, from what I've seen, the interviews are harder at Oxford than Cambridge.

Source?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Youtube search Cambridge Computer Science interview. I'm assuming they falsely portrayed it as easier than it is to attract more applicants, but all the questions were extensions of A level Maths.

Oxford use question styles that are a vast departure from the normal Maths curriculum. In my own experience, I wasn't asked a single question that could be considered "just a harder version of A Level Maths". Look on the oxford cs website for sample interview questions, and you'll see.
Original post by jneill
I wouldn't say the interview is harder or easier between Oxford and Cambridge. They both consider your overall holistic application, not any single part in isolation.

Cambridge also now has an admissions assessment, like MAT, for compsci except it's taken at interview.

You might want to look at this thread (nb. CSAT was introduced for some colleges in 2016 but will be standard across the uni, except mature colleges, for 2017 entry):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3608599

They are likely to ask for the A*s in Maths or F Maths, and Physics

What if I got A in ft maths . A* in maths A* my first Lang . A physics ? Is that good or my first Lang a* doesn't count
Reply 58
What if I got A in ft maths . A* in maths A* my first Lang . A physics ? Is that good or my first Lang a* doesn't count

As per my earlier reply, they are likely to want A*s in relevant subjects (i.e. maths/sciences)
Reply 59
Youtube search Cambridge Computer Science interview. I'm assuming they falsely portrayed it as easier than it is to attract more applicants, but all the questions were extensions of A level Maths.

Oxford use question styles that are a vast departure from the normal Maths curriculum. In my own experience, I wasn't asked a single question that could be considered "just a harder version of A Level Maths". Look on the oxford cs website for sample interview questions, and you'll see.

Yep, I wouldn't necessarily go by YT vids. The CSAT is now a key part of the process for Cambridge.
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions-test/

And the source for your assertion "Oxford value the interview above all else"?

Perhaps @gavinlowe could comment?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending