The Student Room Group

What is hate speech?

I have saw people accuse others of hate speech just for having a different opinion, so I was wondering how people would define hate speech?

Scroll to see replies

it's essentially a special category of controversial speech that the government has decided to ban against the full principle of free speech. free speech only for those you agree with isn't "free speech"
Reply 2
Original post by sleepysnooze
it's essentially a special category of controversial speech that the government has decided to ban against the full principle of free speech. free speech only for those you agree with isn't "free speech"

You talk so much sh*t all day long it's becoming tiresome...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
You talk so much sh*t all day long it's becoming tiresome...

Posted from TSR Mobile

aw? well poor old you
how about you actually explain how what I've said was incorrect before soiling your credibility with cheap talk?
Reply 4
aw? well poor old you
how about you actually explain how what I've said was incorrect before soiling your credibility with cheap talk?

In what way, shape or form is hate speech an excuse used by government to carb free speech?

You'd want absolutely limitless and unqualified "free speech"?

(FYI, I have no intention of being credible on an online forum)

Posted from TSR Mobile
In what way, shape or form is hate speech an excuse used by government to carb free speech?

You'd want absolutely limitless and unqualified "free speech"?

(FYI, I have no intention of being credible on an online forum)

Posted from TSR Mobile

because it's the criminalisation of speech that doesn't result in the harm of another person. so that's a violation of the basic premise of freedom of speech
-and yeah, I do.
and I know you don't
Original post by joecphillips
I have saw people accuse others of hate speech just for having a different opinion, so I was wondering how people would define hate speech?

Hate speech is free speech that people dislike

Posted from TSR Mobile
Communication which is threatening or abusive, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone as well as hatred on account of one of the protected characteristics such as sexual orientation or ethnicity.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Communication which is threatening or abusive, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone as well as hatred on account of one of the protected characteristics such as sexual orientation or ethnicity.

Ma safe space

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alarm. What does that even mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Alarm. What does that even mean?

alarm
/əˈlɑːm/
make (someone) feel frightened, disturbed, or in danger.
"the government was alarmed by an outbreak of unrest"
alarm
/əˈlɑːm/
make (someone) feel frightened, disturbed, or in danger.
"the government was alarmed by an outbreak of unrest"

So it can interpreted to mean almost anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

aka, controversial speech which doesn't violate people's liberty, only their emotions
aka, controversial speech which doesn't violate people's liberty, only their emotions

Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
because it's the criminalisation of speech that doesn't result in the harm of another person. so that's a violation of the basic premise of freedom of speech
-and yeah, I do.
and I know you don't

Are you being serious?

You'd be fine with people being allowed to publish classified information which may severely harm the nation's safety? You'd be fine with powerful people using "freedom of speech" to harass, oppress or slander individuals through the media? You'd be fine with people being allowed to manipulate others who want to keep their privacy? And these are just three of the many, many examples.

What you're advocating is freedom of tyranny, not freedom of speech. Some rights have to be qualified if other rights are to be respected.
Hate speech is being racist, sexist, discriminatory with your words.
Obviously.

Original post by paul514
Hate speech is free speech that people dislike

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Twins
We're talking about speech not publishing classified data

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrsjenner
Hate speech is being racist, sexist, discriminatory with your words.
Obviously.

Twins

Two people who believe in free speech

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you being serious?

You'd be fine with people being allowed to publish classified information which may severely harm the nation's safety? You'd be fine with powerful people using "freedom of speech" to harass, oppress or slander individuals through the media? You'd be fine with people being allowed to manipulate others who want to keep their privacy? And these are just three of the many, many examples.

What you're advocating is freedom of tyranny, not freedom of speech. Some rights have to be qualified if other rights are to be respected.

Left a VM to say for the first time I agree with you. Hate speech can promote discrimination when it's so frivolously expressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending