The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In terms of an omnipresent being, it's a question of complexity and I simply don't see it as being likely.
In terms of a biblical god, it is so blatantly made man to me it's absurd.
Thing is, I can't just choose to believe in something. I have to be convinced through evidence which is precisely why I'm atheist.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by malaikaxx
*crying with laughter* listen honey
Honey...

*to this very day science has not proven
I'm sorry, I didn't realise that because I was overwhelmed with all the stuff god and religion has proven...

*how the big bang started in terms of how the centre of explosion happened,
"explosion"... oh dear.
*how is it possible to make a hypothesis about after events when those very scientists (which you atheists lean on for prove about the universe)

That's false, many atheists have their own theories regardless of the scientific principles and the consensus of the scientific community. e.g. climate change isn't real, vaccination causes autism, denying evolutionary psychology, heterosexuality is a social construct, the earth is growing and expanding and many other pseudo-scientific garbage... The universe could have been a giant hotdog before for all atheists care.
how is it possible to make a hypothesis about after events when those very scientists (which you atheists lean on for prove about the universe) haven't even figured out how the core of everything happened to prove after events right

We know the big bang (a cosmic expansion from a point of quantum singularity) happened regardless of "cause".

We know evolution happened without knowing the full origin of life (abiogenesis) itself.

We know stem-cells are pluripotent without knowing exactly how or why this is.

We know a murder happened without fully knowing who, why, when, how the perpetrator did it.

We know a bank has being robbed or your house has been burgled without knowing exactly who, how, when.

We know the door has been left open without knowing who or why opened the door.
Original post by Tahira__
Then how were you created
This being, a human body, which is the most complex creation on this earth
Was created by no one? It just came to be?

How exactly is the human body the most complex creation on earth? It is no more complex than most other mammals, some would argue it is a lot less complex than some others, for example, marine mammals need additional complex systems to deal with their aquatic lifestyle. Yes we do have a particularly "advanced" brain, but this is only one part of the human body, plenty of other animals have other body parts that are particularly well developed beyond our abilities.
My parents weren't religious so I grew up without believing in any faith.. I didn't really choose to be non-religious, I was just raised without practicing beliefs. I don't think religion will have any impact on me because I've gone through childhood and adolescence without it and things have been pretty average, and I don't see how believing in something that isn't proven to exist will change any aspect of my life. Science has discovered how the world came to be and how we evolved over millions of years and religion would just try to tell me otherwise when it's obviously not true.
Original post by Tahira__
Then how were you created
This being, a human body, which is the most complex creation on this earth
Was created by no one? It just came to be?

no? it grew, it formed by borrowing nutrients from a temporary host and using an instruction manual. how the universe, and subsequently all life, came into existence matters little to me, no one can be proven empirically right or wrong and even if they could be it would just cause more questions, while personally i do favour the existence of a deity i think it fruitless to question how that deity had a hand in existence.
Original post by chemting
Honey...

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that because I was overwhelmed with all the stuff god and religion has proven...

"explosion"... oh dear.

That's false, many atheists have their own theories regardless of the scientific principles and the consensus of the scientific community. e.g. climate change isn't real, vaccination causes autism, denying evolutionary psychology, heterosexuality is a social construct, the earth is growing and expanding and many other pseudo-scientific garbage... The universe could have been a giant hotdog before for all atheists care.

We know the big bang (a cosmic expansion from a point of quantum singularity) happened regardless of "cause".

We know evolution happened without knowing the full origin of life (abiogenesis) itself.

We know stem-cells are pluripotent without knowing exactly how or why this is.

We know a murder happened without fully knowing who, why, when, how the perpetrator did it.

We know a bank has being robbed or your house has been burgled without knowing exactly who, how, when.

We know the door has been left open without knowing who or why opened the door.

The Atheist and the scientist claim that there is no supreme being or Almighty, scientists have yet to discover the species of fish and plants that are present in the rain forest of Brazil and 70% of the ocean is untouched. Perhaps they should do more research on this tiny planet using their tiny brains before disproving the existence of Allah who is far beyond their reach

once you watch this you're mind might finally switch on after a loong time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIbnUMqLQ78
Original post by Armastan
My parents weren't religious so I grew up without believing in any faith.. I didn't really choose to be non-religious, I was just raised without practicing beliefs. I don't think religion will have any impact on me because I've gone through childhood and adolescence without it and things have been pretty average, and I don't see how believing in something that isn't proven to exist will change any aspect of my life. Science has discovered how the world came to be and how we evolved over millions of years and religion would just try to tell me otherwise when it's obviously not true.

funny, many religious people have used almost this exact turn of phrase. i would like to point out that the scientific community has recently experienced an upheaval as the big bang theory has fallen out of favour with a growing number of scientists, we are experiencing a paradigm shift and there are 3 main theories currently vying to replace big bang. my favourite is the one about universes rubbing off each other.

