The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
This 'debate' is still ongoing? :indiff:

Well, Queen-bee is still vigorously defending her right to glorify a despotic queen and trivialise her crimes and misdeeds by dressing up as her in fancy dress parties. This might be oppressive to some and should be stopped. She obviously has no empathy.
Original post by Good bloke
Well, my mother never taught me any Celtic. However, some people who spoke those languages lived near where I live two thousand years ago. Does that mean I live in a similar culture?

it's not just about the language. Do you share similar cultural practices?
Well, Queen-bee is still vigorously defending her right to glorify a despotic queen and trivialise her crimes and misdeeds by dressing up as her in fancy dress parties. This might be oppressive to some and should be stopped. She obviously has no empathy.

If I dressed up as pocohantas,Then that would be cultural appropriation and btw I am In no way trivialising her crimes
Original post by queen-bee
it's not just about the language. Do you share similar cultural practices?

You miss the point. CA (I can't keep typing it in full) seeks to protect people from the traumatising effects of nasty people being glorified and their misdeeds trivialised (among other things. I would have thought that, as a card-carrying member of the Bleeding Hearts and Equality Society, you would support that aim. It was in the quotation you have twice used to explain CA.

Yet, here you are, vigorously asserting your right to do exactly that, regardless of the trauma it causes to those you obviously cannot have empathy for. You haven't thought it through at all, have you?
If I dressed up as pocohantas,Then that would be cultural appropriation and btw I am In no way trivialising her crimes

Dressing up as Cleopatra clearing breaches the principles and aims of CA. You quoted it yourself. It seeks to put a stop to the trivialisation of crimes. You seek to trivialise Cleopatra's despotic crimes. You should be ashamed of yourself.
You miss the point. CA (I can't keep typing it in full) seeks to protect people from the traumatising effects of nasty people being glorified and their misdeeds trivialised (among other things. I would have thought that, as a card-carrying member of the Bleeding Hearts and Equality Society, you would support that aim. It was in the quotation you have twice used to explain CA.

Yet, here you are, vigorously asserting your right to do exactly that, regardless of the trauma it causes to those you obviously cannot have empathy for. You haven't thought it through at all, have you?

I am flattered that you have referred to my humanitarian qualities :h:

It's not cultural appropriation! I don't know of anybody that is affected by Cleopatra at this present time,do you? But i can see where you are coming from but it's still not cultural appropriation for the reasons I've stated.

You know what else comes to mind actually,that film,Exodus: gods and kings,is that also cultural appropriation? There was an uproar when it first came out
(edited 8 years ago)
Dressing up as Cleopatra clearing breaches the principles and aims of CA. You quoted it yourself. It seeks to put a stop to the trivialisation of crimes. You seek to trivialise Cleopatra's despotic crimes. You should be ashamed of yourself.

interesting concept for someone who doesn't believe CA exists. I quoted it from a source another member has graced us with. I shall bear that in mind. By dressing up as her I'm trivializing her crimes?
By dressing up as her I'm trivializing her crimes?

You came into this thread to support CA. You have quoted those words several times in that support effort. It is part of the CA thesis. You must therefore believe it.
You came into this thread to support CA. You have quoted those words several times in that support effort. It is part of the CA thesis. You must therefore believe it.

But that doesn't apply here. Because I'm not a majority trying to trivialise historic minority oppressions,I myself am a minority with similar cultural aspects as Greeks and Macedonians
But that doesn't apply here. Because I'm not a majority trying to trivialise historic minority oppressions,I myself am a minority with similar cultural aspects as Greeks and Macedonians

Again, you miss the point. If is a bad thing to trivialise oppression, then it is bad for you to do so. The CA point is that majorities are highly likely to hit raw nerves among minorities, while minorities are less likely to. You are arguing for the right to oppress people. Are you comfortable with that?
Again, you miss the point. If is a bad thing to trivialise oppression, then it is bad for you to do so. The CA point is that majorities are highly likely to hit raw nerves among minorities, while minorities are less likely to. You are arguing for the right to oppress people. Are you comfortable with that?

Who's culture am appropriating that isn't similar to my own???? So if a modern day Greek or Macedonian or Egyptian chose to dress up as her it's also cultural appropriation?
hehe. We haven't even got to the bottom of what it is or why it should only apply to majorities yet. And there has been no discussion of how its application in the real world would severely disadvantage immigrants who work as clothes designers or who run ethnic restaurants.

Three hours and two pages later we still haven't come to a conclusion?

Okay:
1. 'Cultural Appropriation' is a non issue. There are many more things we need to be offended about (i.e. People still thinking the world is flat. wtf?)

2. It's strange that it only applies to white people. Once my Lebanese friend came to a Halloween party dressed up as Prince Babajide the internet scammer and no one batted an eyelash. I wonder what would happen if it was a white person that did that.

3. If one wishes to borrow and incorporate parts of foreign culture one finds beautiful/interesting then they can by all means.

4. If we stop cultural appropriation my (Nigerian) mum's Chinese restaurant will get closed down and you don't want me to be poor do you? :frown:

/end thread
Who's culture am appropriating that isn't similar to my own???? So if a modern day Greek or Macedonian or Egyptian chose to dress up as her it's also cultural appropriation?

Why do you wriggle about this? You claim to be a CA supporter yet you are arguing very persistently for the right to do exactly what CA says people should not do. You are coming across as someone who wants to oppress someone, and Greek-Macedonian-Egyptians are your chosen target, perhaps because you think you can get away with it.
Original post by StrawbAri
Three hours and two pages later we still haven't come to a conclusion?

Of course we have, those of us who are sane. But QB is now arguing that she has the right to oppress people, which is very funny.
Why do you wriggle about this? You claim to be a CA supporter yet you are arguing very persistently for the right to do exactly what CA says people should not do. You are coming across as someone who wants to oppress someone, and Greek-Macedonian-Egyptians are your chosen target, perhaps because you think you can get away with it.

Their culture is not alien to that of my own,why won't you listen. I'm not in a position of power for me to 'oppress' anyway.
Their culture is not alien to that of my own,why won't you listen. I'm not in a position of power for me to 'oppress' anyway.

How can you be part of a culture that was 2,000 years removed from you, that spoke a language nobody speaks any more, that was based in a country you have no connection with, and practised sibling marriage, just to name the most obvious things?

I am not in a position of power vis a vis minorities, so CA would not apply to me for that reason, eh?
How can you be part of a culture that was 2,000 years removed from you, that spoke a language nobody speaks any more, that was based in a country you have no connection with, and practised sibling marriage, just to name the most obvious things?

I am not in a position of power vis a vis minorities, so CA would not apply to me for that reason, eh?

Would the same thing then apply to modern day Greeks and Egyptians and Macedonians? Or it is just Levantine people you're against?

Nah,see it would still apply to you
Would the same thing then apply to modern day Greeks and Egyptians and Macedonians? Or it is just Levantine people you're against?

Nah,see it would still apply to you

Why? If you are excluded through having no personal power, why am I not too?
Reply 718

I know you repped me and I appreciate that but lets be honest that won't be happening again for a while but didn't you say your origins were Arabian and didn't the Muslim Arabs oppress the Africans of egypt wasn't Cleopatra an African? Isn't that therefore the exact opposite of cultural appropriation?
Reply 719
The problem lies in supporting something you don't understand. Take the vaccination and autism scandal. Would you think it a good idea that doctors leap in and support those that claimed that MMR vaccine causes autism without examining the evidence and understanding the issue first? I don't.

Did queen bae say that about the MMR?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending