The Student Room Group

Postgraduate loans for enrolled students?

Hello,

I'm a student at RCA, which is one of the few institutions that offers 2 years postgraduate courses.

I am now in the middle of my 1st year and will officially move on to the 2nd year after exams in late May.

Will I be able to apply for a postgraduate loan? Some sources online say only people who are starting their postgraduate course in 2016 are eligible, therefore I would be excluded - do you know if that is a confirmed fact?

If it is true, I feel like me and all the other students in my position are being excluded from the government plan to make education more accessible. What would be the logic sustaining this criteria?

thank you,

Andrew
Original post by Drenoffa
Hello,

I'm a student at RCA, which is one of the few institutions that offers 2 years postgraduate courses.

I am now in the middle of my 1st year and will officially move on to the 2nd year after exams in late May.

Will I be able to apply for a postgraduate loan? Some sources online say only people who are starting their postgraduate course in 2016 are eligible, therefore I would be excluded - do you know if that is a confirmed fact?

If it is true, I feel like me and all the other students in my position are being excluded from the government plan to make education more accessible. What would be the logic sustaining this criteria?

thank you,

Andrew

Looking at http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/6965/sdnt-pgl-pres-16-2nd-v03.pptx slide 15 says
Students must apply for PGL within:

9 months of the first day of the academicyear where the course is a oneyear course;
9 months of the first day of the secondacademic year where the course is a twoyear course*.

*This deadline also applies to two yearfull-time courses that are studied on a part-time basis over three or fouryears.

This means that a student may apply forPGL in year two of a course lasting two years or more, and will be awardedsupport for both course years, i.e. years one and two (aslong as the student is confirmed by the HE Provider as being in study in bothAYs of the course).

Which implies that you'd be able to claim the entire £10,000 in the second year of a 2 year course applying this summer.

We're all still waiting for the nitty gritty details to be announced - I'd recommend you speak to the RCA to check that they're planning on returning their masters degrees to the SLC (they're unlikely to have dealt with the SLC before as they don't offer undergraduate or PGCE courses so there might be a bit of pestering on your part to get them to return their courses correctly so that you can apply for the loan).
Reply 2
I will make sure the RCA is made aware of this document you attached - is this the result of some update? I remember speaking to students support here a couple of months ago and they told me that psl for continuing student was definitely not an option - they made it very clear also on the website: http://www.rca.ac.uk/studying-at-the-rca/support/welfare/financial-support/funding-support/loans-for-study/

Secondly,do you know when can we expect the nitty gritty details to be announced?

Many thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending