The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
What Is a Levantine then?!

We discussed that 30 pages ago. Go back and look.
Original post by Good bloke
We discussed that 30 pages ago. Go back and look.

Nope,if we did people wouldn't be asking what my people are,so just reiterate please
Nope,if we did people wouldn't be asking what my people are,so just reiterate please

I never boil my cabbages twice. it is there in black and white.
Wearing the clothes of my country without knowing its history and mocking it,that's what I have a problem with. 'Borrowing'

How is that damaging though? Is that really going to cause you stress or anxiety? How do you know what they know by simply looking at them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What Is a Levantine then?!

My mother is not German,she is Levantine. Stop saying that

Born in... Germany (so German)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Good bloke
I never boil my cabbages twice. it is there in black and white.

Apart from stating the obvious by saying I'm not an Arab,that's the only description you gave and now you're trying to make out I'm not Levantine. Just great!
As Syrian as someone born there to Syrian parents

Stop saying I am German when I clearly am not and don't identify as such.

I doubt that meine Frau:wink:

Some of them may not be so willing for you to water down THEIR roots just to suit your own lack.

But I would say you are really a great example of what constitutes 'cultural appropriation' you claim to be something you are not

Now given this I think I need to spend some time in a safe space away from you faux Syrians with your Italian and German parents:biggrin:
Original post by DiddyDec
How is that damaging though? Is that really going to cause you stress or anxiety? How do you know what they know by simply looking at them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well clearly in most cases of CA people are mentally or emotionally affected. So yes not so much stress but Anger
You talk to them
Original post by a noble chance
Can someone please explain to me what 'cultural appropriation' even means?

in sociology cultural appropriation is the transference or adoption of an element from one culture to another. e.g. manga/anime it belongs to Japanese culture but parts of western culture have adopted it. its something that has been happening for as long as humanity has had culture, we borrow and share ideas from all over.

something tells me that as this is the daily mail their probably using it wrong.
Original post by BaconandSauce
I doubt that meine Frau:wink:

Some of them may not be so willing for you to water down THEIR roots just to suit your own lack.

But I would say you are really a great example of what constitutes 'cultural appropriation' you claim to be something you are not

Now given this I think I need to spend some time in a safe space away from you faux Syrians with your Italian and German parents:biggrin:

Really? Because all my Syrian friends or shall I say Levantine friends see me as a blood Syrian.

How am I appropriating Levantine culture? My own culture?!!! :confused:
Well clearly in most cases of CA people are mentally or emotionally affected. So yes not so much stress but Anger
You talk to them

Talk to them where?

I have only ever seen the issue raised here and by a few select SUs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Born in... Germany (so German)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No No No
As Syrian as someone born there to Syrian parents

Stop saying I am German when I clearly am not and don't identify as such.

you would be better to just stop answering them, they certainly aren't and i get the feeling that you're getting quite wound up.
Talk to them where?

I have only ever seen the issue raised here and by a few select SUs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To gauge their motives? Talk to the transgressors
Really? Because all my Syrian friends or shall I say Levantine friends see me as a blood Syrian.

How am I appropriating Levantine culture? My own culture?!!! :confused:

How are you not meine Frau

Your Mother is German your Farther is Italian

Just because your Grandparents were from Syria does not mean you are (it does mean they are though)

as I said cultural appropriation at it's best naughty Frau.............
No No No

But Born in the UK = British

yes, yes ,yes (or have you changed your mind again)
How are you not meine Frau

Your Mother is German your Farther is Italian

Just because your Grandparents were from Syria does not mean you are (it does mean they are though)

as I said cultural appropriation at it's best naughty Frau.............

I'm Syrian by blood,please deal with it

And I can't be appropriating the culture of my mother and grandparents because that is also my culture hence it is not culture appropriation :u:
I'm Syrian by blood,please deal with it

And I can't be appropriating the culture of my mother and grandparents because that is also my culture hence it is not culture appropriation :u:

Born to a German Mother and an Italian Farther

Deal with it.......... (it really is nothing to be ashamed of you know)
But Born in the UK = British

yes, yes ,yes (or have you changed your mind again)

British is just one of those words to identify with where I'm living,it says British on my passport but do I feel British? Nah. I feel more of a foreigner living in Britain,this won't be my final resting place anyway
Born to a German Mother and an Italian Farther

Deal with it.......... (it really is nothing to be ashamed of you know)

I'm not ashamed of being Syrian. I take pride in my heritage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending