The Student Room Group

How to change a salt to a carboxylic acid?

My teacher said its to do with adding HCl but could someone explain the procedure to me?
The presence of H+ ions would cause it to become acidic I guess? Maybe some sort of oxidation reaction occurs. I haven't heard of this before so I'm just guessing.
Reply 2
Original post by Mayhem™
The presence of H+ ions would cause it to become acidic I guess? Maybe some sort of oxidation reaction occurs. I haven't heard of this before so I'm just guessing.

Reply 3
Does anyone know the actual procedure?
Reply 4
Original post by AqsaMx
Does anyone know the actual procedure?

Does anyone know how to convert a carboxylate into a carboxylic acid?
So I know you have for example CH3CH2COO- + HCL so would the Proton join onto the COOH part reforming the carboxylic acid and the Cl also joins onto it?
And visually how would you be able to see that the carboxylic acid is formed?
Reply 5
Original post by AqsaMx
Does anyone know how to convert a carboxylate into a carboxylic acid?
So I know you have for example CH3CH2COO- + HCL so would the Proton join onto the COOH part reforming the carboxylic acid and the Cl also joins onto it?
And visually how would you be able to see that the carboxylic acid is formed?

Yep exactly.
The carboxylate accepts the proton.

The chloride ion wouldn't join onto the carboxylic acid, it would combine with the cation from the salt. Say you had Sodium Propanoate, the Sodium, Na+, ion would combine with the Cl- ion to form NaCl.

Well, most carboxylic acids are colourless and soluble in water, unless you've got acid chains at about 8 carbons or above.
You could detect use the simple test for carboxylic acids (Sodium Carbonate and effervesence)
Reply 6
So you just get the carboxylic acid and Cl-?
Okay thank you!
Also are you aware of what the full experiment is?
My teacher said something about adding HCl until the solid disappears?
Reply 7
There is no redox reaction ini acid-base reactions. It's only the transfer of protons not electrons

Original post by Mayhem™
Reply 8
Original post by AqsaMx
So you just get the carboxylic acid and Cl-?
Okay thank you!
Also are you aware of what the full experiment is?
My teacher said something about adding HCl until the solid disappears?

yeah so the solid will be the salt and you add excess HCl to make sure all of the salt has reacted. :biggrin:
You hydrolyse the salt (I'm guessing you're talking about esters) with an acid catalyst.

Quick Reply

Latest