nothing in this world is certain, especially science. (not that im saying science is inherently wrong or false, its progressing through trial and error)

is it really logically possible for something to happen regardless of cause? I mean anything...something must have been done to trigger the chemical reaction and cause what everyone calls "big bang theory"

We know the big bang (a cosmic expansion from a point of quantum singularity) happened regardless of "cause"...

umm... actually we don't, and an ever increasing proportion of the scientific community are looking for alternatives to the big bang. the strongest contender currently is cyclical expansion, the universe constantly goes through cycles of expanding and collapsing. although i prefer the one about universes rubbing off each other. there's another weird one based on coral formation that i don't fully understand but it doesn't seem that popular anyway.

the very thing about big bang theory that has lost it favour is the claim of all matter and energy existing in a single point or quantum singularity as you put it. the guy who's leading the cyclical expansion alternative said that when you try to do that the maths stops working and if that happens its because you're doing something wrong, hence him coming up with an alternative...
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE="malaikaxx;63400981"]

is it really logically possible for something to happen regardless of cause? I mean anything...something must have been done to trigger the chemical reaction and cause what everyone calls "big bang theory"

it is not logical for an event to have no cause but it is logical to have knowledge of an event without having knowledge of a cause. we dont have to have knowledge of something for it to have happened.
Although I really WANT to believe that there is a supreme conscious being, who cares about me and other sentient beings, I lack belief in god (a loosely defined term) for the same reason I lack belief in fairies, goblins, dragons, and whichever mythical creature you can imagine - there's not even a shred of evidence for its existence. Moreover, I've yet to come across a flawless, logically coherent argument for the existence of god.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2180859&page=3&p=40305766#post40305766

Those were my reasons for not believing; the lack of empirical evidence and logically sound arguments for the existence of God were enough to justify my (weak) atheism. But others may justify their atheism on the basis of what they view as evidence AGAINST the existence of God - namely, the evil/suffering in the world, "incompatible-properties" arguments and arguments akin to the famous omnipotence paradox (could God create a stone He cannot lift?).
Original post by Bad Faith
Because they're atheists...

Circular logic there.

Atheists do not believe in God because they're atheists.
They're atheists because they don't believe in God.

Bit of a silly answer.
The Atheist and the scientist claim that there is no supreme being or Almighty, scientists have yet to discover the species of fish and plants that are present in the rain forest of Brazil and 70% of the ocean is untouched. Perhaps they should do more research on this tiny planet using their tiny brains before disproving the existence of Allah who is far beyond their reach

once you watch this you're mind might finally switch on after a loong time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIbnUMqLQ78

Get lost you nutter.
[QUOTE="jonbass3;63401207"]

it is not logical for an event to have no cause but it is logical to have knowledge of an event without having knowledge of a cause. we dont have to have knowledge of something for it to have happened.

of course you do! its the knowledge of the cause which proves the event right or wrong, it all sounds made up and false if you dont explain what caused the centre of explosion ..im sure if scientists can figure out the series of events that happened afterwards...which is too complex for a human mind to comprehend they can also explain what happened at the very beginning, by stating its cause as well...that's when things fall into place
my physics teacher told us that scientists to this date haven't figured out 100% how this centre of explosion really happened as in what triggered the reaction and how this dot managed to explode in such a large scale to make what we call today the universe

The Big Bang happened, all the evidence supports it. Just because science does not yet know how and why the singularity expanded doesn't mean that it didn't, we know it did.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart
Get lost you nutter.

now you call me a "nutter", how about you try and finish your argument first, then you can throw at me whatever you want

of course you do! its the knowledge of the cause which proves the event right or wrong, it all sounds made up and false if you dont explain what caused the centre of explosion ..im sure if scientists can figure out the series of events that happened afterwards...which is too complex for a human mind to comprehend they can also explain what happened at the very beginning, by stating its cause as well...that's when things fall into place

i know my grandmother is dead, i have irrefutable proof that she is. however we don't know why she is dead. that doesn't mean were lying about it or that she's going to claw her way out of her grave(i hope, don't like zombies.).

im not saying that the big bang theory is right or wrong, i was just rephrasing what the other guy was trying to say.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

The Big Bang happened, all the evidence supports it. Just because science does not yet know how and why the singularity expanded doesn't mean that it didn't, we know it did.

umm. we thought the big bang happened, we were very sure, and we still know without a doubt that the universe is expanding and has been for a very long while but we're beginning to doubt if the singularity existed. more than a few of us are veginning to think that before the universe was expanding it was shrinking, until it shrank enough that the repulsion between electrons was strong enough to overcome gravity and momentum.
The Atheist and the scientist claim that there is no supreme being or Almighty

Oh, come on. At least get something right. There are plenty of scientists who do believe in supreme beings and the almighty.

If you knew how foolish you looked to the rest of us, you'd stop here to go away and become slightly more educated on these things that you claim to know a great deal about. It's embarrassing to even read the nonsense you're coming out with.

Latest

Trending

Trending