The Student Room Group

Do I need to learn trig identities for Core 3 AQA?

Is it necessary to learn the trig identities for core 3? If I know Sin^2x + Cos^2x = 1

Will I be able to just derive them in the exam with simple division or are there others that I need to learn/memorise?
Reply 1
Original post by Dinasaurus
Is it necessary to learn the trig identities for core 3? If I know Sin^2x + Cos^2x = 1

Will I be able to just derive them in the exam with simple division or are there others that I need to learn/memorise?

You should be able to derive any other trig identities that are requisite by division (either by cos2x\cos^2 x or sin2x\sin^2 x) of the identity you posted.
Reply 2
You should learn them and practice using them. If you are looking in the formula booklet for an identity then surely you're not going to be able to answer the question as well as you don't fully understand it.
Reply 3
I think and I hope so
Reply 4
Original post by B_9710
You should learn them and practice using them. If you are looking in the formula booklet for an identity then surely you're not going to be able to answer the question as well as you don't fully understand it.

They're not in the formula book
Reply 5
Original post by Dinasaurus
They're not in the formula book

Even more reason to learn them.
If your question is whether you need to memorise them or derive them, I think before it have an exam you should be at a stage where you have done so much practice that you have used the identities so much that you just memorise them. That's my personal opinion.
If in doubt, you can always just derive them.

Quick Reply

Latest