The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
given counselling

Anyone that needs counselling for cultural appropriation should take good look at their lives and work out where they went so wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 681
Original post by Good bloke
Perhaps you can explain why you leapt in to defend and support the concept before you understood. It. I hope you don't do anything similar as a medical student or doctor.

Why shouldn't a doctor defend concepts or something? Whats the harm in that, some people?
Reply 682
Original post by DiddyDec
Anyone that needs counselling for cultural appropriation should take good look at their lives and work out where they went so wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely what counsellors are there for, wazok.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I chuckled! Give them a break,they're clearly distraught by this
Original post by N-R-G
Precisely what counsellors are there for, wazok.

No, counsellors are for people who actually need help, not someone who saw a white person eating a curry.

I chuckled! Give them a break,they're clearly distraught by this

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 685
No, counsellors are for people who actually need help, not someone who saw a white person eating a curry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wrong counsellors are for people who can afford one.

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you don't have any empathy? :frown:
Reply 687
[video="youtube;IpeRShWMdYM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpeRShWMdYM[/video]
I do understand,like I've said,it covers more than just 'cultural appropriation' , it's is a huge topic

How can cultural appropriation include more than cultural appropriation? Is it like the Tardis?
Original post by Greenlaner

Damn you!! Now I have to retreat to my safe space, listen to some calming whale music and hug a golden retriever for about 5 hours.

PRSOM. :biggrin:
Original post by N-R-G
Why shouldn't a doctor defend concepts or something? Whats the harm in that, some people?

The problem lies in supporting something you don't understand. Take the vaccination and autism scandal. Would you think it a good idea that doctors leap in and support those that claimed that MMR vaccine causes autism without examining the evidence and understanding the issue first? I don't.
Original post by Mahmoud X

Nobody seems to have noticed that safe spaces are usually warm and cosy.

What happens to snowflakes in such an environment?

Of course, keeping a snowflake in a freezer causes it to lose its unique properties completely too, so the moral of this is that snowflakes cannot be preserved.
you don't have any empathy? :frown:

Not for people complaining about non-issues. I couldn't care less if someone was using British culture for their own gain or a fashion statement. I wouldn't have a breakdown if I saw someone with a Union Jack or eating fish and chips.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How can cultural appropriation include more than cultural appropriation? Is it like the Tardis?

Ties in with racism too apparently,who knew
Not for people complaining about non-issues. I couldn't care less if someone was using British culture for their own gain or a fashion statement. I wouldn't have a breakdown if I saw someone with a Union Jack or eating fish and chips.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe to you these matters are just trivial but it looks not to others and the universities providing them with safe spaces

I really want to check out the KCL one and I wonder if my new university will have one
Ties in with racism too apparently,who knew

Part of the ridiculous concept is that it is racism. That does not mean that it is. Your dressing up as Cleopatra was especially bad because you are not of her race, did not speak the same language, come from a different continent and do not follow the same culture.
Part of the ridiculous concept is that it is racism. That does not mean that it is. Your dressing up as Cleopatra was especially bad because you are not of her race, did not speak the same language, come from a different continent and do not follow the same culture.

oh so Cleopatra wasn't Caucasian? she wasn't from the Mediterranean/north Africa? levantine culture is similar to greek/other Mediterranean cultures but just because i speak arabic.. I'm sorry my mother never really taught me the Language of our levantine people,Just the language we were given by the Arabs when they took over Syria along time ago.
This 'debate' is still ongoing? :indiff:
Original post by Hydeman
This 'debate' is still ongoing? :indiff:

Unfortunately so :redface:
oh so Cleopatra wasn't Caucasian? she wasn't from the Mediterranean/north Africa? levantine culture is similar to greek/other Mediterranean cultures but just because i speak arabic.. I'm sorry my mother never really taught me the Language of our levantine people,Just the language we were given by the Arabs when they took over Syria along time ago.

Well, my mother never taught me any Celtic. However, some people who spoke those languages lived near where I live two thousand years ago. Does that mean I live in a similar culture?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending