The Student Room Group

Special Support Grant - Has anyone had one?

I am in my second year of University (as a parent). I was with my partner for my first year and some of second year. However, now we have split, my 3rd year finance says I'm now entitled to a "Special support grant" -
Has anyone had this?
How much do you get?

Thank you
I've had one, yes.

How much you get depends on your income. (or that of your parents if you're not classed as independent)

Unlike if you're entitled to the maintenance grant, your loan isn't reduced. If you're entitled to benefits whilst at uni, your special support grant isn't counted as income.
Hello there!

Sorry to hear about your separation. Hope all is well?

Do you have a child (e.g: now Lone Parent), receive PIP or disability living allowance? These are often cases when SSG (Special Support Grant) are awarded.

Tiger Rag is correct, it should not affect your award for other income-related or housing benefit.
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
I've had one, yes.

How much you get depends on your income. (or that of your parents if you're not classed as independent)

Unlike if you're entitled to the maintenance grant, your loan isn't reduced. If you're entitled to benefits whilst at uni, your special support grant isn't counted as income.

I don't have any income at all as I'm not working whilst studying.
How much did you get? If you don't mind me asking?
Reply 4
Original post by darloviking
Hello there!

Sorry to hear about your separation. Hope all is well?

Do you have a child (e.g: now Lone Parent), receive PIP or disability living allowance? These are often cases when SSG (Special Support Grant) are awarded.

Tiger Rag is correct, it should not affect your award for other income-related or housing benefit.

Thank you - Yes all is fine. Just trying to sort out financially coping whilst at University.

I'm a lone parent with a 12 month old.
Original post by xlayla93x
I don't have any income at all as I'm not working whilst studying.
How much did you get? If you don't mind me asking?

Mine went on my parents income (because I claimed for a different reason) and I can't remember now. It was several years ago.
Reply 6
Hi,

I've been off college for 28 weeks and only just started to go back part time due to illness. My doctors signed me off as unfit for work, but I couldn't claim any benefits or DLA at the time as I was a full time student. Am I still eligible for the special support grant?
Original post by moll1212
Hi,

I've been off college for 28 weeks and only just started to go back part time due to illness. My doctors signed me off as unfit for work, but I couldn't claim any benefits or DLA at the time as I was a full time student. Am I still eligible for the special support grant?

Not if you're part time
Original post by moll1212
Hi,

In addition to the above DLA/PIP can be claimed while you're a student (or working full time). It covers the extra costs of being disabled regardless of circumstances. The only situation/limit on claiming is if you're in hospital or a care home for a certain period of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending